Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Chris, I might do it at final assembly.  Something to consider.  My ref. car pics show it all shiny and bling bling.  Engine, trans and rear will be the focus of this car.

Bob & Scott, Lloyd and Kerry,  a sincere thank you to each of you!

Randy, nice to see you back dude.  You KNOW I'm asking for my GT40 update.   Thanks too for the comments, glad to make your day.  ;)

Brad, I wanted to give it to my wife for Mothers Day but she wasn't all that thrilled. Soooo, it will go on the Mustang after all. 

John, well,  I think you have effectively crushed any notion I might have had as to who is a fan.  And I am one of yours.  Now please tell me what you're building and where you're hiding it so I can check it out.  

cheers

Edited by Codi

Tim... as mentioned it was just a suggestion but it does look killer all shiny so I think that you can't go wrong either way. I was hoping that I didn't offend you with the suggestion. It wasn't to weather the whole rear end bit to add a wash at the seam of the bolt and the body. But thinking about it I would leave it as is because it looks so good. I know a few of my post recently in another thread  had offended the original poster and the last I have ever wanted to do here on your thread or anyone elses thread is offend anyone and if I did it was never my intention. So I am trying to be careful how I word things

Edited by Mooneyzs

Trust me Chris, my skin isn't that thin.  No harm, no foul.   Now, about that next Vega post please.  ^_^

Thanks Dave.......I'm going to start on the block this week in aluminum.  Should have something done by the weekend.  Kids are now officially out of school today, so summer messes up bench time a bit, but it's ALL good!

Cheers everyone!

Dave, funny post.  Someday I'll get around to delving into 3D printing.  I find that fascinating as well but I'm afraid my computing skills need a LOT of work to do that. 

Leonard, appreciated as well.

Finally got started on the alum. block. This is 3 days of on / off time spent as it's summer and been doing family things. I've never done one of these and I certainly don't have the talent of Dave  (comp1839) or Bill Davis (vintagedragfan)  but for my first attempt so far, it's going fairly well.  Still have several more hours of machining it.  The bottom of the block will be "decked" half way up where the crank hole is at and I came up with a fairly simple way to do the rear part of the block (which is the side facing up in these shots) for the oil passage / bell housing portion. More on that later. I have come to quickly understand why others don't do the blocks in alum more often...........after all this, you really won't get to appreciate a lot of it.  Thank goodness it's going in a rear engine funny.  cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG ALUM  BLOCK 1 005

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG ALUM  BLOCK 1 017

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG ALUM  BLOCK 1 024

Tim... fantastic work my friend. That is some beautiful machining work you got going there. I will be looking forward to your next update seeing he you are doing more of this block. I know ypu will probably have some tricky set ups to do in order to achieve what you want. But I know this... with your talent you will smash it out of the park.

Thanks everyone!  Slits cut for the ribs, parted off. Have to "notch" the front of the head on the passenger side for the necessary bore offset  and drill the cam and few other holes on the front face. On the back you'll see a notch cut in for the part of the block that supports the bell housing.  I'll machine that next and secure permanently.  For a variety of reasons, it was easier to make it this way which took some figuring on my part.... The holes drilled in several spots are to locate and secure various parts by "pinning" them.  cheers to each of you.  tim

REAR ENGINED MUISTANG ALUM BLOCK 2 015

REAR ENGINED MUISTANG ALUM BLOCK 2 026

REAR ENGINED MUISTANG ALUM BLOCK 2 049

Won't get much bench time this week but I do want to thank you guys.  And Joe, that minion knows the rules, no selfies in the shop.  hmmmmm, some punishment will HAVE to be meted out. 

Tom, thank you and to answer your question, all free-hand. No CNC.  I take that as a compliment for sure. 

Cheers, tim