Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

that is some sweet stuff there tim!!!!  i think the front wheels will be killer when you're done.  will you be making a fixture to hold the hub in place while you assemble the wheel?

i'm wondering if these would something you could fiit into this build......hehe.

Bob, thanks as always.

PeteJ. -I'll check out that software you mentioned, thanks for sharing it.  Yes, rotary on tilting angle plate is my usual setup.  I'm grateful and jealous that I don't live that close to Sherline.  Jealous in all the things you can learn being so near and "grateful" as I'd spend WAY too much money there.  :D  Thanks for following along.

Dave, yup on the jig even though I have only a slight clue on how I'll set it up.  I've researched how guys do wire wheels and I think it can be a good basis to set these up for assembly.  If you can make me the "dice" valve stems, I'll be happy to put them on the car.  :P  Appreciate the encouragement as always!  

cheers,tim

1 down, 1 to go.  Assembly should have been a breeze I thought. I made a simple but fairly effective jig to locate everything but it took quite a bit of fiddling with it to get the first together.  I'm sharing pics of the wheel next to the kit wheel/tire combo as a comparison.  Fining polishing will really bring it to life.  cheers, tim

DSC 0016

You can clearly see how out of scale the kit wheel hub, spokes and rim are. 

DSC 0027

Tim... That is an outstanding update. Man that wheel is Gorgeous!!! :wub::wub: . Its a 1000 times better than the kit wheel. I can't wait to see the 2nd one done and then It will be so cool to see the chassis as a rolling chassis with both front and rear wheels on.  Keep up the Killer work!!

Hey guys, thanks much.  Here's all 4.  They're all drilled to accept tire valves after final polishing.  I'll do that last during the final assembly phase.  Cheers, Tim

DSC 0001

Edited by Codi

Tim... you have me speechless. Those rims are so gorgeous and have me drooling. Ypu are one of the best my friend. I hope to be able to machine my own stuff as nice as that some day. I just gotta ask what's next on the agenda list? Chassis by chance?? ;) I am dying to see this as a rolling chassis with those wheels. :wub:

There once was a machinist named Tim

Who decided to build him a rim

So he fashioned a ring

To replicate the thing

And now we all have to wait until he gets around to mounting them on the frame.

*****Zilla / 2016*****

Gorgeous machine work on the rims Tim!!!!  The style of the rears are something I have not seen before in scale,  Love it!!!   Those fronts look amazing, I can appreciate the planning that it took to get those angles right.

What material are you milling the tires from?

Truly impressed sir!

Randy

Thanks Chris & DaveWilly.  yes, one more thing on the list before I get to the chassis.  I have all I need now for proper planning and fitment to start it now.

Joe, limericks now huh?   That got a loud hearty chuckle from me.  Keep em' coming. 

Thanks too Randy.  The front rims, after assembly and removal from the jig were centered and didn't require any glue to hold the hub in place whatsoever. It was that tight of a fit and the angles I got lucky on.  I did add a little glue just to be sure of course.  The front tires are kit bashed and the rears are modified compresin tires.  I've still got a little more sanding and finessing the slicks yet as they're just a shade too wide and the sidewalls need a slight correction.  Close though.    When will we something soon from you btw?    

obviously, it is a breath of fresh air to see someone not only use parts that aren't the norm for a build but, also create them from scratch. the donovan is not a copy of some model company's work but, rather you're artistic interpretation of an absolutely stellar feat of engineering in drag racing history. the wheels.......well, the wheels are the same artistic view. as i watch this piece of miniature machining history unfold, i am left wondering what your next creation will be for this maximum effort build. i can only imagine...................

Tim, wonderful work....

@Dave

obviously, it is a breath of fresh air to see someone not only use parts that aren't the norm for a build but, also create them from scratch. the donovan is not a copy of some model company's work  I have problems with this statement.  It seems somewhat belittling to me. 

edit....lots of very good modelers here on our forum and ....edit

Should my comment be out of place, I'll gladly edit.

Edited by 10thumbs

Michael,  please remove your comments and I'd prefer if you omit any and ALL future posts to my threads.  Tim

Tim, removing my comments was not the offer, just editing the comments was the offering. 

I don't remember reading that you accept only positive replies or comments. 

I find it strange that you receive praise from only members of your choice.  But then we both know that sometimes criticism goes both ways, don't we?

Your preference may not be the same as mine.

Still wonderful work on the fronts wheels.

Edited by 10thumbs

If you have an issue Michael, real or perceived with someone's comments, then I suggest you do the mature thing and take it up with them directly via a PM.   I'll ask again that you remove your post as I don't appreciate your hi-jacking my thread over a perceived slight. 

Tim

Ok, I will try to bring this back on track.  This is a photo of an issue I ran into with my mill.  With the rotary table mounted on the angle plate I have a clearance problem with the motor mount on the right side of the mill head.  This only happens when I am using end mills that require the use of a collet to hold them.  You just can't lower the head far enough to make contact with the part. 

I am bring this up to you because I discovered something.  As you probably already know the rotary table can only be mounted one way on the angle table and that is to the right.  Well, Shurline will custom make a rotary table with  the controls on the other side so you can mount is on the left side of the head and avoid this issue.  They don't charge extra for it, but it is definitely not in their catalog.  You have to call them and order it special.  If you ever run into it, you know they have the solution.

collet interferance.jpg

If you have an issue Michael, real or perceived with someone's comments, then I suggest you do the mature thing and take it up with them directly via a PM.   I'll ask again that you remove your post as I don't appreciate your hi-jacking my thread over a perceived slight. 

Tim

The reply concerning you and someone else has been edited, as offered.

My last comment was directed to you, no one else.  I'll pass on the PM though, not to worry.