Model Cars Magazine Forum

They shoot horses, don't they?

• 2 weeks later...

Some work on the roll cage today.

First a pic of the Souza Bros car to refresh your memory.

souzabro-vi.png

Here it is with the seat from the AMT kit. Not bad but perhaps it a bit too small.

DSC01304-vi.jpg

Another view.

DSC01305-vi.jpg

Still one more bar (rear diagonal brace)to make. It's a dilemma because I can't replicate it as it was unless I make it point down into the left fender well.

My brain tells me, make it correct in a purely engineering way, (Connect directly to the rest of the frame in a reasonable fashion).

OR , just fudge it and no-one will be the wiser:D.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:29 AM, afx said:

Cage looks great Kurt! I'm sure you will figure out a convincing way to attach the rear kicker bar.

Thanx J.C. This I will have to mull over for awhile. Lack of good documentation is sending me into the realm of

those old AMT kit designers, LOL :wacko:

While I'm deciding what to do with that last part of the roll cage, and finding a better suited drivers seat, Ive got

to start working on this.

IMG_1228-vi.jpg

IMG_1229-vi.jpg

Algon injection for the Wedge, Best starting point I have found is a resin part from "Speed-City" altho what it represents is a Hilborn manifold.

So would have to be modified. Ive got an idea to do it completely from scratch like most of the rest of the build. :P

12 hours ago, Codi said:

Your build Kurt has the sterility & accuracy of a surgeon.  Certainly meant as a compliment.  No glue anywhere, everything where it should be......just super clean.  VERY nicely done.....cheers, tim

Thanx Tim, I use Tamiya extra-thin cement for the most part as well as a more viscus mixture of Testors liquid glue and Tamiya that I have mixed up in an old

Extra-Thin bottle. 

I do try to take extra care as far as (joinery) is concerned and de-bur all parts with various methods; Scotch Bright, Zona micron sandpaper,and a child size toothbrush.

Then clean up all parts in isopropyl alcohol before glueing. Always trying to apply the glue at a point that is the most hidden from the view of how you would

normally look at the model. 

My eyesight (close up) is not that great so I have to use an Optivisor as well as some different power levels of "CLIC" cheaters. They are available up to +6 power.

Creating fixtures,tooling and pattern making are sort of my background. So making small parts like this I have to depend on them rather than my poor eyesight.

A lot of the pieces to this puzzle have to be be tried,tested,rejected or reworked. Nothing new to this old machinist by trade.?

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

• 3 weeks later...

Belive me I tried on that ALGON manifold. (total fail) LOL.

I'm just going to go with what is available in resin.

That is O.K. buy me, but not correct for the "Souza Bros. car".

Sometimes you just have to make changes.

Now it's just a MATCH RACER.

It's not that hard for me to change my mind at this point because there was many things

that needed to be addressed.

Freemont Decals were sized incorrectly so would have to be re-done.

Front and rear wheels (close but no cigar)  Yah, I'm picky!

Oh well,  I'm going to plan "C" Ha Ha!

Oh, and trying to be less picky! 

Who wants to see a 427 CID SOHC ?

Yah, I shouldn't have said that.?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 7:37 PM, afx said:

It will be a great model regardless Kurt.

J.C.,  I'm working on that " kicker bar" it's taking some careful filing out of the left wheel tub for clearance.

For the manifold (induction) I'm now thinking of going with a blown engine using a scratch built manifold

based on the 4 barrel cobra one. This looks more doable and will be patterned after this (I think vintage Ford unit).

IMG_1249-vi.jpg

Modern ones use a spacer to allow room for a distributor tho don't think was the case back in the day.

So will also have to create a timing gear cover like this with output for Mag/Distributor.

IMG_1250-vi.jpg

I think I could modify S.C.R. 427 Wedge one for this, but there could be better starting points.

I'm digging through my parts boxes for options.

The Souza Bro's did run a blown 427 FE later on. That is after they stretched the wheelbase (steal bodied Funny Car).

I have one or two pics of that one (they were still using ALGON) and the injector Hat is unique.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:29 AM, afx said:

I'm sure you will figure out a convincing way to attach the rear kicker bar.

Here is what I'm going to settle with. Not perfect but calling job done.

DSC01312-vi.jpg

DSC01313-vi.jpg

Now I can start working on that blower manifold, Hard to find any pictures of blown 427 wedge engines from the 1960's just loads of SOHC examples.

Kurt, you are working at a level that I strive for but never quite achieve! That rollcage is pristine! I can't wait to see more updates.  I just had to graft a Hemi manifold to a SOHC manifold to get the correct configuration for my M/T Mustang so I know exactly what you are facing in regards to induction!

Cheers

Alan

22 minutes ago, alan barton said:

Kurt, you are working at a level that I strive for but never quite achieve! That rollcage is pristine! I can't wait to see more updates.  I just had to graft a Hemi manifold to a SOHC manifold to get the correct configuration for my M/T Mustang so I know exactly what you are facing in regards to induction!

Cheers

Alan

Alan, thanx. I have no special skills. Just a whole lot of patience. 

Some times I just have to step back and think things through because it dosen't come naturally.(car stuff)

Thats why this forum is so cool, and a real treasure trove of information.

16 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Here is what I'm going to settle with. Not perfect but calling job done.

Now I can start working on that blower manifold, Hard to find any pictures of blown 427 wedge engines from the 1960's just loads of SOHC examples.

Great solution and executions.  I found these photos after a search for Ford 427 Supercharger.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mickey-thompson-427-fe-blower-intake.1020108/

image-jpeg.3221564image-jpeg.3221568image.jpeg

On 9/14/2019 at 6:03 AM, afx said:

I found these photos after a search for Ford 427 Supercharger.

Thanx for that J.C.

Interesting that they put that Ford script on it.

What size blower would you guess that was designed for? 

Was thinking of using the blower from the "Miss Deal" kit, tho it's foot print seems a bit small.

On that manifold,  looks like there would be two Pop Off valves on the back side??

6 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Thanx for that J.C.

Interesting that they put that Ford script on it.

What size blower would you guess that was designed for? 

Was thinking of using the blower from the "Miss Deal" kit, tho it's foot print seems a bit small.

On that manifold,  looks like there would be two Pop Off valves on the back side??

Kurt here are a few pictures I found of what I believe is a similar intake manifold, they do appear to be relief valves of some sort.  Not sure about the blower size, maybe someone else could chime in?

Image result for ford 427 supercharger manifoldImage result for ford 427 supercharger manifoldRelated imageRelated image

16 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I may be late to the game or completely off base, but have you considered the Revell Parts Pack 427 Ford engine?  It can be built blown or with 2X4 carbs.

Ricky, you are definitely not off base. Was not aware that the Parts Pack 427 had a manifold for a blower.

Tho the position for the distributer looks like they cheated a bit. That ribbed timing cover would be extremely helpful for what I'm trying to achieve.

17 hours ago, afx said:

Kurt here are a few pictures I found of what I believe is a similar intake manifold, they do appear to be relief valves of some sort.  Not sure about the blower size, maybe someone else could chime in?

Thanx for those images. So Cragar made one also. 

That is very close to the one with the FORD script on it, and those are certainly relief valves on the back end.

Started work with the 4 barrel carb manifold I have. (it's been so long I can't remember who I got it from was that you J.C. ?)

Some shimming to get it to align better with the block and heads, something a bit less than .010" on the three side where it

buts up to block/heads. As well as correcting the front coolant shape.

I will have to decide on which blower to go with. The "Miss-Deal" one is an 6-71.  An 8-71 is about 1" longer case dimension.

Cant find any info on the width of those two blowers.

I'll have to do some changes to the hight of the manifold Runners (is this the correct term?) because it looks like this this one

is not a High Rise manifold (thats just judging from pic's I've looked at).

Pictures soon.

6-71 and 8-71 blowers are the same width. the pictures are a       6-71 blower because it has 3 ribs on the side of the case. correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think 8-71 blowers where around in the mid sixties because those style of blowers where from GMC Diesel trucks and as far as I know there was only a 4-71 and a 6-71 hope this can help I really like your work 

On 9/14/2019 at 6:03 AM, afx said:

Great solution and executions.  I found these photos after a search for Ford 427 Supercharger.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mickey-thompson-427-fe-blower-intake.1020108/

image-jpeg.3221564image-jpeg.3221568image.jpeg