Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 69 Mustang front end CORRECTION RESIN!

I was looking around the web and found a resin company, DMold Modelworks, that produces mostly aircraft correction parts, but in their "other scales" category was a corrected front end for the droopy eye Revell 1969 Mustang Cobra!

I've not built the ones I have in my stash due to the daunting task of correcting the nose of this otherwise near perfect pony...er...snake....anyway... It's only $11.95 and has the corrected front facia and a new, more recessed grill.

This makes me VERY happy as now I can complete my Mustang collection (hoping to have one for every year or at least body style)

Here's a link to the page with the mustang part:

http://dmold-modelworks.com/contents/en-us/d12.html

I really hope the guy is upstanding. I have never done business with him. He also has some old big scale formula1 parts for correcting a lotus and a ferarri, but they're not my cup of tea, but maybe one of you guys might find it helpful.

Ken, thanks so much for posting this! I was just reading another member's post comparing the bodies, grilles and dashes of the AMT, MPC and Revell '69 Mustang kits, and I made a comment saying how much I wished an enterprising master modeler would create something like this as a solution for the Revell kit. Lo and behold, the next thing I read was your post.

Any chance you'll be buying one in the very near future? I'd love to see some pics and get your comments on how it all fits etc.

Edited by Monty

I get paid Tuesday and plan on placing an order for at least one, maybe 2 or 3 since I have a few of these. It would be nice to build a GT a base and maybe a coupe and or convertible, all of which will need corrected front clips.

I guess I had better get in touch with the feller and make sure it isn't an abandoned web site.

Edit:

I just emailed him. I'll let you guys know what he says. His name is Dmitri Malkov and is based in Tucson, AZ, USA. DMold has been around since 2008. I'm a bit anxious to see if this is going to work out. I'm going to place an order Tuesday. Hopefully it will work out fine.

Edited by rsxse240

I ordered mine last night. Thanks for the post.

OK, now I'm curious. Last night these showed to be in stock and today they're not. Did you get any kind of confirmation that yours would actually be shipping? I emailed him this morning asking whether he'd have any back in stock soon, but I haven't heard back.

He's an aircraft modeller and probably built a replica of his own or a friends car and figured why not cast it. I know I try and cast all of my own corrections or custom bits so I can have more for later.

How many of you placed or tried to place an order? He probably only had a few on the shelf.

As for all the thanks, it was my pleasure! I can't keep good stuff like this from our community. I just wish I had placed my order before posting it up here! Lol

I recieved an email from him.

Hi Ken,
Yes, this offer is actual but these sets currently are out of stock and some time is needed to restock them now.
Regards,
Dmitri

I am thinking he's going to need a LOT of them, not just a couple. I am going to email him again letting him know that he needs to make a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks since we were told about this kit. If you've purchased one and received it, please tell us what you think of the workmanship etc. Any downsides to it? All things considered, was it worth buying?

Pics of anything you've done with yours would be appreciated.

Mine came in today's mail from Russia in a rather beat up box. I have not looked at it yet, but I will report on it once I am able to put it on a body and compare it to the Revell piece.

I'll be very interested to learn what you think of this thing.

I received my resin parts from DMould Resinworks today, which is 15 days from when I ordered the part on line, and paid for it through Paypal. The parts came in a small box which originated in Russia.

1969%20Mustang%20Transkit%20001_zpsx7ryo

1969%20Mustang%20Transkit%20005_zps1dkqi

Inside the box was a small packet, which consisted of a Headlamp/Grille surround and a new grille in crisp, clean smooth white resin.

1969%20Mustang%20Transkit%20007_zpswwstn

The quality of the parts is reminiscent of what I have gotten from Replicas and Miniatures, and Historic Racing Miniatures, in that it was hard to discern these parts from the white styrene. They were that nicely done, and they were very well cleaned up of flash. I did a test fit on a kit body I have,

1969%20Mustang%20Transkit%20008_zps11ng2

and while there has to be an adjustment of the fender (thinning out the underside of the upper fender edge on each side, due to the realignment of the headlamp buckets, and cleaning up the flash from thh kit body) the part fit was pretty good, and vastly improved the looks of the model, virtually eliminating the droopy looking front end. They also reshaped the grille opening, and added a correct surround moulding to the part, as well as a replacement grille. It looks great. Unfortunately, I am not able to show my model with the grille attached, as I did not mount the grille to the car permanently, as I have to do some clean up of the kit body before permanent attachment of the resin part. In finger fitting the part, I am quite confident that this part will look much better than the original kit parts once properly attached to the car. I suggest that you work one side at a time when you attach the resin parts. I recommend this transkit if you intend to build this kit.

This is the look I am going for when I build mine.

unique-1969-ford-mustang-fastback-going-

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Ron, you're a fairly experienced builder so I'm curious if this commentary was solely the result of your attempts to match the resin front end with the kit body, or did the resin caster include some helpful instructions?

...and while there has to be an adjustment of the fender (thinning out the underside of the upper fender edge on each side, due to the realignment of the headlamp buckets, and cleaning up the flash from the kit body) the part fit was pretty good, and vastly improved the looks of the model...

Having seen your past work, I can't wait to see how this 'Stang turns out.

Ron, you're a fairly experienced builder so I'm curious if this commentary was solely the result of your attempts to match the resin front end with the kit body, or did the resin caster include some helpful instructions?

...and while there has to be an adjustment of the fender (thinning out the underside of the upper fender edge on each side, due to the realignment of the headlamp buckets, and cleaning up the flash from the kit body) the part fit was pretty good, and vastly improved the looks of the model...

Having seen your past work, I can't wait to see how this 'Stang turns out.

Whenever I get a resin part, I test fit it to the styrene to see how it fits. What I did was to set the hood onto the body, and place the new resin part where it is supposed to go. I noticed that the resin part sat about 1/32" below the fender line. At first, I thoght that the resin part needed a little clean up, as most do. In this case, I compared the ridge arond the backside of the styrene part, and the resin trans-piece, and I noticed a difference between the two parts. The flange around the bucket of the resin part was not as deep as the kit piece, and that is where the interference lies. With a little file work on the underside of the fender, and the fit would be perfect. On this kit, the styrene front end is a fiddly fit also. I know that because I have another one that I glued the front end on, and I was not too happy with how that process went. I got it on with even gaps, but I had to do a little file work on that too, so like I wrote before, I do not see much of a problem with the fit of the new piece, just as long as you work carefully to get the fit right. It is best to work one side at a time with either front end allowing the glue to dry completely, and you should smooth the edges and the mould lines from the fender.

There were no instructions on how to install these parts onto the car from the resin caster, as they go on the same way as the kit part. Maybe I should install the part on the car so you can see what I am writing about. I was not planning on this build right now, as I have several others to do, even though the red Q-Code I posted is very tantalizing.

Monty, I appeciate your comments concerning my abilities, and I cannot wait to see how it would work out too. To be absolutely honest, The Revell 1969 Mustang Sportsroof kit (the '69 Shelbyand the 1970 variants)has a few issues, which I will address when I put my touch on it. The other fixes are simple, as I have done the same to other builds.