Model Cars Magazine Forum

Future Possible Moebius Semi Trailer Kit?

chuckyr

• 1 year later...

Anything new in the semi family would be nice

While I agree with you that just about anything new (not a reissue) would be nice on the Class 8 truck world, I'm wondering what the return on investment really is.  If it's too low, then no company will do it.  Moebius should have the "copyrights" for the International trucks, & Great Dane trailers so maybe we'll see another International or Great Dane; but I find that unlikely.

While I agree with you that just about anything new (not a reissue) would be nice on the Class 8 truck world, I'm wondering what the return on investment really is.  If it's too low, then no company will do it.  Moebius should have the "copyrights" for the International trucks, & Great Dane trailers so maybe we'll see another International or Great Dane; but I find that unlikely.

I'm pretty sure that moebius made their money back on the lonestar. In Australia, the lonestar was used as a base kit for a kenworth t904. I don't think internationals are as popular as say kenworth or mack. 

Ben

You have to figure the Internationals sold well, but not well ENOUGH.  Because it would have only taken a minor tooling tweak to update the LoneStar to 2015+ specs, once DEF became mandatory (I don't believe Navistar will sell you one as a glider) the LoneStars lost all of that fancy side skirting and went to a much more conventional tank and steps arrangement because the DEF tank is mounted just behind the left front fender.  When they lost the skirts, Navistar also made a deal with a number of different companies to sell "fleet" versions of them, so I'd think for the builder looking to replicate one of the Celadon, Smith Transport, SWIFT, PGT, et al fleet trucks an updated kit on a limited run (ala Japanese companies) would have sold.

11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

You have to figure the Internationals sold well, but not well ENOUGH.  Because it would have only taken a minor tooling tweak to update the LoneStar to 2015+ specs, once DEF became mandatory (I don't believe Navistar will sell you one as a glider) the LoneStars lost all of that fancy side skirting and went to a much more conventional tank and steps arrangement because the DEF tank is mounted just behind the left front fender.  When they lost the skirts, Navistar also made a deal with a number of different companies to sell "fleet" versions of them, so I'd think for the builder looking to replicate one of the Celadon, Smith Transport, SWIFT, PGT, et al fleet trucks an updated kit on a limited run (ala Japanese companies) would have sold.

With the Mack Anthem being licensed by first gear and Lego, I reckon moebius would do a great job of a plastic kit. Personally, I think international isn't the best selling.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Modeltruckbuilder said:

Dave Metzner did say that there was a trailer in the future. This type of trailer would be a wise choice for Moebius, regardless of name brand manufacturer or a "generic" like the smooth side. I think it would sell very well.

Not that it means anything look at the box art for the International Prostar and what it’s pulling!!!!! Can that be a give away?????

C8CD4AF8-DC36-4163-B63B-18E1425D2DCD.jpeg.ba8267a2e8e54c220c2ed141e8091dd5.jpeg

8 hours ago, Modeltruckbuilder said:

Dave Metzner did say that there was a trailer in the future. This type of trailer would be a wise choice for Moebius, regardless of name brand manufacturer or a "generic" like the smooth side. I think it would sell very well.

Moebius did tell me that they were working on super single tires and wheels.  May be they will be on a new flat bed.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:14 PM, chuckyr said:

Moebius did tell me that they were working on super single tires and wheels.  May be they will be on a new flat bed.

On 12/10/2017 at 10:20 AM, DrKerry said:

Those would be kool to!!!!! 

While I would like to see a modern flatbed also, I DON'T want to see it offered with super singles! I won't drive a truck with them on and I don't want them on my builds either.