Model Cars Magazine Forum

Winter Weather

madhorseman

A week ago here in Charlotte they were calling for at least 4 inches of snow and possibly up to 8 or more inches in some places. When the storm moved out of here last Saturday, we barely had enough to cover the grass and the streets were dry. The northern part of the county and city saw much more, 3-5 inches and then the cold set in for a couple of days. Fast forward to today and it was 72 degrees! Tomorrow could be a new record high, and the 7 day outlook is for temps to be 10-15 degrees above normal, into the low/mid 60's. Sure hope last weekend was the extent of our winter!

A week ago here in Charlotte they were calling for at least 4 inches of snow and possibly up to 8 or more inches in some places. When the storm moved out of here last Saturday, we barely had enough to cover the grass and the streets were dry. The northern part of the county and city saw much more, 3-5 inches and then the cold set in for a couple of days. Fast forward to today and it was 72 degrees! Tomorrow could be a new record high, and the 7 day outlook is for temps to be 10-15 degrees above normal, into the low/mid 60's. Sure hope last weekend was the extent of our winter!

It's early in the year yet as it's only mid-January, so I would expect more winter in the next month or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Already late January and I have yet to put gas into the snow blower!   A bit o' rain the next few days but will be too warm for snow the entire next week. And plants have started growing!  Hoping this is the winter that never was here!

And a story.... many years ago I was part of a huge renovation project that included labs on a very tight critical path schedule.  The previous winter we had teams shoveling record snow off the roofs so they wouldn't collapse!  I knew that the lab furniture companies were in the snow belt, so I ordered it all ahead of schedule and put it in a warehouse in NJ.   As luck would have it, it didn't snow not even once that winter.  We got our labs built.  Wouldn't ya know...  there was a senior idiot who didn't want to pay the warehouse fee.   Same idiot didn't want to pay computer maintenance fees because our system ran flawlessly... um, it runs flawlessly because we maintain them?

Edited by Tom Geiger

....planting tomatoes.  Gotta love it.

Yeah, rub it in guys.

Old Germany and the rest of Europe has had sub freezing for weeks now, no end in sight.  The heavy snow is still there and hard to negotiate.

Good is, 10 days now of a high front.  Sunshine and blue skies with tasty clear cold is winter pure!  I kind of like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Another media "Storm of the Century" come and gone.  Funny thing it was 60 degrees yesterday and a major northeaster forecast with 10" snow for today! People went bonkers doing the milk and bread thing, all the schools closed and even major companies announcing closings yesterday.  Last night it was raining here, so the concern was that it would all freeze under the snow, which is the worst situation.

This morning?  I might have 2" here.  Not enough snow to fire up the snowblower.  My driveway and sidewalk has already melted clean.  The big inconvenience? I am running a two day class, yesterday and today.  The company is closed today.  I had to make provisions for our day two to be Friday.  And the worst part is we have out of town people in local hotels.   All for the storm of nothing!

Another media "Storm of the Century" come and gone.  Funny thing it was 60 degrees yesterday and a major northeaster forecast with 10" snow for today! People went bonkers doing the milk and bread thing, all the schools closed and even major companies announcing closings yesterday.  Last night it was raining here, so the concern was that it would all freeze under the snow, which is the worst situation.

This morning?  I might have 2" here.  Not enough snow to fire up the snowblower.  My driveway and sidewalk has already melted clean.  The big inconvenience? I am running a two day class, yesterday and today.  The company is closed today.  I had to make provisions for our day two to be Friday.  And the worst part is we have out of town people in local hotels.   All for the storm of nothing!

Whoa, that's not good.

This Nor'easter popped in just in time for the hour drive to Leeds VA for new hearing aids. You don't miss Audiology unless you want to wait another month.

And I haven't driven a storm in years so was looking forward to it. It was a 20-30 mph blast thru the wilds of western Massachusetts and I had a blast! :)   The GTI stayed home and took the Audi Q5 which even went up our steep driveway with 12" measured on the deck.

Noreaster%20drive%20%20river%20sml%20_DS

Noreaster%20drive%20blur%20_DSC1023_zps6

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...

see my neighbor across the street with the International Eagle, he had to make a run to the Kootneys the other night. he usually backs into my driveway, then swings onto the road. well that did'nt happen, had it stuck for a couple hrs in my driveway. he only has one tire chain at the moment, tore up his other ones last week dragging 55 tons over the Coquihalla hiway, and his new loggers being made are'nt ready yet. we were shovelling for awhile, when some guy in a mid '80's F150 (who has obviously seen too many ford commercials...) figured he could pull out buddy's 18 000 lb tractor... ok, your truck, went to put the strap around his hitch, and he says no and just drops it over the ball. first attempt he went at it slow and moved the tractor 0.0001 of an inch. so for the second try he decided to yank it (all 18 000 lbs...) he took off, hit the end of the strap, and just a micro second before the ball came flying off at 100mph, there was a loud bang as the rear diff exploded it's guts....and got himself stuck. i yanked him out with my truck and he limped off in front wheel drive (prob wondering what they do in the commercials that he did'nt do...;))

then my other neighbor with a '014 ram 1/2 ton decided to give it a try.  people should not belive everything they see on tv or the internet...put the strap around  his hitch, and he hit it so hard, it yanked his truck sideways and the strap damaged his tailpipe and rear bumper...and he also moved the tractor 0.0001 of an inch....and he got stuck sideways, so i also yanked him straight... 

then we put the one chain on the drivers rear, dug threw the snow in his back yard for some gravel, and he adjusted his air to try get all the wheels on the ground. i should mention buddy paid off the truck yrs ago and has been turning it into a hot rod International, it has over 700 horses, and he used about 650 of them.... ever heard a N14 Cummins winding out to 2500? ate down to the pavement for a wicked spark show, also left a divot in my concrete, then looked totally awesome drifting down the street sideways...

2679_opt.thumb.jpg.11ae2d5e1379e036d00161378_opt.thumb.jpg.f6e896bc6c46c02d9d489

and we're having the winter that just won't end....ice storm blew in last night...luckily my crew is dry, in the shop getting a faster ratio steering box

bring on the global warming..:D

3928_opt.thumb.jpg.8f4e4f19c4ffc5f17261b3930_opt.thumb.jpg.c31d4b5bd4dc6fa868984

wife's clothes line is biting the big one, mind you, i put the pole up 21 yrs ago. nine o'clock in the morn ......and 20 mins later

1384_opt.thumb.jpg.771620c120133e2023ad03935_opt.thumb.jpg.25a6d2801fd6a397fae7e

pole is getting pulled over                                                                                                                                          thought this looked kinda cool- literally...

3937_opt.thumb.jpg.cee1c525fe72ed279e0bd3934_opt.thumb.jpg.69cbfad44d28eeb418e4b

power went out at 11 am, did'nt kick on till 12 hrs later at 11:30 pm-ice brought down the neighbors wires, and a 70 foot Douglas at the other end of the street came down and took the wires, the pole, and blew the transformer

3931_opt.thumb.jpg.da73eee86d6748ba74440

Back in '03 I "flat out" told a dealer/salesperson that he or I don't know anybody who drives in some of those places in those TV commercials. Where I live they use "snow plows"  to move the snow and allow traffic to flow.