Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

truly stunning!  By the way Have you set up a web cam for this yet?  You would be a U tube sensation!  Not to mention it would make some pretty cool video watching say like at the GSL or to be playing in a loop at the Model Car museum...Or the Peterson museum even....Just saying!

I was hoping you guys would like it.  Every piece of the puzzle just makes it more exciting for me.  I'm going to clean up and primer the 3D printed manifold from Shapeways that Chris Sobak made up the files and sent to me.  It's a cool piece as mentioned before and will likely be the only piece on the engine that I won't machine or fabricate personally.  Chris did send some stellar blower pieces too but I want to machine those if possible out of aluminum.  I can't thank Chris enough for his willingness to do that for me & the build.  Thanks again sir.

My closing comment is one of sincere THANKS to Dave (comp1839) and Chris (mooneyz) for the information and knowledge they're imparted.  I couldn't attempt to make these pieces without it.  To each and everyone out there, have a GREAT LABOR DAY with your friends and family.   Cheers, Tim

Thank you Scott AND Ray.  I'm not sure what I'm able to teach you Ray per se.  But I'm glad you are enjoying the thread all the same. 

Today I got the fuel tank done.  3 parts all fabbed in copper so I can chrome them.  I'm trying to improve my metal forming and fabricating skills.  None of the 3 were machined although the shape to form the body of the tank around was done on the lathe in aluminum.  Cheers, tim

DSC 0002

DSC 0015

DSC 0024

Edited by Codi

A hearty thanks gentlemen for the comments.  I wanted to answer Brad and Bob's questions as I have the stuff still on my desk so I took a pic and can provide a quick how-to.   In this pic you'll see what's known as a dapping block and a couple of the "punches" that fit the corresponding holes. Also, the copper I used was .015" which was annealed before shaping.  The pyramid shaped piece on the end of the tweezers was the piece I made on the lathe to be able to bend the body of the tank around.  Detailed explanation follows the picture.  

DSC 0003

Steps:

1. Annealed the copper and cut small strips which I placed over the properly sized hole on the block.  Placed the "punch" over it and hammered it lightly into shape creating the twin domed portions.  The block and punches range in size from 3.0mm up to 25.0mm as an fyi.   The small copper dome was 8mm and the larger was 12mm btw. 

2. Made a dimensional drawing of the body to understand the proper angle to cut it on the lathe and machined it a bit under-sized to compensate for the thickness of the copper so that the domes were a reasonably close fitment.  The dome was done in aluminum so that when I soldered everything up, it would NOT become part of it and would separate easily.

3. After drilling a hole in the body for the gas cap, I shaped the copper strip around the aluminum pyramid.  This step was a little bit tedious as it took time to ensure a proper fitment.  Then I placed the domes back in their respective holes, placed the body of the tank over that and used a torch to solder the ends to the body.     Clean up and that was it, all in about 6 hours to do all the steps described including the lathe work.

I DO want to acknowledge and recommend a fantastic book, "Model Building with Brass" by Kenneth Foran.  The idea to do the tank came from his book even though he was making a part for an aircraft engine I think.  It's a fantastic book and I suggest anyone that is interested in working with brass or copper and wants to learn about the possibilities when scratch building, well, it's just a great read and informative in so many ways.  Cheers

Edited by Codi

Bob, look at line 3.  What I'm saying is I took a strip of copper and wrapped it around the aluminum pyramid shaped piece and rolled it on a steel plate to get it to conform to that shape.  A few soft taps with a plastic headed mallet to get the edges of the seam down tight and that was pretty much how the body was formed.  Hope that helps.

Brad, No Go on the Go Pro.  I'd have to mute it because the language can get a little blue when I drop and lose a part on the floor.  :P

Thanks too Dave.  

Pete, like what you're doing on your  53' btw.  Those body mods turned out sweet.  Glad you like where it's going so far. 

Next step is finalizing chassis renderings and getting started on it.  Since most of the important "big" pieces (engine block etc. and rear end) are made I can trust the numbers to make the chassis properly.   Cheers

Small one for you Chris.  Since the car is basically going to be mostly scratch-built, I have drawn the chassis up to the point that I can start on it VERY soon.  One of the things I had to make were the rear axle brackets first.  Took me a little longer (A LOT actually) to make these than I expected.  The "base' as I call it has 4 different angles to it with the round axle support (with the 8 tiny holes) soldered to it.  I was determined to machine this so that I can get a high degree of accuracy with the chassis overall.   Friday I have "class" on the subject of "Machining Your Own Aluminum Wheels" taught by Professor Dave.  I have to be on time as he can be a tough task master.  :D  There is a particular rear wheel that I want to make for the car and Dave already took the time to draw one up AND make one that turned out SWEET.  I'm hopeful I can make 2 like his.  Cheers, tim

DSC 0013