Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '29 kitbash - an RPU - final update 10/30

Jantrix

Hey Rob! That all looks great!  

You no doubt found that the nailhead's transmission  just pops into it's mount on the cross member, and that many of the engine components like the front and top covers also just press into place. Great design on these.  One caution, if you are using the kit headers, I didn't have much luck getting them to sit right on the provided mounts.  So I reverted to my usual practice of cutting off the mount nubs, doing a bit of drilling on both the header and receiving point on the chassis and adding short lengths of straight pin to hold those in place.

Really like this build. But if I may suggest one change, would be going with smaller front tires. Just IMO.

I certainly see your point and agree with you. But, I'm shooting for a period look of a car that has seen both salt and strip time in its life. A raked look wasn't something they worried too much about back then.

Thanks for the advice Tom, I was thinking the same thing. I've removed the curved tips and the post for the muffled exhaust and have drilled out the end, in keeping with my theme.

More soon.

Matt, believe it or not it's a Valspar rattle can color from Lowes. I bought it for another project and I was surprised how close it is to the factory nailhead color. When I get home from work tonight I'll let you know the name of the color. 

More soon guys. Body is painted silver and I'm going to try to get a weathered bare metal look with some washes, powders and dullcoat.

Looking forward to seeing that bare metal look body.

Me too. :lol: Most of my work is done on the weekends, so hopefully I will get more done tomorrow. Right now it is all painted a dull silver. I'm going to decal and then dull coat. Then I'll add some washes and powders and see how it looks. Fingers crossed.

Okay final post before it's under glass.

Matt, that Valspar color on the engine block is called Moonlit Surf.

This is my attempt at a bare metal finish that's seen some miles. Semi-successful I think. The whole model is supposed to represent a rod that has seen both strip and salt in it's life and is still in cruising shape. Still have the lil bits left to do and a coat of dullcoat.

20151030_211515_zpsalogluqq.jpg

20151030_211531_zpstbf7a2fl.jpg

20151030_211545_zpsfx18uasg.jpg

20151030_211603_zpsnsvuhalp.jpg

Edited by Jantrix