Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra CSX2001 '64 Tour de France

afx

And speaking of wheels the TdF car ran GT40 style Halibrands at the rear and as best as I can determine FIA style Halibrands at the front.

no-189-jean-vincent-gerard-fagets-shelby-cobra-in-the-automobile-tour-DH5WJCtdf2001

As mentioned above HRM offers a beautiful set of the FIA wheels and Goodyear Sportscar Special Tires but I have never found a nice 1/25 scale GT40 Halibrand.  So we make one!  The Fujimi wheels are gorgeous but too large as they are 1/24 scale.  After some measuring I determined the wheel center could be made to fit HRM's outer rim and tires.  Working from a set of Fujimi fronts this is what I came up with.

DSCN3909

VERY sweet!!!

Wow! Looks great. I'm excited to watch this build, as I work with current CSX2001 owner Bruce Meyer and see this car every day! Let me know if I can be of image/detail assistance. Also, If I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion - this car is the only Cobra whose rear flare actually starts in the door, unlike the FIA roadsters, and flows into the rear fender...seems goofy at first for those used to the FIA cars, but it makes sense in person...

Wow! Looks great. I'm excited to watch this build, as I work with current CSX2001 owner Bruce Meyer and see this car every day! Let me know if I can be of image/detail assistance. Also, If I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion - this car is the only Cobra whose rear flare actually starts in the door, unlike the FIA roadsters, and flows into the rear fender...seems goofy at first for those used to the FIA cars, but it makes sense in person...

Thanks Tom. The restored car certainly is a looker and I see what you mean regarding the door opening extending into the rear flare. If Mr. Meyer's has any information on the '64 Tdf car (or any race it competed in with the hardtop) I would love to have it.

Cobra_1962_CSX_2001_III.jpg

Edited by afx

NICE!!!

I have for MANY years wanted to hack up an AMT 289 to attempt to make the FLIP FLOP

when it was in its 390 configuration, was the motor aluminum?

Thanks Mike.  A friend of mine is working on the Flip-Top (it's the unpainted body sitting in front of the row of Cobras).  He started with the Revell/Monogram 427 and I agree that a 427 body would be a better starting point.  And yes the car originally ran an experimental aluminium block 390.  At the Nassau Speed Week in '64 it ran away from a pair of Corvette Grand Sports a couple of GT40 and various Ferrari 250 GTOs and 250LMs.  Unfortunately the engine blew and the car didn't finish or it would have literally won by miles.

Edited by afx

I aint no where near this level. Intense stuff JC.

I didn't think I could do this level of mods either Joe.  A few years back I decided I would try and surprised myself.  You will make mistakes, at least I did, but you don't have to show anyone the screw ups.  Just show the good stuff.:D

Here are a couple shots of the car running No. 18 at the 1000km de Paris in 1964, another from the TdF, and a overhead shot while the car was being updated at Chardonnet - you really nailed the shape of the hood scoop and vent, JC!

csx2001_1.jpg

csx2001_2.jpg

csx2001_3.jpg

csx2001_4.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the car running No. 18 at the 1000km de Paris in 1964, another from the TdF, and a overhead shot while the car was being updated at Chardonnet - you really nailed the shape of the hood scoop and vent, JC!

Great photos Tom do you have anymore?  Do you know if the car was painted red?

I think you have all of the pertinent photos already, but here's one showing a better view of the front end, and one of the car in a French hillclimb, when it ran with a Targa top (I'm sure it made sense at the time...?).

Regarding the color, I always assumed it was red, but I've never confirmed that.

csx2001_5.jpg

csx2001_6.jpg

I think you have all of the pertinent photos already, but here's one showing a better view of the front end, and one of the car in a French hillclimb, when it ran with a Targa top (I'm sure it made sense at the time...?).

Regarding the color, I always assumed it was red, but I've never confirmed that.

Hillclimbs are all about acceleration, point and shoot corner to corner, aerodynamics not so much,  so I suspect they removed the roof to reduce weight.  Sure makes for a crazy looking car though.  Thanks again for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Edited by afx

The restored car certainly is a looker and I see what you mean regarding the door opening extending into the rear flare. If Mr. Meyer's has any information on the '64 Tdf car (or any race it competed in with the hardtop) I would love to have it.

Cobra_1962_CSX_2001_III.jpg

I didn't think that I have a favorite Cobra.....but there it is!:wub:

I did notice that.  It may have been done to optimize the position of the driving lights.  The cars had to be street legal to compete in the TdF,  they drove from stage to stage on public roads during the event. Therefore even when the driving lights were mounted the turn signals would have to be visible.  

Bob Bondurant tells a story of pulling into a gas station in a Daytona Coupe during the event.  He didn't have any money and the station owner was yelling at him.  He couldn't understand a word because the guy was French. He finished filling up and handed the guy the nozzle and blasted off.  He sent a team member back later to pay for the gas.

Went to see Mr. HRM today hoping I could convince him to cast my GT40 wheels and he has agreed.  To my surprise however he also wants to cast the body.  Not sure if he plans to offer it as a kit or just wants a copy for himself.  Either way there will be some down time until I get my kit back.  Stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...