Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '54 Chevy Sedan Delivery-Now in "Under Glass" Section-09/16

mustang1989

Kevin: They've got a couple on ebay

Dave: Thanks buddy!

I applied the decals onto the other side this morning. I'll clean up the body from all the residue and shoot another coat of gloss in the next day or so.

Edited by mustang1989

Kevin: They've got a couple on ebay

Oh yea, there's always a few on feebay. It's certainly on my "to get" list, but not for a while probably. In a couple of weeks, I'll be ordering yet another Revell/Monogram '70 Challenger to use on a R/T convertible I've wanted to get started on.

Had to test fit the body today with a day after the lacquer coat had been laid over the decals. I do have some work to do as this coat didn't turn out as pristine as the first one did. I've got to wait a few days before I can start sanding and smoothing this coat out to come back over it with hopefully one last coat.

Here are the fruits of 6 months work so far:

That sounds good on the Challenger. Is this a continuation of that blue beauty you were on last year?

Nope, that one was a straight T/A. I'll be combining the Revell T/A with the AMT R/T convertible, to (hopefully), get one accurate R/T convertible. I then need to buy an additional T/A to get the parts that I misplaced on the T/A you're thinking of.

I'd like to say a big thank you in one shot here to everybody that commented and then:

Ed: It took a lot of back and forth decision making on the wheels. I thought of Centerlines, Welds and even some skinny fronts and wide rears with Rally wheels before I decided on the combo here.

Dave: Stance was right there with the wheels in terms of where I wanted it and I've never gone all out on modifying before to achieve a look like this.

Kevin: I'll be in on that Challenger build....rest assured.

Carl, Bruce and Jeremy: You guys encouragement is always appreciated- Jeremy it's great to have you back around these parts.

Rich: I know what you're talking about and to tell you the truth I've thought the same thing. I usually do that before I mount up the tires on the wheels. I may give it a shot with the wheels on there using some Tamiya Smoke.

I ended up applying a coat of Tamiya Smoke to the wheels today which really brings them out more if you ask me. I intended to do this from the start but one thing lead to another and before I knew it the wheels & tires were on the vehicle. After I noticed it I was too chicken to attempt the coating but the more I looked at it (and with a little nudging from Rich)  the more I decided it had to be done to get rid of that toy chrome look.

Before: (notice the high glare from them here)

and after: (a more defined and realistic look and this picture has even been lightened)

Thanks Kevin and Jeremy!

I didn't do any modeling today as I was busy the whole day but this morning started out pretty dang cool. I have a friend of mine who's got one of these and invited me out on about a one hour cruise in it. Totally freekin' awesome!! Hope everybody who celebrates it had a good 4th of July today.

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Kevin and Jeremy!

I didn't do any modeling today as I was busy the whole day but this morning started out pretty dang cool. I have a friend of mine who's got one of these and invited me out on about a one hour cruise in it. Totally freekin' awesome!! Hope everybody who celebrates it had a good 4th of July today.

Cool looking car, Joe. I traditionally celebrate the 4th with lots of grilled chow, and this weekend has been no exception. I used to shoot off fireworks every year, but the last couple of years I've been unable to justify the expense.

LOL.  I hear you on that Kevin....loud and clear. There was no shortage of food this year as my wife's birthday is on the 3rd. We had plenty of shrimp for tacos on the 4th and had an ice cream cake to enjoy that with. I'm still stuffed! lol.

Folks I have mixed feelings about the Wet Look Gloss. It does produce a gloss that is unrivaled compared to any I've used so far but it has a serious draw back of bubbling due to the immense aeriation characteristic it has. From now on I'll be dispensing it into a paint bottle to allow time for the air to work itself out and then airbrushing it on. Lesson learned. I am, however, working past it. It took about three hours of wet sanding and polishing  to get this stuff to behave but once I tamed it-it produced a gloss that I never thought would end.

Here's what I'm talking about in terms of bubbles..........and they were everywhere!

after wet sanding and polishing:

This is more like what was on the majority of the body.Indifferent I'll be using the same approach to this bad boy

Edited by mustang1989

Been following your build and really like how it is turning out. Like you and others I have experienced the same "bubbling" with this clear coat. My last build had some on the top edge of the wheel openings and I spent a lot of time sanding and polishing to the point I was afraid I would go thru the paint and had to just leave it. I think it had as much to do with the high humidity as any thing.  

Been following your build and really like how it is turning out. Like you and others I have experienced the same "bubbling" with this clear coat. My last build had some on the top edge of the wheel openings and I spent a lot of time sanding and polishing to the point I was afraid I would go thru the paint and had to just leave it. I think it had as much to do with the high humidity as any thing.  

Perhaps that's part of it. I have a hygrometer in the basement, and it currently reads at 62% humidity.