Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 289 Cobra

cobraman

I was noticing that with all the Cobra's I have built I have never built one using the hardtop so...... I am. Not much to show yet but will start prepping the body and parts tomorrow. This will not be built to the caliber of a AFX build but hopefully will still turn out nice enough to go into the cabinet.

The hardtop AMT modeled is of course neither the "LeMans hardtop" nor the factory option "Berry Plastiglass" unit. It does replicate the top on a touring show car that was shown as the "Queen Cobra". I had a Rod and Custom or one of those period magazines with pictures from an ISCA show with the Cobra featuring the hardtop. I have never found any additional pictures nor what CSX number the car was but pretty sure it was a worm and sector steering chassis.

I tried a few different searches as well and no luck.

I've been known to locate things from time to time, but the most I can dredge up is a guy doing the same search almost 10 years back, who thought it might have been in Car Craft's circa 1966 Oakland Roadster show coverage: http://saacforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=4fchtgu65fs149jivih6afgrq0&action=printpage;topic=36.0

I sure wish I would have taken a picture of my 289 before I stripped it last summer. I had the hard top painted and sitting on it but the paint job I did 30 years ago was not so good. I built the same kit Ray is working on now. Same box art but my body was not straight and Then I did not know how to try straighten it. It looked as if the Cobra was launching from a drag race.