Model Cars Magazine Forum

Delage D8 SS

bbowser

My first attempt at a Heller kit, I must say I'm impressed.  Aside from the multi-piece body and the odd molded-in-clear interior panels it went together pretty well.  Not a huge number of parts but the engine is fairly detailed, especially the carbs, and the working steering is quite in scale.  I've got some more of these in the stash for the coming months.  Comments welcome, thanks for looking.

Great job, Bruce. It's certainly a sturdy looking beast, isn't it? Like a "cut'n'shut" with the front end of a Rolls-Royce and the back end of a Mercedes 500K...

Are those front wings/fenders well-located, or are they like the ones on the Delahaye, which were a nightmare to fix in place?

I do like this series of Heller kits, too... I'd like the Talbot Lago Record and Hispano-Suiza, myself.

All the best,

Matt

My first attempt at a Heller kit, I must say I'm impressed.  Aside from the multi-piece body and the odd molded-in-clear interior panels it went together pretty well.  Not a huge number of parts but the engine is fairly detailed, especially the carbs, and the working steering is quite in scale.  I've got some more of these in the stash for the coming months.  Comments welcome, thanks for looking.

DSCN1396_zpsjhltakyk.jpg

DSCN1386_zpszje7ey71.jpg

DSCN1360_zpsvlugscjf.jpg

DSCN1394_zpshyjwkuma.jpg

DSCN1392_zpsfou1dbpq.jpg

DSCN1387_zpse5ew805z.jpg

Very Nice!!   -Are the gauges decals?

Great job, Bruce. It's certainly a sturdy looking beast, isn't it? Like a "cut'n'shut" with the front end of a Rolls-Royce and the back end of a Mercedes 500K...

Are those front wings/fenders well-located, or are they like the ones on the Delahaye, which were a nightmare to fix in place?

I do like this series of Heller kits, too... I'd like the Talbot Lago Record and Hispano-Suiza, myself.

All the best,

Matt

Hi, Matt!, is the Hispano Suiza kit hard to find? My wife and I are watching an Australian t.v. series called, Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries, and Miss Fisher drives one. It'd be cool to build one like it!

All the best,

Matt

Thanks Matt!  The front fenders fit pretty well, it was the hood that gave me fits.  The chrome strip down the middle is too thick and wouldn't let the hood sit on the cowl correctly.  There was some pain and suffering (and bad language) before I got it to fit, kinda.  Good to know about the Delahaye, I have that one in the pile for the future.

Edited by bbowser

Didn't even know this kit exists! Very nice. B)

Thank you Harry.  I know you don't do 1/24 but there are some interesting subjects in these old Heller kits.  I have the Delahaye (as well as the fire engine), a 540K Mercedes, and the blower Bentley on the shelf. There are others I'm looking to snag on eBay.

Hi, Matt!, is the Hispano Suiza kit hard to find? My wife and I are watching an Australian t.v. series called, Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries, and Miss Fisher drives one. It'd be cool to build one like it!

I t pops up on eBay in the old box pretty regularly... but it's also been reissued by Heller now:

http://www.heller.fr/fr/maquettes/maquettes-voitures-classique/477-172-hispano-suiza-k6--3279510807042.html

...so you should be able to find it easily.

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

I love it! The Heller classics certainly aren't shake'n'bake but, as you've shown, they can produce a great result. (They respond well to French swear words.)

LOL I'll have to keep that in mind!  It's been a long time since high school French class, I'll have to do some i'net research :lol:

I love the old brass era cars and yours is a nice build of a car from that period. Heller kits have a worse reputation then they deserve but here in Canada there appears to be no one importing them so they're very hard to get. I've had my local hobby shop trying to get a couple of recent Heller releases with no sucess.