Model Cars Magazine Forum

Perrys resin?

Perry's Resin is a classic case of how not to run a resin business. There is no excuse, when it comes to the customer. Orders should be filled and product shipped with in the next working day. I keep reading stories about guys like this taking the money and hiding, or equally deplorable are the ones who happily rip off another caster's hard work. Is it any wonder resin casters have such a questionable reputation in the modelling world ? I really hope anyone who is owed parts by this guy can mount legal action to get either their parts or their money returned.

Edited by fractalign

There was a guy a few years ago (who has passed on since) selling stuff from Perry's Resin at the Toledo show and that's the ONLY way I would buy any of his products. He had someone else selling his products so the feds couldn't catch up to him for not paying taxes on his sales. At least, that's the way I had heard it.

There was a guy a few years ago (who has passed on since) selling stuff from Perry's Resin at the Toledo show and that's the ONLY way I would buy any of his products. He had someone else selling his products so the feds couldn't catch up to him for not paying taxes on his sales. At least, that's the way I had heard it.

Since Perry's is located in Canada, I doubt that avoiding the feds was his motivation.  Avoiding irate customers. however ...

I'm not a tax attorney nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think Nick was trying to say that if a foreign company is physically in the United States, the IRS will try to ensure they collect and pay taxes on their sales. Perry's Resin probably avoided the show because of the number of irate customers, with the taxes being a secondary reason.

I find it amazing that folks on this board, none of which have had direct experience, will trash someone on hearsay like this.

Perry's Resin is owned by Randy Frost. He used to come to all the US East Coast shows including Toledo and NNL East, with wife and two kids in tow.  Very nice people.  In 2006 Randy opened a brick and mortar hobby shop and put his energies there.  You can see the announcement on his website.  As such, he no longer had the time to do the show circuit so Bud LeFevre  sold Perry's products at shows.  Unfortunately Bud died and that ended the availability of the products.  To my knowledge  Randy wasn't avoiding any prosecution as he and his family still would occasionally show up at shows, even where Bud was selling his product.  Right to this end, Perry's, Bud and Randy were in good standing as vendors with NNL East. I have several of his kits, all bought in person at shows, and the product is all very nice.  This is all verified fact.

I don't know the current state of the business.  I see that the website is open.  I haven't communicated with Randy in a while, although I do know he's alive since he wished me a Happy Birthday on FaceBook last week.

Rob Sharp- NO resin company ships next day.  Most of them cast to order. Even ModelHaus shows 6-8 weeks on their website.  They run behind because it's one of those businesses where you can generate a lot of orders quickly and each piece sold has to be made one at a time by hand. You will note that ModelHaus stopped accepting orders because they were behind on orders and wanted to have stock to sell at NNL Nationals. Model Cars and Miniatures of Maryland (Norm Veber) also will not come to shows if he is running behind on orders.  It takes time to make nice product.

I'm sorry, but it's just not fair for people who don't have first hand recent experience to trash a person or business.

I find it amazing that folks on this board, none of which have had direct experience, will trash someone on hearsay like this.

Perry's Resin is owned by Randy Frost. He used to come to all the US East Coast shows including Toledo and NNL East, with wife and two kids in tow.  Very nice people.  In 2006 Randy opened a brick and mortar hobby shop and put his energies there.  You can see the announcement on his website.  As such, he no longer had the time to do the show circuit so Bud LeFevre  sold Perry's products at shows.  Unfortunately Bud died and that ended the availability of the products.  To my knowledge  Randy wasn't avoiding any prosecution as he and his family still would occasionally show up at shows, even where Bud was selling his product.  Right to this end, Perry's, Bud and Randy were in good standing as vendors with NNL East. I have several of his kits, all bought in person at shows, and the product is all very nice.  This is all verified fact.

I don't know the current state of the business.  I see that the website is open.  I haven't communicated with Randy in a while, although I do know he's alive since he wished me a Happy Birthday on FaceBook last week.

Rob Sharp- NO resin company ships next day.  Most of them cast to order. Even ModelHaus shows 6-8 weeks on their website.  They run behind because it's one of those businesses where you can generate a lot of orders quickly and each piece sold has to be made one at a time by hand. You will note that ModelHaus stopped accepting orders because they were behind on orders and wanted to have stock to sell at NNL Nationals. Model Cars and Miniatures of Maryland (Norm Veber) also will not come to shows if he is running behind on orders.  It takes time to make nice product.

I'm sorry, but it's just not fair for people who don't have first hand recent experience to trash a person or business.

Thanks for the explanation Tom, but there have been members here who placed orders and either didn't get them or it took many months for the product to arrive. You mentioned that you have several of his kits, ALL BOUGHT IN PERSON AT SHOWS, which is quite different than placing an order via website.

The resin business is a funny one, some companies come and go like the seasons and others hang around for a long time. You mention The Modelhaus and R and M of Maryland and I would say those companies have earned their excellent reputation because of the way they conduct business and I have seen some newer resin casters trying to emulate them.

If Randy is truly focused on his brick and mortar store and cannot run his website and resin casting company parallel to the hobby shop, then he should take them down and avoid all of the confusion.

And to clarify, I have wanted to buy some things from Perry's, but have stayed away from them as I read other's stories about their dealings.

I really, really, really want one of those 70-72 two door Mavericks but even hearing anything remotely negative makes me skittish to order from someone. I can't chance losing the money, which is a shame because the Maverick from Missing Link is a good bit more money (although I now see pluses to the ML kit).

Edited by Travis T

Thanks for the explanation Tom, but there have been members here who placed orders and either didn't get them or it took many months for the product to arrive. You mentioned that you have several of his kits, ALL BOUGHT IN PERSON AT SHOWS, which is quite different than placing an order via website.

Mike, my point is that nobody who piled on in this thread has first hand knowledge.We don't have "members here who placed orders" and if we do, none of them have spoken up.  I didn't address delivery speed via the website because I don't have that experience.  Nor is it fair for anyone else who doesn't have first hand knowledge to slander this person and his business.  Their website says allow 6 to 8 weeks.  Is a person like our friend above from Australia complaining because the order wasn't shipped next day?  We don't know. We cannot accept  "I heard from a guy in my club, who knows a guy in California who has a friend in Oregon who says Perry's took too long to deliver!"   I hope you guys can understand that point.  It doesn't matter to me if it's Perry's or someone I don't know.  This thread is hurting his business and spreading urban myth without any facts.

Sorry to break this to you Tom, but if you use the search feature on this forum you will see several topics of where people have had difficulties dealing with Perry's Resin. 

If someone wants to place an order, I would be interested in hearing how that experience goes, as it would back up Tom's claim that a good business name is being tarnished if all goes well.

"Sorry to break this to you Tom, but if you use the search feature on this forum you will see several topics of where people have had difficulties dealing with Perry's Resin. "

Mike...remember Tom is just expressing his  opinions  here.  

However,as you said (and isn't the only one)...http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/50087-well-looks-like-i-may-have-been-wrong-about-perrys-resin/

I know of several complaints about Perry's "service" over the years too,none of them were "rumors" or attempts to harm his business...

Edited by mike 51

Sorry to break this to you Tom, but if you use the search feature on this forum you will see several topics of where people have had difficulties dealing with Perry's Resin.

What? You expect him to acknowledge those who DO have first hand, direct knowledge and experience ordering from this place, even if it's another topic? :rolleyes:

Anybody who reads the topic linked above discussing this same company in the Model Cars: Aftermarket & Resin section should be able to realize this particular business has a poor record of both service and communication, period. There will always be a few who make excuses for them and others who have personal agendas which make it a conflict of interest to be honest about an aftermarket company, but that many negative comments and reviews speak volumes about the company.

Rob Sharp- NO resin company ships next day. 

100% false. Maybe not in your first hand, personal experience, but you are in no position to speak for every company nor every customer. Please don't. 

I really, really, really want one of those 70-72 two door Mavericks but even hearing anything remotely negative makes me skittish to order from someone. I can't chance losing the money, which is a shame because the Maverick from Missing Link is a good bit more money (although I now see pluses to the ML kit).

I suggest that you order from Missing Link. There will be less drama, better service and greater overall happiness.

buying online is a whole different than buying at a show.

Perry's Resin is owned by Randy Frost. He used to come to all the US East Coast shows including Toledo and NNL East,  

Tom, please share with us the last time he was at the NNL East- I am willing to bet it has been at least 5 years !

with wife and two kids in tow.  Very nice people.  In 2006 Randy opened a brick and mortar hobby shop and put his energies there.  You can see the announcement on his website.  As such, he no longer had the time to do the show circuit so Bud LeFevre  sold Perry's products at shows.  Unfortunately Bud died and that ended the availability of the products.  To my knowledge  Randy wasn't avoiding any prosecution as he and his family still would occasionally show up at shows, even where Bud was selling his product.  Right to this end, Perry's, Bud and Randy were in good standing as vendors with NNL East.

I have several of his kits, all bought in person at shows, and the product is all very nice.  This is all verified fact.

The issue is not quality of product, it is the service and THAT is verified fact in all of the previous posts.

I don't know the current state of the business.  Yet you happily defend him, blindly!

I see that the website is open.  I haven't communicated with Randy in a while, although I do know he's alive since he wished me a Happy Birthday on FaceBook last week.

Rob Sharp- NO resin company ships next day.   As Casey said, that is not 100% accurate. I have had several orders from resin casters delivered to me withing 5 business days. It usually depends on what is ordered and from whom.

Most of them cast to order. Even ModelHaus shows 6-8 weeks on their website.  They run behind because it's one of those businesses where you can generate a lot of orders quickly and each piece sold has to be made one at a time by hand. You will note that ModelHaus stopped accepting orders because they were behind on orders and wanted to have stock to sell at NNL Nationals. Model Cars and Miniatures of Maryland (Norm Veber) also will not come to shows if he is running behind on orders.  It takes time to make nice product.

I'm sorry, but it's just not fair for people who don't have first hand recent experience to trash a person or business. Again, share with us when was the last time you bought from Randy. If it was in the last 24 months, your argument is more valid.

Edited by mikemodeler

It appears Tom is mistaken about his "friend's"  business practices....

as a quick search of this site reveals years of complaints about Perry's Resin by dozens of different posters. 

It's a shame too since I saw NO complaints about his products,just his lousy service and apparent indifferent attitude.

MikeModeler wrote:

I don't know the current state of the business.  Yet you happily defend him, blindly!

Read often?    I never defended him.  I stated that I did not know the current state of business.  The point I have made is that NONE of the posters here do either.  Nobody in this thread had any business dealings with this business, so nobody here has any right to put accusations, especially of the legal kind in writing.  It doesn't matter who you are talking about, it's just not right. Simple as that.  

Read often?    I never defended him.  I stated that I did not know the current state of business.  The point I have made is that NONE of the posters here do either.

Since his site hasn't been updated since '07-08, it's apparent his business isn't in very good shape...

Edited by Rob Hall