Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Ford Ranchero

W-409

I bought this Trumpeter kit a few years ago and started it a little, but before I got far the project stalled for an unknown reason. Now after finishing my Fiat Topolino Altered I decided it's time to pull this one out and finish it. I think I'm going with the same plan I had when I first started building this, so it'll be a mild, pretty close to stock but a bit Hot Rodded '65 Ranchero, so I'm going mostly box stock with this one.

The kit itself is really nice quality and I really look forward to finishing this one. Here's a picture of the box top and body.

This is how far I got before this thing got stalled, I started the engine. It was painted and clear coated with spray cans and then valve covers and twin carburetor intake were installed. Everything you see here is from the kit, but some touchups, minor black washing and other detailing is required to make that powerplant look a bit more realistic. It's a good starting point though.

And here are the wheels and tires I'll be using. Again, they are from the kit. I painted the wheels Turquoise that will be used on the body as well. Dog Dish hubcaps are from the kit too and I detail painted parts of them with flat black. I will add valve stems to the wheels in the future so this wheel & tire combo isn't quite finished yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Stephen, actually I originally thought about building mine as a Drag Car too, but then I thought I'd like to keep this one simple.;)

I've made some little progress with this thing. Little black wash was added to the engine to bring out some details, the plan wasn't to make it look dirty or greasy at all. I drilled holes to kit's distributor and installed spark plug wires on place. They are made out of Scale Dreams' wire that works very well.

Litttle details look good in the engine bay, so I added a Motocraft decal to the oil  filter. It's from Slixx decal sheet. I also assembled the alternator and added some black wash on it too.

As you can see, some touchups are required while the paint is coming off a little because of handling.

Thanks Stephen, actually I originally thought about building mine as a Drag Car too, but then I thought I'd like to keep this one simple.;)

I've made some little progress with this thing. Little black wash was added to the engine to bring out some details, the plan wasn't to make it look dirty or greasy at all. I drilled holes to kit's distributor and installed spark plug wires on place. They are made out of Scale Dreams' wire that works very well.

DSCN6886_zpsifw4sib2.jpg

DSCN6887_zpsodls9nlw.jpg

DSCN6888_zpsguf7bz3s.jpg

Litttle details look good in the engine bay, so I added a Motocraft decal to the oil  filter. It's from Slixx decal sheet. I also assembled the alternator and added some black wash on it too.

DSCN6890_zpsx79gagj7.jpg

DSCN6891_zpsytgz3l79.jpg

As you can see, some touchups are required while the paint is coming off a little because of handling.

Beautiful build, have one myself, stalled after assembling the bed.  BTW oil filter should a Motorcraft FL1A.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Wally: Dang that oil filter actually was pretty close to what it should be! :D I'm no Ford expert so I thought that a Motorcraft filter should be pretty close. I'm glad I decided to go with that decal even though it might not be perfect choice for an 1:1 version.:lol:

This is a nice kit and so far all of the parts have gone very nicely together. Unfortunately the progress is just a bit slow as I can work only on weekends right now. Hopefully I can do some more work next weekend on this one.

Stan: Black wash means simply thinned black paint that is easy to use when bringing out details or then it can be used to make something look greasy depending on what you want. Maybe the most common place where black wash is used is the grill in every car. While the black paint is so thin, it runs easily between the grille bars and makes it look much more realistic. For this I use The Detailer's liquid that is by far the best I've tried. But mixing up your own black wash is of course possible too.

The Detailer is available in many colors...I haven't tried any others than black though.

Mike: I can't remember for sure if it was from this Slixx decal sheet or not as I bought it a while ago and right now I don't have it on my hands to check out if it was this one or not. But I do believe that it was this sheet: http://www.tedsmodelingmarketplace.com/oil-filters-decal-sheet-1-25/

A.C.: This would be a good starting point for a Race Car Hauler/Push Car you're right. That would be a great idea for a build.B)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a small update for this project. Yesterday my painting didn't go that well, I shot some primer to the bench seat after smoothing out filler I had applied on it. It turned out pretty good, but unfortunately I dropped it to the floor by accident. Now it requires a light wetsanding and another coat of primer before it can be painted. I also tried to shoot some clear to chassis and firewall, but looks like my spray can had lost its pressures and none of the clear came out... I gotta go to get me another one of those cans and try again...

Anyway today I installed carburetors on place. I also built fuel lines to the engine. Fuel filter is somekind of electric component and the fuel lines are regular metal wire that was attahed to the electric component already when I bought it.

Well I tried to find another can of that clear for chassis and firewall, but it looks like I couldn't find it anywhere no more, all shops were carrying other brand paints that I normally use. So as a solution I decided to try spraying different brand clear over the paint and I'm glad the paint didn't react with the clear. The paint job on these parts is not perfect, but I think it'll do in the chassis and engine bay.

Here is the bench seat sanded and ready for another coat of primer. After that I tried to paint it, but looks like that old spray can didn't want to spray anything out from it anymore. The fun thing is, it worked fine last weekend when I tested it. Well, I gotta get me a new one next weekend.

Here are front inner fenders and radiator wall. I had to add some filler to smooth out ejector pin marks from them and now I sanded everything smooth and shot some primer on the parts.

I also installed the generator on place. It wasn't very easy to install with that quite fiddly belt, but I got everything on place in one piece anyway.

Wally: Dang that oil filter actually was pretty close to what it should be! :D I'm no Ford expert so I thought that a Motorcraft filter should be pretty close. I'm glad I decided to go with that decal even though it might not be perfect choice for an 1:1 version.:lol:

This is a nice kit and so far all of the parts have gone very nicely together. Unfortunately the progress is just a bit slow as I can work only on weekends right now. Hopefully I can do some more work next weekend on this one.

Looks great!!..........

Btw, the FL910S oil filter fits Focus, Fusion, etc., and the decal is upside down. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! The progress has been pretty slow since I've had very little bench time, but I've made some minor steps forward with it anyway.

I got the seat painted a while ago. That color came straight from a spray can and after the picture I shot some flat clear on it so now it's not too shiny. I think that's a pretty good interior color, at least the 1:1 cars with similar interior colors that I've seen look very good. That seat color is a bit more green in real life though.

I also got inner fenders and radiator wall painted from both sides. The pictures show only other side of the parts though, but now when both sides are in color, I can shoot some clear over them as well.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!

Andy, I've heard some bad things about these kits as well, but I have to admit that I really like building this one (And the Falcon is a very nice kit too). Parts fit has been great and most of the parts are well detailed too. Plus that the subject is very interesting!

I agree, the intake could be better.:D

Here's a little update even though I've been really busy, but luckily I've managed to snitch some modeling time here and there. I started doing a bit of bodywork. The body itself is still in very early stages, but I started with the tailgate. It had Ford letters on it, but I wanted to shave them to achieve a bit cleaner look. I removed the letters with hobby knife and finished with sandpaper. After that I applied some liquid glue where those letters had been and once that dried, I sanded that area smooth again. That way the letters were not "ghosting" through primer.

DSCN0193_zpssxpgosx7.jpg

DSCN0216_zpspgwscf7n.jpg

Kit's hood needs some work too. After block sanding it I noticed there is an X-shaped sink mark going from one corner to another. There are couple of other minor sink marks too, and looks like the only way to smooth them out is to use a bit of putty. Here I darkened the sink marks a bit to make sure I remember to fill all of them with putty.

DSCN0198_zpsonjf6jui.jpg

Rear axle was glued together from two pieces so I had to smooth out the joint with putty. Here in the first picture it is sanded smooth and ready for paint. Then I just brush painted some Revell Gloss Black to the axle.

DSCN0201_zpsgbgyugvj.jpg

DSCN0208_zps688v6xau.jpg

I also painted and clear coated radiator wall and front inner fenders. So here are all of the engine bay panels in color.

DSCN0205_zpsccpjm0pd.jpg