Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Thank you Dave! 

Joe, oh Joe.  Yes, we have the same ruler, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.  :rolleyes:   There was a lot of brass tubing that "died" to make those buggers.  Each one was annealed about 10 times to get the bends without crimping and I found a quick method to fix those that did a.  You should see the burn on my stomach where I dropped the pliers during one torch session and it melted the top, and my skin, almost instantaneously.  Learned a quick lesson there my friend.  ALWAYS wear my smock, somehow I forgot to put it on that time.  So, yeah, 8 little pieces of bent tubing is all I got to show for it.   Cheers, Tim

Tim, probably way the heck to late for this now, but if you are going to paint them, I really like the look of brass tubing after it has been heated. You know, like after you annealed them.  Makes them look use.   Kind of has a nice patina to it.  As with any metal of this type, it is really sad to put paint over it and hide the real craftsmanship that went into it. Stunning piece of work!

I need to do two eight cylinder sets for a Bugatti straight 8 I am working on.  I would like to know how you bent them if you have the time.  Perhaps a pm tutorial if you have the time. 

Edited by Pete J.

Thanks Bob and Brad.  Brad, the motor plate, bell-housing and trans are on deck.  s-l-o-w-l-y moving along with it.  

Pete, I wholeheartedly agree with the natural look of the annealing.  The concerns would be long term oxidation of the metal and more importantly, I don't want to risk undoing my joints and work by going back over them with a flame.  My jig to make them was pretty crude and involved my fingers too.  :unsure: The detail with the flanges etc. compared to any of the kit plastic headers, well there is no comparison. I'll have a build book on the car and I'll be sure to have pics of them in their "raw" state.   I'll try to send you a note this weekend on the steps taken to make them.  What scale is your build btw?

Thank you too Ray and Randy.  I'm happy Randy with where it's at and how quickly (for me anyhow) overall.  If I stay on my "schedule" I think this will be done by June or so.   That would be great and then its back to get the Falcon finished.   After that, a special project for a friend.   Cheers, Tim

Tim, I would appreciate the info, thanks.  I am working in 1:24th scale.  I had not considered the oxidation issues with aneled brass.  I think a coat of Testors dull coat lacquer might stop all of that without destroying the patina.  I will have to keep that in mind.  Right now the Bugatti's are in the Zen stage.  Collecting my thoughts before I go whole hog.  I have found that thinking these things through, slows the process, but helps long term.

Edited by Pete J.

Clutch can 1st, next will be the motor plate then the trans.  Have to add the clutch inspection plate and this is done.  The trans will be a 2 speed lenco with reverse.  The can is modeled after a mid 70's Lakewood. The bolt flange is 1.1mm wide as an fyi.   Cheers, tim

DSC 0003

Edited by Codi

Thanks Davewilly for the comment.  Everything I've made for the car so far is first time for me.  I gained a lot of experience during the Henry build but this is very different for sure.  Again, thanks for following. 

Brad, appreciate it too and that you're still following along.

Dave, thanks man.  so far, so good. 

Hey Paul, not heard from you in a bit.  Glad you like it so far.  Still a fairly long way to go though.

Thank you as well Bob, it's been a challenging (for me) but fun build all the same.   Cheers EVERYONE!

hi there Niko, certainly appreciate the kind comments. btw, I really like the pics on your website!   I've only been to Finland once which was for a business (Nokia) meeting.  My hosts suggested I try the reindeer and bear..........wow is all I can say.   Oh, and they could really hold their vodka,  I only drink beer or wine so I was amazed at what they could consume.  Oh, and when I left the states for Finland we had a record breaking snowfall here and it was sunny with little snow on the ground there.  Go figure.   :D   cheers, tim

You're right that some Finns can consume lots of drinks...:D  Actually I can't count myself in that group, a couple of beers is fine but that's about it. I think I prefer spending time in the garage working on my '62 Chevy II. I just wish we had warm weather all year round and no snow. Sometimes in the winter there's so much of it that we can't figure out where we should plow it...:wacko: Luckily we're not in that point right now, even though we have a decent amount of that white stuff on the ground...

Well, at least it's a good time to work on 1:1 and 1:25 cars now!

Thank you Dan!  

Hey Dave, yes a 2 speed with reverse.  Mid-plate is done, now just fiddling around to get the tabs soldered onto the chassis, then drill the clutch can for the pedal assembly ;) before moving onto the Lenco.  Today I went to the Bruce Larson Dragfest and had a great time.  Met Dave (GoatGuy) there too and the special guest was Don Garlits himself.  Hard to believe I grew up just 2 miles from Bruce's place.   Pics are posted on my fotki for anyone interested. 

Hi Randy, all one piece. Turned the can on my lathe, parted it off, flipped it upside down and drilled the holes into the flange from the backside on the mill.  I'm not sure you could put a cats whisker between the bolt head and can it seems that tight to me.   :wacko:    cheers