Model Cars Magazine Forum

More bad LHS news - Hobby Town Gilbert AZ

I just went to the Hobby Depot today to use the 50% off coupon I got in the October email. To me there was very little in that place. Lots of empty pegs. Very little in the way of car models. Took me a half hour to finally decide on a car model to buy, I didn't really like any of the choices. And they didn't have any Model Car or Scale Modeller magazines even. I bought a few supply type things as well as the model, but honestly Hobby Lobby has a better kit selection. There were a few that (my, at least) HL doesn't carry and I bought one of those. The Corvair Funny Car.  For most purchases I will be going to HL and using their 40% off coupon. Given the lower prices to begin with the kits are cheaper there even taking into the occasional 50% off coupon at Hobby Depot.

As far as Hobby Town goes, I was also just at the one on 35th and Greenway tonight. Tried buying the latest Model Car mag there, but the cashier couldn't figure out how to use a debit card with the chip installed, so after a couple of tries I told him to forget it. Only forget wasn't the word I used.  Might seem hard, but I will never go back to that one. I for one wouldn't miss them if they go away. Last time I was there (during a weekday afternoon) a week or so ago the cashier made me feel like he thought I was scum and had to be watched so I didn't run out the door with a magazine I picked up before looking over the kits. Which still seem to be at least 90% the same ones as when they opened. Not much new at all. But hey, they have a great selection of RC BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

Russ

Edited by russosborne

I have a Hobby Lobby 'bout 1/2 mile from me and they seem to be doin' good for years now. I sometimes see women spending $100+ often.

We're not sure what was going on there, it seemed to stay fairly busy and well stocked from what I had heard, then just closed up out of the blue a few weeks back?!

I just went to the Hobby Depot today to use the 50% off coupon I got in the October email. To me there was very little in that place. Lots of empty pegs. Very little in the way of car models. Took me a half hour to finally decide on a car model to buy, I didn't really like any of the choices. And they didn't have any Model Car or Scale Modeller magazines even. I bought a few supply type things as well as the model, but honestly Hobby Lobby has a better kit selection. There were a few that (my, at least) HL doesn't carry and I bought one of those. The Corvair Funny Car.  For most purchases I will be going to HL and using their 40% off coupon. Given the lower prices to begin with the kits are cheaper there even taking into the occasional 50% off coupon at Hobby Depot.

As far as Hobby Town goes, I was also just at the one on 35th and Greenway tonight. Tried buying the latest Model Car mag there, but the cashier couldn't figure out how to use a debit card with the chip installed, so after a couple of tries I told him to forget it. Only forget wasn't the word I used.  Might seem hard, but I will never go back to that one. I for one wouldn't miss them if they go away. Last time I was there (during a weekday afternoon) a week or so ago the cashier made me feel like he thought I was scum and had to be watched so I didn't run out the door with a magazine I picked up before looking over the kits. Which still seem to be at least 90% the same ones as when they opened. Not much new at all. But hey, they have a great selection of RC BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

Russ

Try down the road a ways, Andy's Hobby Headquarters  59th and Greenway

I just went to Hobby Depot yesterday for a can of Tamiya clear spray. The owner, Dick, is a nice guy. He has the biggest selection of all hobby paints I've ever seen, we talked and he told me that he orders on average $1,000 in paint per week. I walked out with four cans of Tamiya, and he ordered the Model Car Garage '57 Ford photoetch set for me. The store is primarily models, slot cars, and model railroad. No R/C. My kind of shop.

...went to Hobby Depot yesterday for a can of Tamiya clear spray. The owner, Dick, is a nice guy.....

If that's who I talked to when I pumped up my shape material & paint supplies a few weeks ago and when he allowed me to measure a wheel on one of his 1/32 scale die casts a month or three ago, I can vouch for him as well.

I would stay away from Andy's Hobby Shop,   for many reason's , I will never step foot in his store again.

Dittos.  

However, his shop seems to be the only place in the world that has Dencon Resin products.  Perhaps he will fill all those outstanding, paid orders that have never been filled over the past several years.  Just a thought.

Edited by Danno

I would stay away from Andy's Hobby Shop,   for many reason's , I will never step foot in his store again.

Bemoaning the fact that there are no hobby shops around and they are all closing, Andy must be doing something right. 

What is it he could do better for you ?

I find it amazing he makes a go of it located right between two "big Box" hobby stores, Hobby Lobby on Bell road and Hobby Bench a few blocks away.

Edited by Greg Myers

Always has the latest in automotive ( at least a quarter of his shop) as well as aftermarket PE , resin, paint and other supplys. On the other side of the shelf are plenty of Sy Fy. But not to worry, nary an RC in the building. ;)

I have been there a few times, I didn't see a good selection of aftermarket supplies, PE, or Resin. Lots of kits,  But thats hard to make a living off of especially when the other stores offer a better discount,  I had heard that Andy did have hard to find kits, but is He hiding those in a vault in back somewhere?