Model Cars Magazine Forum

More Efficient Solar Cells from Same Material

Recently published results of an important study conducted at a Saudi university indicate that a new generation of vastly more efficient photovoltaic solar cells may be on the horizon. In simple terms, a refinement in manufacturing of a common material used for the cells seems to yield a product that produces much more electricity for a given surface area.

Solar cell efficiency hit a 'wall' about 17 years ago, and hasn't improved much in the intervening time. Researchers worldwide have been looking at other materials to use to get improved performance, but this study indicates that a new way of making the old standard may very well be the answer.

What this means for everyone is that, rather than solar-electric being more of an adjunct to conventional electrical power production as it is today, it may now have the potential...fairly soon...to become a primary energy source, both for automotive and household / industrial use.

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-solar-cell-mystery-greatly-efficiency.html

That's good...we need to start making some breakthroughs in alternate energy so there are viable options in place before we start hitting serious shortages with coal. Since nobody wants to touch Nuclear energy anymore, we need viable alternatives. 

Here in southern Nevada solar cells make complete sense. Breakthroughs in technology are welcome. Trouble is the "good old boy" network that runs Nevada Power has gone out of their way to deter the use of solar energy. They have managed to persuade the state legislature to tax solar cell users to the point that they convert back to regular old electricity from the conglomerate. 

G

Here in southern Nevada solar cells make complete sense. Breakthroughs in technology are welcome. Trouble is the "good old boy" network that runs Nevada Power has gone out of their way to deter the use of solar energy. They have managed to persuade the state legislature to tax solar cell users to the point that they convert back to regular old electricity from the conglomerate. 

G

They tried that in California too, but got shut down.

We have a solar system. It was a good investment for us since we plan on keeping this home. Power bill went from 200.00 average to 1.69. The payment for the cells is still cheaper than the old bill and in less than a decade, we will own them. 

They're definitely making a lot of strides in the efficiency of alternate energy. Now if they can just get the manufacturing processes perfected to where the produce less harmful stuff into the atmosphere, we'll be in a win-win situation over coal.

They're definitely making a lot of strides in the efficiency of alternate energy. Now if they can just get the manufacturing processes perfected to where the produce less harmful stuff into the atmosphere, we'll be in a win-win situation over coal.

Think of it this way, at least they can produce power without polluting beyond their manufacture and installation.

Think of it this way, at least they can produce power without polluting beyond their manufacture and installation.

Well, maybe, I'm not all that "up" on solar panels, and although I know there's some pretty harmful stuff expelled during the manufacturing process, I don't know what the long-term impact is. However, speaking in general, some focus needs to be spent on fixing those flaws. Electric cars for instance, are FAR worse for the environment than your average fuel-drinker, because of the dirtiness in both the manufacturing and disposal of the batteries. I'm sure those problems aren't being ignored, and it's not going to happen overnight, but I think it's imperative if you're going to sell alternate energy\fuel\etc to the masses. 

Well, maybe, I'm not all that "up" on solar panels, and although I know there's some pretty harmful stuff expelled during the manufacturing process, I don't know what the long-term impact is. However, speaking in general, some focus needs to be spent on fixing those flaws. Electric cars for instance, are FAR worse for the environment than your average fuel-drinker, because of the dirtiness in both the manufacturing and disposal of the batteries. I'm sure those problems aren't being ignored, and it's not going to happen overnight, but I think it's imperative if you're going to sell alternate energy\fuel\etc to the masses. 

Battery and solar cell manufacturing and recycling CAN be clean processes. Yes, there are toxic byproducts, and those things have value if they're efficiently recycled.

Burning coal is also dirtier than necessary, but it too CAN be a very clean process, with value extracted from the waste stream.

The technology exists ALREADY to clean all of these "problems" up, but there's more energy spent on foot-dragging, political posturing and hand-wringing than in just getting the damm job done.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Battery and solar cell manufacturing and recycling CAN be clean processes. Yes, there are toxic byproducts, and those things have value if they're efficiently recycled.

Burning coal is also dirtier than necessary, but it too CAN be a very clean process, with value extracted from the waste stream.

The technology exists ALREADY to clean all of these "problems" up, but there's more energy spent on foot-dragging, political posturing and hand-wringing than in just getting the damm job done.

Well, there's a big surprise...Politicians holding up progress.

^This.

Charlie Larkin