Model Cars Magazine Forum

Robin's '65 Corvette Roadster

curt raitz

I was contacted by this fellow whom I had built a model of his '69 Chevelle SS a few years ago. His wife Robin has a '65 Corvette Roadster and inquired if I could build a model of her car. I told him there never was a scale model of the '65 Corvette Roadster produced, but I could probably do it using the a number of the model car kits of the '63 - '67 Corvettes. He sent me pictures of her car and I noticed she had '66 wheel covers and the older style 327 valve covers, so the search started.

I already had a '67 Corvette Roadster kit and a '63 Corvette kit to use. My buddy Steve had a '65 Corvette Coupe body I could use. I found the valve covers in the '65 Chenille Superwagon kit. The '66 wheel covers were a different story, I could not find them anywhere! Modelhaus to the rescue, not only did they have the wheels but the white striped tires as well.

I grafted the side vents from the '65 Corvette Coupe onto the '67 Roadster body, modified  the hood from the '63 Corvette and used the the chassis and suspension from the '67 Corvette.

Paint is Chevrolet XX Goldwood Yellow from Scalefinishes.

The most enjoyable part of building this model is the fact I owned a same colored  '65 Corvette roadster...wish i still had it!

Well all said and done here is Robin's '65 Corvette.

Very nice. I'm sure your customer will be very pleased with it. 

BTW, AMT did do a '65 roadster annual back in 1965 ,, I'm restomodding one right now.

Thanx

I bet ya one of those would be a little pricey...I did not find one on while searching the world wide web...

have fun...

Very nice except for the black lines.

Thank you, Sir

Yep, the panel lines are a little on the "harsh-side"...they appear worse in the photos than on the model.

She liked the model a lot, so there we go. :blink:

Edited by curt raitz

Thank you, Sir

Yep, the panel lines are a little on the "harsh-side"...they appear worse in the photos than on the model.

She liked the model a lot, so there we go. :blink:

Agreed on the panel lines. Other than that, it's a really great build.