Model Cars Magazine Forum

1995 Ferrari F50

Plastheniker

Hi,

my old instruction sheet says that Tamiya released this kit in 1995, so I suppose that I built it 15 or 20 years ago.

I still remember that it was a typical Tamiya kit: Pricey, without major issues and giving a convincing final result without much effort, but on the other hand no real challenge for experienced modelers.

IMO the same can be said about most of these modern, sophisticated Tamiya/Fujimi/Hasegawa/Aoshima kits. Recently a fellow modeler called them "poacher's kits" by analogy to the football ( aka soccer) term "poacher's goal" :lol: .

Anyway this is the finished model:

I remember getting the Testor's version of this kit for Christmas, sometime around '95.  I remember thinking the same thing - good look'n car, decent kit to build from.  Wish I could take another crack at it now.

Never been an Exotics fan, but do love the looks of the F50.  Probably my favorite design from the prancing horse.

Nice work on your build - looks great!

Thanks for the comments!

One question tho, did you make a mask for the seats? If not, how did you get such a crisp line between the black  and red? Cheers buddy!

To be honest I don't remember after such a long time what I did on these particular seats but usually I do this:

• When there is a sharp groove or a clearly raised line I spray the seats with the main colour (here black). Then I dilute the second paint (red) and let it flow into the groove or along the raised line. When the red is completely dry touching up can be done with a small brush or with a black permanent marker with a very small tip. If necessary I guide the latter with a piece of styrene edge as a ruler.

• When there is neither a groove nor a raised line I spray the seats with the main colour (black) and foil the borderline with BMF. After cutting with a #11 blade along this borderline I remove the foil from the areas intended to be painted red. Burnishing down the foil vigorously and sealing the edge with clear prevents paint from bleeding under the foil.

I hope this is understandable.