Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Challenger Dick Landy's Super Stock

Reeves Racing

Very nice build Mitch, the next time you get a red plastic body, spray it with silver, then your primer, and then your color coats. No bleed through. I just love dem Mopars!

I tried all the techniques including a coat of Future. I had to strip it every time (3 times). I have painted red plastic before but this one was relentless.

I won in the end though because of great friends in the modeling community and Sublime green... I'm going to make a Sam Posey road racer out of the red one.

20151016_165939_resized.jpg

20151016_165947_resized.jpg

20151016_165957_resized.jpg

20151016_193532_resized.jpg

20151016_193603_resized.jpg

20151022_211701_resized.jpg

20151022_211711_resized.jpg

20151022_211731_resized.jpg

20151023_230555_resized.jpg

20151022_211705_resized.jpg

Edited by Reeves Racing

Beautiful; job I always loved the car . Don't get me wrong I'm not questing your building skills but I have questions. The landy car challenger PS of this error looked to have a 71 style a 71 style grille I haven't seen a photo of of one with this grille. The Black painted on the car almost always looked kinda brown was this a phenomenon of the film used in the day. or was it actually black. Thanks for sharing you did a great Job and I'm very impressed.

Vince Putt 

Beautiful; job I always loved the car . Don't get me wrong I'm not questing your building skills but I have questions. The landy car challenger PS of this error looked to have a 71 style a 71 style grille I haven't seen a photo of of one with this grille. The Black painted on the car almost always looked kinda brown was this a phenomenon of the film used in the day. or was it actually black. Thanks for sharing you did a great Job and I'm very impressed.

Vince Putt 

Hi Vince, this was my inspiration. I don't think this car was in the prostock class but the superstock class.

5378324028_ee6a4eb47c_b.jpg

6040324794_95b797143a.jpg

l_484.jpg

Edited by Reeves Racing

Thanks for the quick reply can someone answer my questions for the correct colors of the Pro stock car ? Again you did a really nice build!

The 71 Challenger Prostock with the big scoop was painted with navy blue and orange stripes. I have never seen brown on that car.

Dick also ran silver base with red and blue stripes on some of his cars.  Hope this helps.

Vince Putt 

Vince,

D.L. ran a number of different Challengers and Darts with similar but sometimes very different paint schemes. Red, white, and blue. Red, silver, and blue, Orange, blue, and white and even a Dart Sport Pro Stock that was Orange, white, and metallic brown. More than one Pro Stock car per season and dozens of Super Stock cars over the years. Although sometimes similar, there was no "official" paint scheme  and set of colors that carried over from season to season.

WF

I don't believe this paint scheme was ever on a 1970 ( or 1971 ) Challenger back in the day ,,,until the current day built replica shown above.

My understanding is it is NOT a former DLI car ,,but merely a tribute .

Either way the built model looks killer

I don't believe this paint scheme was ever on a 1970 ( or 1971 ) Challenger back in the day ,,,until the current day built replica shown above.

My understanding is it is NOT a former DLI car ,,but merely a tribute .

Either way the built model looks killer

Here's a picture from Facebook page "Dandy Dick Landy - Tribute to A Legend" that claims it's from 1974 Gatornationals. I guess the best thingto do would be to ask Robert Landy to see what he knows. Also Geoff Stunkard is working on a book titled "Landy's Dodges" that should be available in 2016 that should have info about this car one way or another.

11430090_10207021615278194_3340738855798

Edited by jjsipes