Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salt Lick --Updated 3/29/17

DrKerry

I started out with one of Flintstone's bodies on this one. Cut the hood and the track nose off of it. Track nose will be going back on.... however I'm sitting at a cross road and am stumped!!!! Any ideas or criticism would be of help right now.... to get the front suspension under the frame is going to require bringing it up. My thought was cutting the rails back at the firewall and pinching them in a bit and cutting/narrowing the rails all the way to the nose and pulling everything inside the hood sides. That and raising the front cross member up to mount under it and chopping off the front frame horns to allow the track nose to mount back up front. In a sense only having the front axle coming out from under the body up front.....

so with that what do ya think??????? This sound like a good idea or is there a better way?? Keep in mind I want to keep the 32 tube axle up front, no independent type. Keeping it kind of old skool!!!

You can see the blue lines by the motor mounts showing where the hood sides are sitting currently..

IMG_2528.thumb.JPG.9c9034f4f988e95f6d3df

IMG_2529.thumb.JPG.c728c44bba66bab85a7e4

IMG_2528.thumb.JPG.9c9034f4f988e95f6d3df

I will will also be re doing the motor mounts and taking these out.....

with the hood sides sides back on.....

IMG_2538.thumb.JPG.cc42678872ad60c7ad097

IMG_2539.thumb.JPG.4dfff41206c443d634c91

IMG_2540.thumb.JPG.dfa1aa07138df48d00a0a

IMG_2530.JPG

Edited by DrKerry

Pinch and bob the front rails. Pinch the rails starting at the firewall and bow them in until they fit in the nose. Hack the tips of the frame horns off. 

Make the motor mounts smaller. they're way out of scale. Get yourself some of those Australian PartsBox front "wild drop" I beam axles. 

lay the radiator back, and set the engine back. 

Hey Kerry,

What about just removing the hood sides and showing off

the motor on this one?  Or are you looking to keep it more

aerodynamic for high speed use?

Either way, it looks great so far!!

David S.

Kerry - what frame/chassis are you using currently?  It looks like you're using a '34 body on '32 rails.

I have the same Flintstone body and fount that it fits the AMT '34 Street Rod or ZZ Top Eliminator chassis  like a glove.

The "stock" AMT '34 Ford Coupe frame doesn't fit as nicely under this body.  The OEM bumper brackets seem to get in the way

Yeah it's the 34 with a 32 frame under it. I already have a lot of work in the frame now otherwise I could be swayed into something else...

this where it is so far, cross member is out, rails are pinched and working on getting cross member of some kind back into it.....

IMG_2544.thumb.JPG.7b53322c6629f014d575d

IMG_2545.thumb.JPG.e7208dff6e77000321316

Maybe if you were to narrow the front axle just a bit and add a good set of split wishbone radius rods the front suspension would not appear to be "too floppy". I like the direction you are going with this one; really dig those salty racers.

Looking good Kerry

I wouldn't mess with the hood sides. That is right where your hairpins or split bones are going to reside, and possibly your steering. If you bring those hood sides down you may conflict with the suspension. Plus, I think the cutaway to expose the frame looks cool.