Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '54 Chevy Sedan Delivery-Now in "Under Glass" Section-09/16

mustang1989

I saw one on ebay in 1/24 but it's been a while. I have tried to find a disco ball in scale for my van project later but no luck...

try using a roller ball from a roll on deodorant, coat it with contact adhesive and roll it with some pressure thorough some extra coarse silver glitter, then clear it to hold the glitter down better. If you can find some Li'l Daddy Roth Flake their silver looks like small pieces of mirror it's so shiny.

Mustang and slusher, go to some of the doll house websites and you can find a lot of stuff in 1/2inch scale. That is 1/24th scale to us. I know I have seen both the disco ball and lava lamp but cannot remember which site. I started looking while I was doing my 1/24th scale pool table! I have everythng done except the pool cues. Still trying to figure out those, but it seems to come down to a toothpick and a lot of careful sanding or find a machinst with some spare time and boredom!

Richard: Yes sir and throwing in a cooler and a case of beer too. lol

Del & Steven: Thanks for the tips and for dropping in. :D

Folks this gets more do-able by the day. I've got the bulk of it test fitted here and everything is clearing the roof line so far. A couple of shots:

003_zps23lho94r.jpg

001_zpshg2d2sea.jpg

002_zpsoudhhxqe.jpg

This is where things had to be adjusted a bit. The firewall was sitting to low from the rear of the body line at the rear of the engine bay opening causing a gap between the firewall and the body. I shimmed it up a little to close the gap up. I've already test fitted the body and I'm in good shape so far.

004_zpsdkljk1x6.jpg

Hope to get a little more done over the long weekend.

P.S. Just in case anybody spotted it....I am working on the front wheel center caps. There aint no way I'm going to leave those things as is! ;)

Edited by mustang1989

As for what paint scheme I'll be going with? I'm sticking with the box top on that. I just recently got my reprint of the originals in the mail....and for a great deal. I'd probably do 'em myself but I don't want to experiment with this one.

Scheme:

2015-06-09202015-06-092000120001_zpsj4ez

Decals: (The plates weren't part of the original sheet- I just had to do it!)

001_zpsbavvuxnp.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Lloyd and Dan!

Dan: Ha ha!!! Man I've barely got room for what I've got in there! lol

Well I took a break from all the test fit and prep work to get this thing to fit together. All that is going ok so far though. I mentioned that I was going to work on the wheel center caps for the front wheels. I just couldn't stand leaving the front wheels the way they were with no cap:

003_zpsmisyijvg.jpg

I then took the two rear wheels that did have a center cap and sanded the backs of the wheels down until all I had left were......well ....the center caps:

001_zpsj8c7v1al.jpg

I then test fitted them to the spare front wheel that still attached to sprue. This'll work is all I've gotta say:

002_zpshyjugnxi.jpg

Some clean up left to do but looks like I'm in business! :D

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Carl!

I've really been working hard on getting this thing under way in the last few days as progress throughout the last couple of months has been fairly slow.

Front wheels are completed in regards to wheel center caps and the flooring is now installed/ adhered to the chassis:

Ok I'm mostly finished with the rolling chassis and interior. I still have to build a master cylinder and power brake booster for it and add the brake lines but I figured that I'd start on the body some. To say that the body has it's fair share of problems would be an understatement.
I usually see mold lines down around the corners and "what-not" but on top of the front fender? Really????????

This is pretty bad too....

and this is just nasty!!

and then there's the fact that there's not a headlight bucket one for the headlamp lenses. That's right! There aint nothin behind the lenses 'cept atmosphere! Good grief!! I'll be Frenching in some headlight buckets later on..............

I'm really getting a workout with my body work skills with this ride. I forgot to mention these areas too:

The seam line that looks like an upside down "L" beneath that body line there. Wow!

and this:

What's fairly surprising to me, even for Revell, is the total lack of headlight buckets for the lenses. No bucket, no bezels...just pop a lens into a hole and that's it. I have to credit Mr. Greg Pugh here for the idea of fixing this problem. I approached it in a slightly different way but he's the drive behind this fix. Thanks for the tip Greg. Yes

I bought this guy here to rob the buckets/bezels from ...( Hey, I got it for 40% off at HL so it wasn't too expensive of an addition)

I frenched this one in there to show the difference this is gonna make by cutting the headlight opening back to match the headlight buckets diameter and trimming the inside of the opening so it would fit. In the following pictures you can see where I've gotten rid of a lot of the riff-raff in regards to seam/mold lines with the initial sanding. Wet sanding is to follow. I'll be taking care of the hood hinge cut-outs as well by filling those in.

Viva la difference:

I've still got a looooooooooooong way to go on the clean up just on the front end though. As tough as it's gonna be , it's far from impossible I can promise you that! :wink:

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Carl. One of the good things about just picking up another kit for a specific part is that I get a lot of other parts with it. I've got several engines, wheels, tires and a slew of other details that will come in handy for builds to come.

Hey there Joe. Surprise! Bet ya been wondering if Id ever get in here to check your build out. It's been a busy winter and spring around here. The wife and I are planing to hit the road and travel for a few years starting next summer after she retires, So we've been spending a lot of time trying to get years of household accumulation taken care of, That and getting all the odds and ends issues with our motor-home taken care of, after all its going to be our home on wheels for awhile. We may even come visit you when we finally hit the road. Sorry to here about you wife's issues, but glad she's doing better. My wife's cancer is now in remission and she is doing a lot better also. 

I spent the past few hours going through your entire build thread. I'm extremely impressed with the quality of your detailing buddy. I will do my best to keep up with you here.

Sincerely

Jim

Carl: I appreciate your good comments buddy!

Jim: Well whaddaya know??? He's back in action!! It's really good to see you back Jim and you have been missed. Sorry I haven't been in touch for a while as I just have had my hands full. Thank you for the good word on the build and I'm looking forward to checking that Blazer out.

Dan: Man that is one hekuva understatement on the mold lines. I aint ever seen this many on a model. I think they managed to put enough lines on this one for 3 models worth!! I appreciate the vote of confidence. :D Sorry I've been out of touch with you as well. I'm hoping to make the show in Austin this year. Maybe we can hook up again.

Thanks Nick!

John: I hear you on the "moldsteps". LOL! I appreciate the encouragement on this beast. I'm going to finish it one way or the other.

I'm getting ready to go to Kansas for this next week. I'll be taking the body with me with some clean up tools in order to keep progress moving along but I decided to post some of the progress since Friday. I did manage to smooth out a lot of the mold line issues on the whole front clip.

For instance, the mold lines on the top of the fenders are now gone and I'm filling in those nasty hood hinge cut outs:

003_zpsomunqwbv.jpg

The upside down "L" 's are gone from the front of the fenders on the sides:

002_zpsht6mfgs9.jpg

and the disgusting seam line between the headlamp opening and the hood line are now gone as well.

001_zpsogjghco3.jpg

Still got some work to do to the hinge openings but here's little bit more clear view:

004_zpsgveveiii.jpg