Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting idea, for a company with a big enough back catalog? (like Round2 maybe?)

Both the strong as weak point will be the support, there are always those who with the use of aliases will try to manipulate it, to push their proposal to the top.

Wonder if FB is a better medium then a company website for proposals like this?

Edited by Luc Janssens

The difference between the Revell "wish list" ideas site, and the Airfix Kitstarter (which a lot of the people making requests in the Airfix forum don't seem to have grasped), is that Airfix are asking which existing tools from their back catalogue people would buy kits of. It's NOT a general "wish list". There's obviously no guarantee that any request will get enough support, but it's probably viable to load the tools onto an injection moulding machine for a few thousand kits. Revell have got to decide which kits have enough support to justify designing, tooling AND moulding a new kit, which tends to mean only the most popular, that will sell in regular model shops, will ever make it through the process. With the Airfix approach, if you can find another few thousand "1:1 scale wild bird" modellers to join you, you can have your choice of Tits...

bestest,

M.

It looks like a pretty good program to me. This program seems to require pre-orders, and not just votes like others.

Airfix has a pretty good catalog/catalogue of 1/24 & 1/25 scale automobiles. I have their MGB (includes chrome and rubber baby buggy bumper versions), a Maserati Bora, and Toyota RAV4, all in 1/24. There are others, some tools were shared with MPC.

Edited by SSNJim

It looks like a pretty good program to me. This program seems to require pre-orders, and not just votes like others.

Airfix has a pretty good catalog/catalogue of 1/24 & 1/25 scale automobiles. I have their MGB (includes chrome and rubber baby buggy bumper versions), a Maserati Bora, and Toyota RAV4, all in 1/24. There are others, some tools were shared with MPC.

I'm not certain that those would fly. The MGB and RAV4 were Aoshima tools, and the Maserati Bora - I'm not certain, but I suspect that one to be of far east origin too. I really don't think Airfix have many 1/24 cars of their own doing.

...sadly not, I'm afraid. There are only two Airfix-originated 1/24 car kits: the James Bond DB5 and Toyota 2000GT Spider. All other 1/24 or 1/25 were bought in from elsewhere, often as bagged kits. A lot of them originated with Heller, and many of those are now being re-issued by the rejuvenated Heller (like the Bugatti T50, Delahaye 135, and E-type OTS and Coupe). The Bora, Silhouette and Pantera were, like a number of the others reboxed Japanese market kits from makers like Eidei. These were often originally motorised models, and the interiors and details are compromised to make room for the motor installation. The MGB is the rather good Aoshima kit (I have an AIrfix box and a couple of Aoshima's that I found in a charity shop. They also issued a few Gunze Sangyo kits, including (if you can find them) "Hi-tech" boxes of the E-Type convertible (which comes with white metal engine and a lot of pins to be cut up to join bits of metal frame together) and the 250GTO (which, sadly, is not the version with the engine, but DOES have some of the best etched wire wheels I've ever seen)

For us car modellers, the best Kitstarter can offer would be a number of quite good 1/32 British cars of the 60s and 70s, and the occasional exotic (like the Maserati Indy, which is already being re-issued this year).

bestest,

M.

...sadly not, I'm afraid. There are only two Airfix-originated 1/24 car kits: the James Bond DB5 and Toyota 2000GT Spider. All other 1/24 or 1/25 were bought in from elsewhere, often as bagged kits. A lot of them originated with Heller, and many of those are now being re-issued by the rejuvenated Heller (like the Bugatti T50, Delahaye 135, and E-type OTS and Coupe). The Bora, Silhouette and Pantera were, like a number of the others reboxed Japanese market kits from makers like Eidei. These were often originally motorised models, and the interiors and details are compromised to make room for the motor installation. The MGB is the rather good Aoshima kit (I have an AIrfix box and a couple of Aoshima's that I found in a charity shop. They also issued a few Gunze Sangyo kits, including (if you can find them) "Hi-tech" boxes of the E-Type convertible (which comes with white metal engine and a lot of pins to be cut up to join bits of metal frame together) and the 250GTO (which, sadly, is not the version with the engine, but DOES have some of the best etched wire wheels I've ever seen)

For us car modellers, the best Kitstarter can offer would be a number of quite good 1/32 British cars of the 60s and 70s, and the occasional exotic (like the Maserati Indy, which is already being re-issued this year).

bestest,

M.

Not surprising the Aston DB5 (and DB6) have already popped up on Kitstarter, so maybe there is hope to have them again. Given how often molds seem to be passed around, it would be interesting to know how many landed with Airfix despite their origins being elsewhere.

You mentioned the Heller re-issues of the E-types so I decided to start a post on which are good/ which are bad.