Model Cars Magazine Forum

WARNING!

DO NOT click on that "You have a new message"(or more than one) spam ad at the top of pages here on MCM!  It's "ransom ware" that tries to convince you to go to their website, pay a fee to unlock your computer!

GREGG, please take steps to remove this!

(if anyone does click on that, get the ransom ware screen--the only way out of it is to shut down your puter manually (push your on-off button), then turn your computer back on--when everything reloads, you can resume using your puter with no payment to any internet thug--I learned that months ago, and even tested it here just now--the technique works.)

Art Anderson

Art,

Some/most of the banner ads you see on websites are generated by cookies set on your device from other websites you have visited. I don't know what device or browser you are using, but I would suggest clearing the cookies.

--Steve

And if things do go wonky on your OS after having such a thing happen, you can always do a System Restore. That's if you're running Windows. I'm not sure what Mac folks do..........

I have an AdBlocker extension on my browser (Chrome) so I don't see such ads either. Some of them can really slow things down they take so long to load.

Not a problem for me, as uBlock prohibits me from even seeing it's there. I've been using blocking software for so long, that I'd almost forgotten what it's like to see stupid ads all over the place.

Ad Blocker fixes a lot of these problems.

Charlie Larkin

Yes, I use an extension of the Avast antivirus I use on my computers called Avast online security, and I have it set to block ads. 

Of course the simplest thing to do is

NOT CLICK ON AN AD!!!  

And if things do go wonky on your OS after having such a thing happen, you can always do a System Restore. That's if you're running Windows. I'm not sure what Mac folks do..........

I have an AdBlocker extension on my browser (Chrome) so I don't see such ads either. Some of them can really slow things down they take so long to load.

Us Mac users just go on with our day as most attacks are aimed at Windows. They go after the big fish...J/K. Seriously, UBlock Origin is one of the best as blockers I have used. It not only blocks all of the ads (I disable it on the sites I believe in and want to support) but, it blocks the ads at the beginning of YouTube videos. I run this and the Ad Block+ plugins for both FireFox and Chrome and I never see an ad unless I want to.