Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '69 Dodge 440 Six-Pack (Super Bee)

Xingu

Still practicing and still trying to do a little more on each model as far as details go. On this model I learned that I need to plan out every step and color choice before I start. Forgot to paint the rear side marker light trim before I put the decals on., so not as clean as it should have been. The grill and rear light panel were tricky and took some effort to get "good enough". I tried to mold in the six pack hood scoop. It was a good plan, poorly executed. Wanted to try the Testors One Coat Lacquer, so went with the Lime Ice green for a "similar to" factory color choice. Tried to put a few more details in the interior and chassis areas (excess decal has since been trimmed from underside of body). They look good from about 5 feet away. This was built from an open kit that I bought and surprisingly, all the parts were there as most were already removed from the trees. The chassis was warped, so I heated it up in a pan of water and gently flexed it back into shape.

Thanks all. I like the color, but not sure if I like it with that much flake in it. If I hadn't straightened the chassis, the right front wheel would be about 3/8" in the air. If it didn't straighten, I guess I would of put crinkle wall slicks on it and displayed it leaving the line at a drag strip. I wanted to use redline tires, but I didn't have any in 1/24.

Testors One-coats look great on these musclecars, and yours did great! One small thing, you might want to catch the bottom end of those "Superbee" decals before they curl out. Something like Micro-Set should tame them.

Otherwise, awesome Mopar!

Looking clean!, keep up the learning process, you're doing great! Q:how did the paint lay down for you? did it want to run on you at any time? or did the metal flakes want to collect anywhere? -just curious, I've never used it before, and I have the Rootbeer color I wanna try.

Looking clean!, keep up the learning process, you're doing great! Q:how did the paint lay down for you? did it want to run on you at any time? or did the metal flakes want to collect anywhere? -just curious, I've never used it before, and I have the Rootbeer color I wanna try.

I laid down OK and did not run. It took a little more than one can to paint this model and when I put the clear on I noticed it was still thin in a few spots. It has too much flake for my taste though, but I knew that was going to be the case when using this paint.