232 replies to this topic

#41 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

They keep re-issuing and re-re-issuing and re-re-re-re-issuing kits for two simple reasons. One, they're cheap to do. The tooling was paid for long ago, so the cost to put out a reissued kit is far less than to tool up a new kit. And two... people keep buying them! It's our own fault. If model kit buyers would stop buying the old reissues, the kit makers would stop reissuing them and put more effort into creating new kits. But as long as people keep buying all the old kits being cranked out, the model companies have less incentive to invest in new kits. By continuing to buy all of these old, lousy kits, we are causing the problem of the never-ending parade of old kits in new boxes.

The first which came into my mind, when reading you post Harry, is the Revell '56 Ford Pickup.

#42 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

The first which came into my mind, when reading you post Harry, is the Revell '56 Ford Pickup.

Yeah, that one...a couple other ancient kits that have been reissued over and over that deserve a modern-tooled version IMO are the AMT '66 Mustang (maybe as a '65 instead) and the AMT '65 GTO.

#43 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,833 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

So why has Ed Roth's Tweedy Pie been reissued for the umpteenth time? To begin with, the prior versions have sold over 11 million copies.

#44 pa3de8

pa3de8

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Banzaca

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Have not experienced a Moebius kit as of yet. They have a limited selection and they are a bit steep price wise. Unfortunately I will stick with Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and AC Moore's and their same old same old as I can get 2 to 3 kits for the price of one Moebius with the coupons.

#45 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

So why has Ed Roth's Tweedy Pie been reissued for the umpteenth time? To begin with, the prior versions have sold over 11 million copies.

Apparently it's popular...strange stuff. I wouldn't buy one of those, but a lot of people must like it.

#46 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

But that has no bearing on whether collecting them is popular or not. Antiques are also quaint artifacts of a past era, but millions of people are into antiques.

See comment #31 for facts.

#47 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,743 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

See comment #31 for facts.

See comment #47 agreeing with you!  :D

#48 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

See comment #47 agreeing with you!  :D

Just backing you up, Harry.

#49 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

see topic #34, I can personally vouch for the fact that stamp collecting is a dying hobby.

http://www.ecommerce...1354639290.html

and : http://www.vnews.com...tors-collecting

safe , for awhile : http://voices.yahoo....s-10725317.html

Edited by Greg Myers, 05 March 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#50 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,232 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Well the quick and dirty answer is the main demographic of automotive modeling at the moment is old, cranky, and above all else cheap.  

We could've locked this after James' reply. Round2, Revell, etc. know what they can sell, and at what price points their kits will and won't sell, so why add more expense and produce a product your target consumer won't buy?

#51 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Because it's awesome ? http://www.comicsall...ees-completion/

runnergundam.jpg

#52 Nitro Neil

Nitro Neil

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Full Name:Neil Van Zile, Jr.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

I guess I always assumed it was up to me to make them awesome.

Without the builder, they are all just boxes with pieces of scrap plastic inside. The fun part for me is making something out of whatever it is I have been given. The important thing is the journey, not the destination.

#53 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Because it's awesome ? http://www.comicsall...ees-completion/

runnergundam.jpg

See - even the leftover sprues have potential...  

#54 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

"Well the quick and dirty answer is the main demographic of automotive modeling at the moment is old, cranky, and above all else cheap."

We could've locked this after James' reply. Round2, Revell, etc. know what they can sell, and at what price points their kits will and won't sell, so why add more expense and produce a product your target consumer won't buy?

What you see at model car shows, club meetings, and internet message boards is NOT the main demographic of automotive modeling.

Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but casual modelers (1 or 2 kits a year bought @ retail prices) pay the freight in this business.  But what do I know, I just do it for a living...     

#55 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,602 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Why aren't all women beautiful, or why isn't everyone smart? Why are some real cars slow and dorky? Why are most models built into gluebombs? Why are we here? ;)

#56 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

So as not to pull this conversation off course, item two at this link addresses anybody saying it's all up to the builder:

http://www.modelcars...5&showentry=107

Let's forget the reissue angle for a minute.  Simply isolating new tools, if we compare different genres of kits, the level of "awesomeness" among current military kits is rather more consistent than it is in current auto tooling.  

This is a truth irrespective of anybody's personal philosophy on "fixing" kit problems, and it's more responsive to the initial post to point out that things are this way because the AFV guys will tolerate higher prices vastly over mediocrity, whereas it's usually the exact opposite with car modelers.

Forget detail and just focus on accurate proportions for a moment: a car body shell accurate in all three dimensions is now essentially a 3D scan away.  But while the cost of that technology is dropping, it might not be dropping fast enough to suit your cost-benefit analysis when you know your prospects will only spend so much, and that most of them might not even notice where you're wide of the target anyway.

Not to be Duff's broken record, but there we are.

#57 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,499 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ok, that was a generalization. You might find something that sells for the same price today as it did in 1962 if you look long enough, but you get my point.

Since stamps were mentioned...  the price of a letter rate stamp in 1962 was 4 cents,  and it's 46 cents today!

#58 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,743 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Chuck, I read the comments referenced in your post. Pretty much agree right up and down the line... you can't disagree with logic! I think one particular line you wrote sums it all up very well:

"What's the purpose of an online forum about car models if not a free exchange of information about car models?"

I would amend that to say information and opinions... but that minor nit picked, that one line says it all. For the life of me, I can't understand why people join in on an ongoing conversation and try to stop said conversation with the usual "there's never been a perfect kit" type of response. I think we all know there's never been (or will ever be) a perfect kit... or a perfect anything, for that matter. That concept is understood and at the same time, irrelevant to any conversations regarding a kit's pros and cons.

#59 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Why thank you, Mr P!  That's a very good suggestion and duly noted!

#60 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

Why aren't all women beautiful, or why isn't everyone smart? Why are some real cars slow and dorky? Why are most models built into gluebombs? Why are we here? ;)

We are "here" because we're not "there". We are here because we are not somewhere else.  We are here, because we are here.   And, in the words of the immortal Mike Brady: "No matter where you go, there you are." 

"Roll the bones..."

Edited by johnbuzzed, 06 March 2013 - 03:10 AM.