Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Ok, this is a follow up for Chris and Tim.

I got the rotary table back from Sherline a couple of days ago and I am very pleased with there modifications.  I can now get a bit within .5" of the top of a piece and almost flush with the end of the jaw with a collet used to hold the bit. The head contactling the Rotary table is still the limiting factor but it is much less of an issue.  The first picture is the after and the second is before.  You can clearly see the clearance difference.

collet interferance reversed table.jpg

collet interferance.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

I've built a few brass chassis and have to say the challenge of getting the two sides congruent has defeated me more than once. What an idea with fantastic results to prove the quality of the concept. I will save this idea as one of must tries. 

Curious question concerning the rotary table.....did Sherline do that to a table you already owned or modify their typical production? It seems so obvious, you have to question why they're doing it the way they're currently doing it.

I've built a few brass chassis and have to say the challenge of getting the two sides congruent has defeated me more than once. What an idea with fantastic results to prove the quality of the concept. I will save this idea as one of must tries. 

Curious question concerning the rotary table.....did Sherline do that to a table you already owned or modify their typical production? It seems so obvious, you have to question why they're doing it the way they're currently doing it.

They modified one I already owned, however they do sell them that way, but for a reason I do not fathom, it is not in the catalogue.  You have to call and order it.  They haven't had much call for them, but then, if no one knows you have it, then I wouldn't expect much in the way of sales.  I strongly urged them to put it on the web site. 

pete, feel free to bore me with the details. how did rotating the handle in any way fix the relationship between the rotary table face / chuck  and the edge of the  head to the spindle centerline?

edit: forgot to mention, it would be best if when you show something like this you put the same mini carbide drill in the collet at the exact same depth and not change to a longer shank and larger diameter end mill to show your relationship change. the tooling change makes it look like extremely different.

collet_interferance_reversed_table.thumb

Edited by comp1839

pete, feel free to bore me with the details. how did rotating the handle in any way fix the relationship between the rotary table face / chuck  and the edge of the  head to the spindle centerline?

edit: forgot to mention, it would be best if when you show something like this you put the same mini carbide drill in the collet at the exact same depth and not change to a longer shank and larger diameter end mill to show your relationship change. the tooling change makes it look like extremely different.

collet_interferance_reversed_table.thumb

Dave, I really don't want to hijack Tim's thread with this subject.  I will send you a private message with photos that explain it better.  Anyone else who wants information can pm me and I will answer questions.

Hey Art, would love to see you back at that one.   Got the 2 halves of the chassis combined.  In the 1st pic you can see 3 brackets I made to support the chassis for the remainder of the project.  2 machined, 1 made of brass to support the rear when lining it up to the engine.  The aluminum one will be the primary and used to do the brakes / hubs etc.  The front bracket I machined so it would line up the frame rails and a connecting rail that will limit back and forth on the chassis during fabrication.  cheers

DSC 0136

DSC 0120

DSC 0116

Tim.... That chassis is one fine piece of Work. Top Notch stuff right there. Love that you have gotten the half's together. I also love the Jig you fabricated up to hold the chassis.  NO better way than having a Jig to keep things all lined up a square. You are making me want to build a brass chassis really bad....lol. I can't wait until your next update. Nice Job Tim. keep up with the great work.

Many thanks everyone.  Started the headers on Monday and wrapped them up this morning.  40 degree swept back shorties.  Scale about 16" in length.  They aren't attached to the heads permanently yet as I have to add the bolts and will probably paint them flat black or white.   cheers, tim

DSC 0055

I wanted them up and away so that the bottom end of the block & girdle would be more visible. 

DSC 0041

DSC 0020

DSC 0048

This, to me Tim, is amazing. I knew we had "something" in common that linked us together in the Greater Design of the Cosmos and Humanity in general.

We have the same exact ruler !!!!!!! I'm serious Dude. Mine is Exactly like yours. That's a total mind blower.

Nice start on the headers. That's all the progress so far, huh? 8 pieces of bent tubing. W:DW !!!!!!

Sorry, I'm medicated.

Thank you Dave! 

Joe, oh Joe.  Yes, we have the same ruler, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.  :rolleyes:   There was a lot of brass tubing that "died" to make those buggers.  Each one was annealed about 10 times to get the bends without crimping and I found a quick method to fix those that did a.  You should see the burn on my stomach where I dropped the pliers during one torch session and it melted the top, and my skin, almost instantaneously.  Learned a quick lesson there my friend.  ALWAYS wear my smock, somehow I forgot to put it on that time.  So, yeah, 8 little pieces of bent tubing is all I got to show for it.   Cheers, Tim