Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Del Rio Custom Wagon

Sport Suburban

I love the color choices! What brand clear did you use?

I used Sherwin Williams CC939 automotive clear coat. It is great paint but I would not recomend it for models for a few reasons. First it is expensive at about $500 a gallon (350 for clear, 120 for hardener, 75 for reducer). If you need to strip a model if you mess up, purple pond and brake fluid will not remove it. Those methods have to get to the base coat and will strip it away but the clear will come off in sheets. I have used scotch tape to pull the clear off first. Also it seams to bond well to Tamiya and Scale Finishes paint but I have problems with Testors paints. It has pealed off during foiling or additional masking. I have a 70 AMX that I had to strip and start over because the clear lifted right off the paint when I masked for the shadow mask. The real reason I use it is because I have about a quart left over from painting my real car. It is great paint when used properly with a proper base but risky with other model paints. I have not had any issues with it when it comes to decals.

Beautiful build. You even kept the cats. in the exhaust. I also think these cars look good with the trim removed from the hood.

That was me being lazy. I needed to connect the exhaust and realized I could use the cats and cut at the cross member. Then use the rest of the factory exhaust from the 57 from that point. I built this in three weeks for a club theme. The hood emblem was the only body mod I did to this one. I personally didn't like it there either.

That was me being lazy. I needed to connect the exhaust and realized I could use the cats and cut at the cross member. Then use the rest of the factory exhaust from the 57 from that point. I built this in three weeks for a club theme. The hood emblem was the only body mod I did to this one. I personally didn't like it there either.

I have the same two kits to try and do what you did just have to finish a couple of others to get there so when I saw this I was really happy to see how it turned out. The '57 Ford has a special meaning for me as I have owned two in the past and they were really great cars. I had both of them nosed and decked, they just look better that way.  

Hi Raoul,  that is a beautiful model,  very cleanly built, my opinion.

Question; I can't really tell, but it looks like the grill has been actually opened up, or is it a wash using black paint?  Looks very good up front.

Also, I like the really clear glass!  Did you polish out the kit glass?  If so, please tell us how you did it, or maybe a hint at which material you used for the glass.  It looks thin too, very convincing.  A wonderful model, compliments.

Hi Raoul,  that is a beautiful model,  very cleanly built, my opinion.

Question; I can't really tell, but it looks like the grill has been actually opened up, or is it a wash using black paint?  Looks very good up front.

Also, I like the really clear glass!  Did you polish out the kit glass?  If so, please tell us how you did it, or maybe a hint at which material you used for the glass.  It looks thin too, very convincing.  A wonderful model, compliments.

I really didn't do anything to the glass. It was bagged separately from Revell and well protected. I didn't really polish it. I did clean it real good and made sure to clean off all the fingerprints from the inside just before I installed the interior for the last time. The outside also got the same cleaning when it was finished. One last wipe down with disposable lens cleaner right before photos helps too.

Also the grill is molded open right from Revell also so no detail painting was done. I did however clean up any flash that was present in the grill. My wagon example was much better in this regard that the chrome tree in my Modelking 57 Custom Police issue.

Edited by Sport Suburban

That's the nicest example of that kit that I have seen yet.  Really nice all around. 

The paint work and color combo are perfect.  Now I have to go look at your other posts...

Now I'm going to have to post some more. I have six that I have finished this year so far but these are the first two that I have shown.