Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

John... thanks Brother!!

Brad... I am not sure about the burgundy vehicle.

Mike... Thanks man. I figured it would be a good way to get the rivets the correct spacing....lol. Although I do have redrill one of rivet holes because It wasn't in line with the rest. So I will fill the hole and re-position it.

Dave.... Thanks my friend. Its getting exciting...lol

Ok guys I am happy to say that I have received my blower pully that I had Jim at Micro Nitro redo for me. Here is a couple of pics. I added a little black wash between the teeth to get a better idea of how it looks.

Here the pulley is the correct diameter now, I screwed up when I originally drew them up, I should should a comparison of the original and this one:

DP-Army-Vega4187-1_zps0d998457.jpg

Here the pulley with the blower:

DP-Army-Vega4188-1_zps06cabc11.jpg

and the Injector Hat:

DP-Army-Vega4189-1_zps4054842e.jpg

Time to get back to the workbench and get a little more work done on the car..... B)

Dave... Thank you. I took the kits rivet sanded it down a tad, marked it with a sharpie and used a needle to mark the center and then drilled them for the rivet.

Well guys I got a little more work done on this today. I was able to finish getting the holes drilled for the rear window as well as I got the rear portion of the body tin work pined to hold it in place.

Here is all of the holes drilled in the lip of the rear window:

DP-Army-Vega4227-1_zps67804c18.jpg

Here it is mocked up with the rear window in, with rivets placed in all of the holes:

DP-Army-Vega4216-1_zps362d376f.jpg

Here is one side of the rear tin pined, if you noticed I drilled the first one in the wrong place and will fix the hole:

DP-Army-Vega4229-1_zps6b18f675.jpg

Here is the holes for the other side:

DP-Army-Vega4231-1_zpsb9708f4f.jpg

Here is the ever green .040" rod that I am using as the pin which gets glued into the body:

DP-Army-Vega4234-1_zps87be85ec.jpg

I just think you are trying to find as many things to detail as possible so you can hit the 200 page mark! JK Looking pretty good man...your gonna need lasik for you eyes by the time your done though...beside the radiation burns from starring at the computer monitor all day for the day job!

Keep up the great work this thing is going to be a beast when it is finished! So take as long as you need to build it the way that makes you happy....cause thats all that matters in the end is how you feel about it......the rest of us just get to drool over it a couple times a week and maybe learn a new trick or two to improve our own builds with.

Brad... Thank you my friend. You are right that no matter what even if little it's getting things done and progress is being made. I need to finish this one up so I can reveal the next build... Lol

Dave... Lol at hitting the 200 page mark. I believe there is a side bet going on as to how many pages this build will have when it's completed...haha thanks for the kind words on this build. I can't wait to show some more details on this especially the engine and I am really hoping to have it completed by Desert Scale in April.

Hello All.... I have gotten the start of the body a little more done... not much but before I show those pictures I have to take a moment and Thank one of the builders here for them going way above and beyond when I had asked for some help. A while back I contacted Dave (Comp1839) in regards to details on pulleys for this build. I had sent a few drawings to ask him to check them out and give me some feed back on the sizes and the details. All I was expecting was to get a message back from him letting me know the sizes of the real ones since I know he has access to 1:1 parts. Well just the other day I had received a package in the mail from him. Low and Behold Dave took the time to machine these for me. I was totally blown away for one.... that he would take the time to make these for me when all I asked was for the sizes so I could model them in SolidWorks correct. Two.... The detail that he put into these I was amazed at them and I know he put some hours into making these as well. Dave I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me on these. I will be forever grateful and you don't know how much I appreciate what you did for me. I also need to thank Dave for all of the back ground information that I have asked him that no one here really knows about. As many of you know I have been trying to make this replica of the Army Vega Funny Car the best I can with the limited pictures I could find of this car. There have been many times I have send Dave silly questions asking if he had any info or even pictures or some dimensions on parts. Dave is a truly amazing modeler and he doesn't hesitate to help with info when you ask him. Dave is also an outstanding guy and just one of the many talented modelers out there that I look up too. Dave thanks again for being generous and going out of your way to help me with things.

Here is a peak at the pulleys. I need to do a little rework to my block to mount the new pieces so for now you will just get to see these little gems.....

Here is the 4 pieces that Dave machined for me:

DP-Army-Vega4244-1_zpsd768b2fd.jpg

Here they are again with the two piece crank pulley together:

DP-Army-Vega4242-1_zpsb000548f.jpg

Here is the blower pulley put into place to get a feel for what it will look like on the engine:

DP-Army-Vega4246-1_zps6403a583.jpg

Dave thank you again, I feel truly blessed not only for you willing to go out of your way and help me with this but to also call you my friend. Thank You.

So here what i have started on next. I am working on making a working escape hatch and since I was using the Jungle Jim Vega body and adding the Army Vega front and rear pieces to it, it had no escape hatch panel. I have taken and made a template to start with for the escape hatch from the Army Vega body and will transfer and cut out the hatch in the Jungle Jim Vega body. I used Tamiya masking tape laid it over the body, then took a pencil to draw the panel and then I cut the tape. From there I took the mask panel off the one body and placed it on the other so I could use it as a template to cut the panel out.

Here is the Army Vega body with the tape and then tracing the escape hatch:

DP-Army-Vega4235-1_zps1b4a5baa.jpg

Here is the mask template after I had cut the hatch out of the template and placed it onto the other body that I will be cutting out the escape hatch from:

DP-Army-Vega4238-1_zpsa8b07454.jpg

Chris, the hatch is looking really good and the pulleys from Dave look great. He is a down-to-earth genuine guy. I got to meet him this year and he answered all my dumb questions. He is not the kind of guy that gives you more info than you asked for. He doesn't flood your brain with too much. He answered my questions and when I asked for more about a subject he gladly responded. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge and we are all glad he makes it available to us.

Merry Christmas to all.