Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've been convinced to put my on-going build of the pirate ship 'Black Swan' on here by my friend John Teresi. This is a copy of the movie pirate ship Black Pearl, but with the name and figurehead changed to bypass Disney's copyright. I actually started this back in 2012, but put it aside until last month. Hopefully, this time I can stay on it until completion. Box art and a shot of the 800+ parts.

BS000-vi.jpg

BS011-vi.jpg

The very beginning of the build.

BS012-vi.jpg

BS015-vi.jpg

BS020-vi.jpg

BS021-vi.jpg

BS022-vi.jpg

Well then I'll do one right now......LOL

Before I could go any further, I needed to build cannons to glue onto the lower decks before the sides went on. Each cannon is 7 pieces X 34 cannons total yields a couple of days of cannon building.

BS025-vi.jpg

BS026-vi.jpg

Here are the lower deck cannons in place waiting for the sides to be glued on.

BS026-vi.jpg

BS027-vi.jpg

And the sides are on

BS028-vi.jpg

BS029-vi.jpg

Paul... This is an awesome build my friend. Dang, That is a huge ship. I will be looking forward to seeing progress on this bad boy. It is going to be a beauty when finished. You need to find a Jack Sparro figure.to put somewhere on it...lol but I have a feeling may be a tuff job finding one that size. Art is right about it being a lot of parts....lol Wait till he has to do all of the rigging and the rope nets. I be those will be a Pain in the Butt...lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Paul, Hi there. :)

That is a rockin' little boat you got there. (Yes, I know how to get under the skin of SHIP builders.)

Actually, this reminds me of my Starship Modeling days before "You know who" steered me back in the right direction. Or should I say navigated?

Speaking of which, I hope to meet up with you again in Phoenix. I owe you a ride in my new Journey.

Edited by Nitrozilla

I'm glad you're posting this here. I've had Pirate ships on my mind wanting to build one in 3D in a game I spent a lot of time in called Landmark. It allows you to build whatever your mind conjures up in a 3D landscape. Watching your build come together will give me an idea of how a Pirate ship would come together.

And, gonna be just fum watching .. looking cool so far.

Thanks a lot for all the kind words, guys. Joe...I'll be at DSC...see ya there !!

Next step is the upper sides. I put them in place without glue but I didn't like the color. It's too dark, so they'll get sprayed with a slightly lighter shade of brown.

BS030-vi.jpg

BS031-vi.jpg

BS032-vi.jpg

The upper sides have been re-sprayed and installed. I also painted the railings with an even darker shade of brown. So this the point at which I stalled out at back in 2012. From here the ship was put aside until the beginning of March of this year. The reason it got put back on the bench was I got involved in a ship build on another forum.

BS033-vi.jpg

BS034-vi.jpg

BS035-vi.jpg

BS036-vi.jpg

Thanks John...and no worries.

Chris....Thanks and see you in a week.

I spent the first couple of building sessions cleaning it up.....so I decided to get a case to put it in to keep it free of dust.

BS042-vi.jpg

I painted the sails in Tamiya white primer and masked off the yards and sprayed them Testor's wood.

BS037-vi.jpg

BS038-vi.jpg

BS40-vi.jpg

John...no pretty pennys....a lot of dirty dollars

Thanks JC....I 'm waiting for those 13" minilites

Joe....you got that right

Brad....AARGH....'avast ye landlubber !!...LOL

Well....I'm finding out why I put this aside. There are 128 of these little pulleys which need to be cleaned up. And there are probably 40 more of another variety.

BS045-vi.jpg

I managed to knock the case and ship off of the coffee table and got a good chunk out of the case. But it's all good because the case dude was able to cut off 1 1/2 inches off of the bottom. Fortunately it still clears at the top.

BS043-vi.jpg

BS047-vi.jpg

BS048-vi.jpg

Edited by 2whl

You're going to be seeing little pulleys in your sleep for weeks. LOL Glad you were able to get the case repaired without having to redo it. How did the ship fare on its way to the floor? Be careful clutz.

That's Capt'n Clutz to you matey.....LOL The ship suffered minor damage but it was also repairable.

Mike....that was just for photo purposes....it's tucked away safely now

I added more details to the front and rear of the ship.

BS049-vi.jpg

BS052-vi.jpg

BS051-vi.jpg

I also added ropes to the gun doors on the closed side and installed them.

BS050-vi.jpg

Edited by 2whl