Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Got the seat made and a bunch of other little things.  I'll post some other pictures by the weekend of some of the other progress I've made.  About 10 hours and this was the 4th one that I attempted and which I finally liked.  The brass started out as .27mm and ended up closer to .20.  some minor clean up of the solder joint on the inside and I'm still thinking about doing a quilted leather bottom for it.  maybe.  cheers, tim

DSC 0017

DSC 0019

DSC 0033

DSC 0025

Tim.... Wow... I need to pick my jaw up off the floor. That Seat is Gorgeous, Way better than how my seat turned out for my funny car.  As Dave said that Joint is amazing and so cleanly done. Major Props to you my friend... I can't wait until you show us the next thing you do.

Dave, Scott and Brad..........thanks guys, just doing bars and stuff and finishing the clutch can pedal etc. 

Randy, appreciated.  to answer your question, the template was drawn and then cut the brass a single piece.  Bent the seat bottom portion then used steel dowels in a vice to bend the seat backs. Getting the seat back width correct and snug was the most time consuming.  After "finessing" everything together, I flame soldered the joints.  Where the bottom meets the side at the highest point, I had a large enough gap that I had to put a 1/32" piece of brass rod in a filler.  After soldering, filed to shape.  Probably a lot more info than you wanted.  btw, you should see the one where I cut the sides upside down.  :wacko: 

Dave, thanks man.  I really like figuring out & fabricating these types of parts.  Took me more than an hour just to get the silly seat belt holes cut in symmetrically.  It's not much bigger than a quarter.

Chris, I wouldn't go that far.  I've admired the way you made yours.  THAT is perfection. 

Hey Pete, I'm hurt man.  That piece in the pic will someday be something cool.  My stuff in 1/25th is so small I don't throw much out that can't be used for something else. :)  Had to laugh cause I keep my scrap in tupperware too.

Thanks too Bob, I don't consider the joints perfect, but they're more than close enough as I'm probably going to cover the seat bottom at some point anyhow.  Have some ideas..........

Tim... I have to politely disagree ;). Your set turned out wy better than the one I did for the funny car. My joints were nothing like the quality of yours.  you should off seen the piles of my attempts at cutting and bending prior to soldeting. I must of had at least 6 brass ones.... a few Aluminum printing plate ones as well as some 3x5 card stock that I was trying to mock up my initial designs with. I had some fitment issues  with mine when it was installed I to the chassis that I had to fix. Your looks like it fit like a gloove.  and I can't believe you are going to a quilted leather bottom that will be the cherry on the top for the seat.

Hey Pete, I'm hurt man.  That piece in the pic will someday be something cool.  My stuff in 1/25th is so small I don't throw much out that can't be used for something else. :)  Had to laugh cause I keep my scrap in tupperware too.

Tim, I'm with you man!  Here's a shot of just the stuff sitting next to my lathe.  You never know just when you will really need that special piece. :lol:

scrap.jpg

Hi guys, I was going to post some chassis progress pics, but I took a detour 2 days ago and decided to tackle the pulleys. I've drooled over the ones that Dave made for Chris and his Vega funny.  So I took a stab at it.  I started on the crank pulley as I think it's the sexiest of the 3 and also the most challenging.  Dave provided me with some numbers that were very helpful and I want to thank him now for the insights and advice.  First 2 pics show it on the mill. The cutting disc is a super thin, .27mm thick, jewelers cutoff wheel. 

DSC 0020

A better angle showing the center and 6 surrounding bolt holes. 

DSC 0021

In the penny shot you can see an aftermarket pulley.  In fairness, I spent many hours doing mine whereas the aftermarket piece was knocked out in just a fraction of the time I'm sure.

DSC 0044

Edited by Codi

Hi guys, I was going to post some chassis progress pics, but I took a detour 2 days ago and decided to tackle the pulleys. I've drooled over the ones that Dave made for Chris and his Vega funny.  So I took a stab at it.  I started on the crank pulley as I think it's the sexiest of the 3 and also the most challenging.  Dave provided me with some numbers that were very helpful and I want to thank him now for the insights and advice.  First 2 pics show it on the mill. The cutting disc is a super thin, .27mm thick, jewelers cutoff wheel. 

DSC 0020

DSC 0029

DSC 0008

A better angle showing the center and 6 surrounding bolt holes. 

DSC 0021

In the penny shot you can see an aftermarket pulley.  In fairness, I spent many hours doing mine whereas the aftermarket piece was knocked out in just a fraction of the time I'm sure.

DSC 0044

Wow, a 1955 wheat penny in nice shape!  better put that one aside.  :lol:  Great looking machine work!  Never thought of using a slitting tool that way.  I'm going to borrow that idea for sure!

Thanks fellas, I'll get the others done this week before I get some finger surgery again. 

Pete, glad the pic could be of help.  Yeah, I'll hold onto that penny for sure. It's a great way of showing perspective on how small some of these parts are. If I might suggest, when you reply to a post, if you just use the box at the bottom of the page where it says "REPLY" instead of "QUOTE", it won't re-post/paste my previous post each time.  Saves the redundancy.    Thanks in advance.

cheers, tim