Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Couple of Pics of the Eleanor Conversion Kit

First of all, thanks must go to Greg Wann. I came across a thread that said he was still making this kit and contacted him. He got back to me quickly and gave me the order info and a very reasonable $35 price. I mailed off my MO and it was in the mail a day later. He was very patient, even though he had to mail it twice because I forgot to give him the Apt. #!

My pictures aren't great, but should give you an idea. These pictures are taken right out of the box. You get a well-cast body, hood and wheels and clear resin lenses. Looks like clean up will be minimal. Due to work, it will be a while before I can start on it, but I'm really glad to get it. Maybe it will even inspire me to work on my EllieMae F150 conversion, yet another project that I set aside. I also just found out that my local Pep Boys sell Pepper Gray in Dupli Color cans. Thanks again, Greg!

eleanor.PNG

eleanor1.PNG

Thank you, Gary, you are all welcome.  I do appreciate your posting the photos and the kind comments from you and Daniel.  The Eleanor has become a desired item.  It is cheap because I realize the original kit has PE parts that I can't make and are difficult to obtain.  I am certain it will be difficult to source the parts to make a good build.  But, then again most of you I imagine are talented enough to make it happen.

• Like 1

I too praise Greg's work. I picked up one of his Eleanor bodies last year and it is definitely a great value. As far as sourcing out the missing items to complete the TK I have a list that can hopefully narrow it down for people interested.

Decals- Firebird decals has a set of '68 GT500 decals http://firebird-designs.ecrater.com/p/16399343/1967-shelby-gt-350-ford-mustang-decal?keywords=mustang these are the '67 GT350 ones but he does have the 500's I have a set. ( I'll post a pic once I find my camera batteries.......everything hides when you're cleaning)

Sorry for the blurry pics, camera just isn't that good.

Door Handles- Scale Productions has these http://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p2181_2-door-handles.html I just ordered a couple sets...very nicely casted in white metal.

Tires- Scale Productions again http://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p1817_17--tires-tread.html these are the same tires that are now in the just released SP TK for their Eleanor. Much closer looking to the Goodyear F1's on the real Eleanor.

Wiper Blades- Detail Master. The body has the molded ones from the stock AMT Mustang kit, but I think the PE ones look much better.

Knock-offs- Detail Master again... http://www.detailmaster.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=5f9c112ccd8c84e71bd17db473869f95&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=detailmaster&Product_Code=DM-2290&Category_Code=DM-PhotoEtchedParts They have 2 sets to pick from.

Front grill- You can get this from Model Car Garage https://www.modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=135&idcategory=21 the grill isn't 100% correct and it only has the top one. But it has a lot of other details that can be used on an Eleanor. Tho, you'll likely have to scratch build the grills. I haven't as of yet sourced out how I am going to do mine.

Cobra air cleaner and valve covers....I'm pretty sure I got mine from a AMT '68 Shelby kit....or from one of the RM Cobra kits. There are more than one kit that has these.

There are more items you can source out too pending on how detailed you want to get. But the above items will get you basically what's in the SP TK.

Feel free to add any other sources you might think would be helpful.

David

Edited by Jhedir6
pics added

I think this is the start of a really good thread.  Customers ask me for parts sources.  I just don't know.  I used to have them contact a model club member but he asked me to please stop doing it so I respectfully did so.  When it comes to cars I am just not the Shell answer man.  I just make the parts good.  People start talking to me about model kits and stuff about real cars.  I start feeling embarrassed and get cross eyed from information overload. LOL  When someone starts a conversation about sports I try to cut them off quickly so they don't waste their breath.  I have no interest in it.  I have an older brother that would watch sports on TV and I got screwed out of TV time.  I did build a lot of models too.

Getting that kit to him was the toughest $35.00 bucks I have made yet.  It was 4 trips to the post office.  It was in  my mailbox with a return to sender sticker on it.  I was not a happy caster!

Edited by Greg Wann

I also ordered one from Greg after I ordered the Scale Production kit. It's a nice body for sure. I've got the body and rims painted.  I found a set of tires I bought fit the rims perfect and look better than the Scale Production tires, they are Bridgestone tires and are made by Pegasus. I will post some pictures later.  I plan on ordering at least 2 or 3 more body's from Greg!

Edited by jrherald420

I also ordered one from Greg after I ordered the Scale Production kit. It's a nice body for sure. I've got the body and rims painted.  I found a set of tires I bought fit the rims perfect and look better than the Scale Production tires, they are Bridgestone tires and are made by Pegasus. I will post some pictures later.  I plan on ordering at least 2 or 3 more body's from Greg!

That's the spirit!!  Thank you

I just got mine today...looks great. I'm gonna start sourcing some parts, but I'm not going for a 1:1 replica...just kind of an "inspired by." Has anyone had any luck finding the GT-500 decals from Firebird? I don't see them on their site.

I just got mine today...looks great. I'm gonna start sourcing some parts, but I'm not going for a 1:1 replica...just kind of an "inspired by." Has anyone had any luck finding the GT-500 decals from Firebird? I don't see them on their site.

Just email Firebird and as for them. I have asked for stuff not seen on the site and other things in different colors and they come through with them

Read my post up above with the pics of the Firebird's '68 GT500 decals. Its the closest I've found to the SP decals. You cant order the Eleanor decals and photo etch from SP, I tried before they reissued the TK.

David

• 4 years later...
On 2/23/2016 at 6:48 PM, Greg Wann said:

Thank you, Gary, you are all welcome.  I do appreciate your posting the photos and the kind comments from you and Daniel.  The Eleanor has become a desired item.  It is cheap because I realize the original kit has PE parts that I can't make and are difficult to obtain.  I am certain it will be difficult to source the parts to make a good build.  But, then again most of you I imagine are talented enough to make it happen.

Hello Greg are these kits still available how can I purchase one. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/17/2020 at 5:15 AM, Greg Wann said:

You should purchase the the kit in another topic here.  It is a more complete kit than what I make.  I am more interested in doing the four door police cars for Dwayne L.

Greg are you still making the Eleanor resin body? I am interested in one. I looked everywhere and seems like they are all out of stock