Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han 1970 Cadillac Eldorado

I apologize if I'm becoming bothersome with an onslaught of topics about the Jo-Han Caddys, but I have taken quite an interest in these kits as of lately, however, I know very little about them and info online can be rather scarce or vague so I like to get first hand opinions from experienced model builders here :D

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a 70 Eldorado customizing kit (green car with ski rack on box), and I was just wondering how detailed and accurate a representation of the actual car it is?

Another thing is, the seller states he is "not sure" the kit is complete... There is a picture, but being totally unfamiliar with the kit, I'm having a hard time telling whether it is in fact complete or not...

The pic is not the best, but it's all I have to work with... In particular, I would like to know if both tail lights and the complete ski/rack assembly are present? I'm pretty sure about the rest, but if anyone notices any crucial bits missing, please do speak up!

Much thanks in advance :D

unnamed.jpg

Edited by PowerPlant

its hard to say if the both taillight lenses are there from the photo but it appears to be missing one of them to me...the ski poles,etc. are just above the tires in the photo.  Its a pretty detailed kit builds nicely with work...finding missing parts could become hard to do...I know this first hand I have a bunch I have been looking for parts to for over 10 years with not much of any luck.

Thanks for the quick response!

Those taillights do worry me... I cannot find a good parts layout pic online, but if anyone has this kit, I'd love to see it, especially what the clear red parts look like...

Another problem is, the hood apparently has some heat warpage to it... It seems repairable by filling/sanding, but I was wondering about the details that might be lost as a result? Again, not a great pic, but not much choice unfortunately... Any ideas?

$_85.JPG

If you're looking on ebay, send the seller a message.

I ask questions all of the time when I'm concerned about a particular issue.

Specifically ask him if both tail lights are present.

And if you have any other questions, ask.

That way you'll have the upper hand if it arrives & there's anything wrong.

Steve

I have a 1970 Eldo down in the unbuilt stash in the basement.  Looking at the photo, it is hard to tell if anything is missing, except the obvious of a taillight (which might be in the box).  The only clear plastic is the windshield/backlight and the only red plastic is the taillights.  The "heat" warpage (or whatever caused it) would be a no-go for me as a good amount of body work would be needed to correct.  My Eldo is molded in orange.

Thanks for all your replies, fellas :D

Indeed, I do believe sourcing a single spare taillight could prove to  be a problem, but then again, you never know as I do see Jo-Han spare parts occasionally pop up on ebay... It's just they're not too cheap, if I remember correctly a set of 68 taillights recently went for something like 10 bucks.

Another option, I guess, should all else fail, is to scratchbuild one out of plastic (clear or not) and paint it silver/transparent red... Not a perfect solution, but could work well enough...

As for the hood, I thought the same about it being a lot of work, especially if it is warped out of allignment with the rest of the body (which it doesn't seem to be), but... Even while the asking price for it isn't a REAL bargan, at just over 30 bucks shipped it's not too expensive either, and being a rare kit it seems like a worthwhile modelling challenge to take on this project... I guess I'll sleep on it and decide by  morning hoping nobody beats me to it :P

Edited by PowerPlant

That kit, around here at swap meets goes for $80-$100.

Well then... I guess all the extra work and hassle with the kit are worth the difference of 50-70 bucks compared to a pristine example! :D

And it's not exactly like I can pick and choose Jo-Han kits left and right anyway :P

Edited by PowerPlant

Well then... I guess all the extra work and hassle with the kit are worth the difference of 50-70 bucks compared to a pristine example! :D

And it's not exactly like I can pick and choose Jo-Han kits left and right anyway :P

That is one way to look at it....Johan kits seem to be getting harder to find or afford everyday here in my area.  Some of their kits had defects when they were new...still I love them and even their snap kits myself.

Modelhaus has the tailights but listed for the '68 kit. They're the same as the '70 parts. [kit parts, not the 1/1 car] Listed at $3.00 for a set. 

You might also check for built kits on e-bay for parts. The '70 Eldos really arn't that rare. I got this '69 at NNL East a few years ago for 10 bucks.

145 4518

"Anyway, I'm looking to buy a 70 Eldorado customizing kit (green car with ski rack on box), and I was just wondering how detailed and accurate a representation of the actual car it is?"

If you're concerned about the accuracy of the taillights, the '67 taillights on the real car differ from the '68 and '69, and the '70 is slightly different from the earlier ones.  The '70 parking lights are slightly different from the '68 and '69, and are not used on the '67.  The cornering lights on the '70 differ from the earlier ones.  All in all, it's a good model.  The dual snorkel air cleaner is incorrect on all years.  That was a Toronado part that was copied for the Eldorado kit. 

In the model car world, they are all essentially the same and are not that rare.  I suggest you keep looking for a better kit or buy this one and another to make one good kit.  

I wasn't really wondering about the accuracy of taillights, but accuracy and details of the kit in general... The issue with the taillights was whether they are there or not ;)

And if this kit isn't rare why do people pay the above mentioned 80-100 bucks for  it, not to mention asking prices of as much as 160 dollars on ebay???

Just because something is rare it does not command a high price...some rare models can be gotten very reasonable still if one looks or shops around.  Sometimes you just get lucky too.  While some expect big bucks for stuff some do not or have no clue what they really have or what its worth...there only worth what someone is willing to pay for them anyway.  I once got a 68 Impala convertible SS promo in near mint condition at a garage sale for 5.oo and was happy to pay that for it...there pretty rare too.

There is a mint sealed now for $75. if paid $45 for mine,and i have another built in good condition. I would not pay more

then $50-60 for a mint sealed one. These kits arent very rare and pop up all the time. If you pay $100 you either have

to much money or just got to have the 1970,if you pay $160 your brain must be asleep. 

Just because something is rare it does not command a high price...some rare models can be gotten very reasonable still if one looks or shops around.  Sometimes you just get lucky too.  While some expect big bucks for stuff some do not or have no clue what they really have or what its worth...there only worth what someone is willing to pay for them anyway.  I once got a 68 Impala convertible SS promo in near mint condition at a garage sale for 5.oo and was happy to pay that for it...there pretty rare too.

Agreed, to some degree .  Rare doesnt always equate into valuable .

But when it comes to Johan kits , they are / were the only game in town for a bunch of subjects  back then . I personally dont ever see getting a new tool 1970 Cadillac at any time in the future . This why I said at $30, IMO its a no brainer

To me about any Johan kit is worth upwards of $30-40 range  and most can/will easily climbing into tripple digits on a regular basis . Even some builups are climbing near tripple digits consistantly. Just today I bought a builder 1960 Dodge Polara kit, and it cost me almost $80, not including postage .

I wasn't really wondering about the accuracy of taillights, but accuracy and details of the kit in general... The issue with the taillights was whether they are there or not ;)

And if this kit isn't rare why do people pay the above mentioned 80-100 bucks for  it, not to mention asking prices of as much as 160 dollars on ebay???

To answer your original question, yes, it is a fairly nicely detailed kit........for it's day.

Of course, it's not going to measure up to today's kit standards, but for 1970 it was very nice!

Steve