Model Cars Magazine Forum

Homebuilt Guitar Appreciation thread

iamsuperdan

44 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

That looks killer Jeremy.  Also, thanks for reviving this thread.  I’d never seen it before.  Some great looking stuff has been posted!

I’ve been building guitars since the mid 90’s.  Here’s my last build from about a year ago.

Holy moly. That Jackson is a beauty! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't touched a guitar since my mahogany/rosewood flattop Spanish acoustic Goya left home with one of my exes way long ago, and I know zip-zero-nada about electric guitars, but I sure enjoy seeing you guys restore and build these things. Most excellent.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Holy moly. That Jackson is a beauty! 

Thanks Dan.  A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into this one.   At one point, I almost scrapped the whole project.
I spent three weeks hand-applying the polyurethane finish to the body.  30+ very thin coats, sanding everything level after every fifth coat.  Then I let it cure for six weeks.

After the sixth week, I unbolted it from the stand it was attached to so I could start wet sanding.  Turned around and lost my grip on the body.  On the way down, the body hit the metal corner of my bench, gouging it in two places, and then came to rest on the concrete floor, causing still more damage.

To say I was upset would be a huge understatement.  I tossed it on my bench and wouldn’t even look at it for two weeks.  Then after calming down,  I assessed the damage and started drop-filling the gouges.  Believe it or not, you can’t tell anything even happened now.

Total time to get the finish done ended up being around three months.

• Like 2

I know less than zero-zip-nada about electric guitars, but I love what can come out of them in skilled hands. My wife started playing guitar a few years back and just bought her first electric. I felt like you guys were speaking some foreign language in this thread so I googled this article to get some basic knowledge and didn’t realize how deep, deep, deep this rabbit hole could be.🧐 Carry on boys…your creations are beautiful and rewarding!😎

https://www.gearank.com/articles/electric-guitar-types

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 8:34 AM, atomicholiday said:

That looks killer Jeremy.  Also, thanks for reviving this thread.  I’d never seen it before.  Some great looking stuff has been posted!

I’ve been building guitars since the mid 90’s.  Here’s my last build from about a year ago.

IMG_1996.thumb.jpeg.7d7f74d346817165fb556d31e38e0332.jpeg

Got into amp building several years back too.  I built this Mojo Tone 1 watt amp last.  Love this thing!  It’s like having a 1watt Marshall JCM900

IMG_1465.thumb.jpeg.81c6865950761ea8efe4ab5ead42a29e.jpegIMG_1461.thumb.jpeg.1979e336f44f442fa2ea8bb29a4fff06.jpeg

Thank ya much!

Mighty fine looking gear you have there yourself

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I just need to post these pics so I can link to them on another forum I can't post pics on. I'm having some wiring issues.

I'm not great with wiring, but that looks complicated. Lots going on for a Tele.

What's with the paint job? At first it looked like white paint over a crackle finish. But then that original finish doesn't quite look like crackle. I LOVE crackle finishes.

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I'm not great with wiring, but that looks complicated. Lots going on for a Tele.

What's with the paint job? At first it looked like white paint over a crackle finish. But then that original finish doesn't quite look like crackle. I LOVE crackle finishes.

The diagram I'm working on uses two coil split-able rail humbuckers, a five way super switch and two push/pull pots to give you seven total pickup options. Here's a link to the original post with some notes about a couple changes that need to be made.

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1748&page=16

For the paint, the goal was a to make a guitar that looked like it have been through several revamps over the years. I started with what would have been the original finish, a two tone sunburst. Then I used a crackle stensil and applied the metallic red paint, I wanted wider cracks because I wanted the sunburst to be recognizable under the white top coat. The white was actual crackle paint and most of it fell off immediately and left way more of the red exposed than I had intended. At that point I was kind of over it so I covered what was left with polyurethane. Here's a better pic of the body.

20240315_234923.thumb.jpg.ec529afa63420d8b1ba4a62f405778f3.jpg

• Like 1

Just to preface : I couldn't play an instrument if my life depended on it. Likewise, I know little to nothing about the technical aspects of instruments (let alone being able to read / understand music) , so I'll defer the nitty-gritty to the accompanying link.

With that out of the way - here's one of the coolest guitars EVER : the White-Parsons B-Bender . I've seen countless videos of the late Clarence playing his invention (innovation ?) with The Byrds. Then I saw Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives (fantastique band ! Forget about it !) on 15-4-2022. Now, Marty owns/curates the original B-Bender as owned by Clarence, purchased from White's widow in c.1980 by Stuart.

B-Bender - Wikipedia

b-bender.jpg.df8d75222f261bfe0e92f689ff2b5e5d.jpg

Edited by 1972coronet
*TYPO*