Model Cars Magazine Forum

25 T Fruitwagon

Darren B

Starting a new project with three large builds already being worked on this is crazy, but have been wanting to do this fruitwagen since the reissue of it, the fruit basket is kinda weak because your supposed to paint the plastic to look like fruit,  where I am going different on it is i am cutting out the sides and will be adding sections, or baskets with little fruit in it.

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

Edited by Darren B

Thank you guys, another thing that I am deleting is the fake roll up curtains that they molded in over the fruit  basket. No matter how well you paint it it just looks fake, getting some basic work done to get the engine halves together and sanding on the frame to smooth that out, that's where I am right now.  Pics coming soon as soon as I have something substantial to post.

I steered away from some of these heavily themed show car kits back in the day for some of the reasons you've stated- some of the parts just didn't look realistic.  Great idea to trim off the curtains and substitute your own fruit. Will be watching this come together.  Now if you can do something about those big fake ice cubes in the Ice "T"-  I'll really be impressed 

I steered away from some of these heavily themed show car kits back in the day for some of the reasons you've stated- some of the parts just didn't look realistic.  Great idea to trim off the curtains and substitute your own fruit. Will be watching this come together.  Now if you can do something about those big fake ice cubes in the Ice "T"-  I'll really be impressed 

Mark, I have seen modelers take clear sprue and cut it up to look like ice for coolers and what not, not gonna work on the Ice "T" but maybe something along the lines of using clear sheets of plastic to make the ice cube then half melt it with either liquid cement or something like that.

I saw some real clear ice cubes once on ebay just for the Ice T in sets of four...

another thing that I am deleting is the fake roll up curtains that they molded in over the fruit  basket. 

I agree that the fruit and curtains are unrealistic, but no more than the rack of pies in the back of the Pie Wagon. Remember that these kits were created for kids back in the day... actually we were those kids!  I think the fruit could be made convincing with some detail paint.  Or buy a sack of bird seed. It contains all kinds of types of seeds in different shapes that may mimic fruits in scale.  You still will need to do some painting. 

For the curtains...  take a piece of wide masking tape.  Spray Testors Dullcote on the glue side. It will neutralize the glue like it was never there.  Now you have a decent piece of textured tape that you can use to make things like roll up side curtains. It holds paint well.  I've done this successfully in the past.

Here's a box of neckties that I made from masking tape in a grand variety of colors. The truck is representative of a restaurant I used to frequent that would cut off your tie if you wore one there.  Old visual joke.

Edited by Tom Geiger

another thing that I am deleting is the fake roll up curtains that they molded in over the fruit  basket. 

I agree that the fruit and curtains are unrealistic, but no more than the rack of pies in the back of the Pie Wagon. Remember that these kits were created for kids back in the day... actually we were those kids!  I think the fruit could be made convincing with some detail paint.  Or buy a sack of bird seed. It contains all kinds of types of seeds in different shapes that may mimic fruits in scale.  You still will need to do some painting. 

For the curtains...  take a piece of wide masking tape.  Spray Testors Dullcote on the glue side. It will neutralize the glue like it was never there.  Now you have a decent piece of textured tape that you can use to make things like roll up side curtains. It holds paint well.  I've done this successfully in the past.

ramcharger_ties-vi.jpg

Here's a box of neckties that I made from masking tape in a grand variety of colors. The truck is representative of a restaurant I used to frequent that would cut off your tie if you wore one there.  Old visual joke.

Tom, thats a real cool idea will try it for sure thank you for sharing with me, and for the fruit I came across this person on youtube and guess ill have to get some clay now....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnDb2Kwj5Dk

Edited by Darren B

ramcharger_ties-vi.jpg

Tom, thats a real cool idea will try it for sure thank you for sharing with me, and for the fruit I came across this person on youtube and guess ill have to get some clay now....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnDb2Kwj5Dk

She made it look easy but i wonder how much time it took....

ramcharger_ties-vi.jpg

She made it look easy but i wonder how much time it took....

no doubt many years to perfect her craft but I am thinking to make the vegetables look good may have to dabble in the clay, I have epoxy scuplt and did some sculpting but will see how it comes out by painting them. This is what they look like.

336A0FBB-C661-4F9B-95E0-C1C7B9E585C2_zps5te2wkrk.jpg

Edited by Darren B

• 2 months later...

Have been working on just cleaning up parts and working on the engine, needing to find some reference on how the fuel rail looks on the real engine, but plugging away at this one...one thing I am changing on the engine is the stacks for the carbs are horrid to work with to get them to look good after removing from the sprue so decided to use these metal do dads from the rc end of the hobby shop for stacks..... and getting the fruit box cleaned up and ready to add shelving to it.... moving slow but steady on this one!

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG

Edited by Darren B

Neat project!

I redid the body character lines and added a bunch more using .040" half-round strips around the "C" openings, to the back of the cab and around the back window. Getting it to conform around that back window took some major patience! Something has to be done like this or that body looks like a slab.

Hosted on Fotki

IMG_1353-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

Neat project!

I redid the body character lines and added a bunch more using .040" half-round strips around the "C" openings, to the back of the cab and around the back window. Getting it to conform around that back window took some major patience! Something has to be done like this or that body looks like a slab.

IMG_1247-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1353-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

B)

That is really cool, love the like of the half round, never gave that a thought but will be adding that for sure, looks so much better thank you for sharing with me will give it a really good look.

Looking good Darren, really interested in seeing more of your work on this. i have a 29 AMT ford i was thinking of using for something similar...

I really want to get more progress done with this one for sure, I am slammed at work right now with not a single day off till Halloween then we jump back into working straight thru days in November this is our busy season at work so Ill get what time I can on this one and on the Egyptian raider, that project is stalled now due to feeling over whelmed with all the work that it still needs. Hoping to get an hour here and there on this one thou will have an update hopefully soon.

Long ago when the Fruit wagon was a very rare kit......but I wanted one...I built my own version. 

I made it from a Paddy Wagon kit. The fruit and veggies are made from oven clay painted. 

Easy to make. 

TOMSPRO1.JPG

NICE i love your version not to mention all the ideas you just gave me for the sides... thank you for sharing looks like ill have to get me some clay everybody's clay work is better than painted epoxy sculpt....