Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Mercedes AMG DTM C Klasse 2009

PatW

Built box stock to depict Gary Paffett's 2009 car which he took to 2nd in the DTM championship that year. Nice kit all fits very well, full engine/gearbox/steering. Excellent decals, some are long and I would suggest be cut in two for easier lay-up. Odd colouring to plastic moulding, all bar chrome and body/bonnet in nice white plastic but body/bonnet in a mix of ivory and grey! So as car is initially white, body and bonnet need to be painted white and orange gloss nose painted on after. Painted this one in matt white, laid up decals to body/bonnet then two coats of gloss clear added. 

Bonnet lifts off to see engine detail.

59_zpsgi0tj0i8.jpg

60_zpszlxmlltt.jpg

61_zpsnkpeg21e.jpg

64_zpsk0rtwqwm.jpg

65_zps5wiwkfgo.jpg

58_zpsmt1cpvsq.jpg

Great job, Pat.

I'm a big fan of DTM too, and have just started this kit myself - so far I've got the body painted, the masking for the orange is a nice hurdle to get over, isn't it?

I've already built the Schumacher version, it really is a great kit (as are the others in this series).

Thanks guys. The interior was complex but by sticking to the instructions it came together very nicely indeed.

I traced the template for the orange nose and tranferred that to a masked bonnet, trimmed around the edge of the traced image and using a sharp blade cut out the shape, leaving the rest of the nose masked ready for paint.

I also have the black Audi from the same series to build. I have already built the much earlier Mercedes yellow car and will take a photo of the two together on my return. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, much obliged!

Well Scott, talking about good summer. We have recently returned (last Thursday) from Canada & Alaska tour. Starting at the Calgary Stampede, 2 days, Staying with our eldest son and daughter-in-law south of Calgary for a few days, onto the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver and onto a cruise to Alaska, stopping at Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan, with various stops and excursions, narrow guage railway, seaplane flight etc. and then unfortunately back home!

What a beautiful country you have.

That sounds sweet Patrick happy Canada treated you well, you have probably seen more of the prettier spots than I have!!

Funnily enough the Rocky Mountaineer train passed by my wife and I just yesterday morning as we drove to our house. I said to her "that is one trip on my bucket list" and she agreed.

Seaplane flight out of Vancouver is another thing I have to do as well. Alaska trip for sure as well.

So happy to hear you guys had a good time, I must have ESP and knew you were here B)

Thanks Douglas.

Scott, our Seaplane trip was called 'Misty Fjords' by Taquan Seaplanes at Ketchikan, which is about an hour. Amazing scenery of one of the remotest area's on earth! After about half an hour our pilot suggested we 'take a break'! We flew up to a lake totally surrounded by mountains and landed on it!

The pilot then asked us to get out onto the pilot's side float and take photo's! So there's 6 of us (including the pilot) on the float!  I took a step/shuffle back to take a photo of the others, holding onto a small luggage door opening in the fuselage to the rear of the float and wearing canvas shoes  ( wring it out later!) noticed that my right foot, furthest back was starting to get wet! It's a good job that they have grip tape at different intervals along the top of the float! 

The first pic is of 'the others'

173_zps34mnhi3h.jpg

and the second pic is my wife and I with the tailplane behind us......

174_zpstkukomhh.jpg

A flight never to be missed!