Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Now that is stunning...well, everything you manufacture is stunning. This is no exception.

I TOTALLY AGREE!

Now we just need to Tim to do his on TV show on machining so we can clog up all of our DVR's and watch all the action in real time!

wait...that is probably not a good idea!   My wife would divorce me for never leaving the couch!

Dave, Brad, Bob and Randy, appreciated.  Now if you only could have seen the mental midget (me) at work yesterday.  I finished up the drawings for the heads, which aren't too difficult and put the drawings & sequence of procedures on the wall in front of me and started.  Step 1, machine the material to the proper dimensions, Step 3, part it off. Oops, forgot step 2.  Just made the whole thing a bit more time consuming...........UGH!  There are a total of 7 different operations in total to do them by my count so it'll be early next week til they're done now that the weekend is here.  Now if I could only figure out how I jumped straight from step 1 to step 3.....:blink:...cheers, tim

Bob, you are oh so right on that score. 

Thanks Terry, I've been machining for almost 2 years now and it's starting to come together.  Appreciate your checking in.

Mike & Chris, the mag was a challenge I threw at myself. I'm waiting on some decals to finish it up.  The heads were actually more challenging than the mag even though they seem pretty straightforward.

The heads are just temporarily attached with Elmer's glue for mock-up purposes. I have to make the water necks for the holes you see drilled in the front of the heads in pic 1.   Thanks again Dave (comp1839) again for all the help and info you've shared.  They took me a little longer than I thought they would, but I'm learning more with each session.  Valve covers next.  cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG COMPLETED HEADS 027

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG COMPLETED HEADS 008

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG COMPLETED HEADS 072

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG COMPLETED HEADS 015

Tim... super impressive work on the heads, they have turned out killer. I still owe you a drawing and will try to get it done for you this week. I have to agree with Randy that it is so much fun sitting back and watching you create this work of art. Looking forward to your next update. Ypu are a true craftsman.

Brad & Bob, thanks dudes.  I'm onto the valve covers later this week and some odds and ends for the heads and v. covers.   more soon.

Dave willy, Dave willy..............thanks. 

Joe, yeah me either.................chuckle

My friend Dave............I had / have a GREAT teacher.   ;)

Scott, many thanks too!

Randy.........I feel the same watching your builds and threads as well.  Much respect sir. 

Chris, thank you as always.  I look forward to whatever you can share.  My offer still stands on what i can spare currently on the M. Johnson 417 if it might assist you.  Let me know. A PM will work.   cheers to each and everyone, tim

Small update that took an entire day.  Came across some pics of a later version of the crank girdle that was designed some strengthening ribs in place of the Donovan script.  I think it looks better and I wasn't satisfied with the nickel finish on my 1st one as its contrast was just too stark and not as realistic looking as I wanted it to be.

Here's a pic of the real deal with girdle I'm speaking of.

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG RIBBED GIRDLE 029

Took me all day to make it as I had to drill the holes through the piece so I can add stainless steel tubing to replicate the ribs themselves.  More than 2 hours just to drill those tiny 22 holes alone. 

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG RIBBED GIRDLE 005

This pic has the engine sitting on it before I parted it off. I added the bottom half of the crank hole too.

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG RIBBED GIRDLE 024

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG RIBBED GIRDLE 073

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG RIBBED GIRDLE 037

Last shot.  I have to polish the girdle and add the ribs yet.  Nothing is attached yet, just sitting on top of each other.  cheers

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG RIBBED GIRDLE 063

Tim... I think I am starting to rub off on you with the redoing of things when you aren't 100% happy with them.....LOL. I like that fact that you went back and redid the girdle because I sorta like the girdle with the strengthening ribs a little better myself. I also have to agree with you that as the nickle plated one looked killer but this new one is more realistic. The tone and is more consistent with how the real one looks with the picture your showed. You can tell from that pic of the real engine that the girdle and block are made from the same material. Nice work on this. You keep raising that bar every time you post. I am loving this build :wub:

Many hours to get the first valve cover done but now I have it down wherein I can make its twin with less effort....hopefully.   I'll insert stainless steel tube tube in the plug holes for shaping purposes and I drilled holes for twin breathers as well as the 6 bolt holes.  Next day or so I hope to share pics of them both on it.  Cheers

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG FIRST VALVE COVER 016

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG FIRST VALVE COVER 021

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG FIRST VALVE COVER 033