Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box art errors

With all the great box art that has been posted, sometimes its odd to see wrong art work. I only had 2 but Im sure there are more. Hasagawa did a series of 1966 kits a Cadillac, Thunderbird, Buick, Pontiac and a Chevy. The Chevy is a 1965 on the box and contents.

DSC04551-vi.jpg

DSC04731-vi.jpg

AMT 1937 Chevy modified Buyers Choice was released with 1936 Plymouth artwork then corrected the same year.

Contents with 36 Plymouth on box is 37 Chevy.

DSC04729-vi.jpgDSC04727-vi.jpg

DSC04732-vi.jpg

1965 last year for 409.

The MPC/Ertl 1989 Chevrolet C-1500 Pickup Truck "Produced Under License From Ford Motor Company".

Art

Under license from Ford? That's great! I wonder if Ford had MPC sabotage the kits, and then leave notes in each kit encouraging the kid to buy only Fords? :)

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Under license from Ford? That's great! I wonder if Ford had MPC sabotage the kits, and then leave notes in each kit encouraging the kid to buy only Fords? :)

Scott

More than likely someone at Ertl (before they took on Racing Champions, and well before RC2 bought them out) just let their skimmer leak.

Art

This one irritated me to no end when it was new :

post-6643-0-14448500-1436917800.jpeg

Why ? Look at the upper-left of the box art : a stock two-wheel-drive with steelies and hubcaps is shown ...

... but none of that is available in the kit's contents !!!!!!!!!!!

That was my first encounter with disappointment in advertising :angry:

This one irritated me to no end when it was new :

attachicon.gifdust_devil.jpeg

Why ? Look at the upper-left of the box art : a stock two-wheel-drive with steelies and hubcaps is shown ...

... but none of that is available in the kit's contents !!!!!!!!!!!

That was my first encounter with disappointment in advertising :angry:

MPC did that with the '76 Dodge pickup also...none of the long-bed annual kits '76 through '78 had two-wheel drive parts.

And I have no idea WHAT kit this box art model was built from, but I know for certain it wasn't built from the one in the box!

8688bt.jpg

I never seen this kit, I have a Porsche 928 1/24th flat box with flag in the upper right.from 1988 , simple basic give it away takes up space kit.

I had an AMT Chevy Nova (1976?) that was releases in 2004 or something like that. Showed a stock looking car on the box but was a streetlegal drag car in the box.

EDIT:

I belive it was this one:

$_12.JPG

Sold it not very long after I bought it because I was dissapointed that I could not build a stock version.

Edited by Atmobil

Well, actually, there were '70 COPO Novas--the Yenko Deuces with the LT1s were COPO. But there were never any '69 427 COPO Novas.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'd forgotten about the '70 Deuce at the time that I replied to your candidate .

I guess that my thinking was , The 350 is an RPO offering ... but not the LT-1 !