Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tax added on Ebay now?

Has anyone else had this happen? The last few things I've bought of Ebay have had tax added after I purchased the item?? They're not even in the same state?!?! When did Ebay start this bull!?!?!?

Not sure if it is the same but for me when buying on Ebay it is now in most cases that sellers are in the Ebay Global Shipping Program. That means that the seller sends the item to and Ebay address and Ebay then forwards it to the buyer. They also include taxes so that I should not need to pay that when it arrives. The sad thing is, the taxes are in most cases higher than what it would have been without the GSP and it takes a lot longer for it to arrive. I don't really care for buying stuff on Ebay anymore.

I've not see the tax thing before. I generally avoid the GSP cause the shipping charges are usually almost $10 or more higher than the actually shipping from say the US to Canada and I've yet to have Canada Customs slap on duty or HST for a kit or supplies from anywhere in the world. I just bought two kits this week, one from Germany and the other from Japan and neither had any tax added. I'm with Dave, if they want you to pay tax, ask for a tax ID number...sounds like a scam to me.

David

I am not sure about the U.S. but in Canada, you have to pay tax if the item is from a business, but not a personal sale. So, if your seller is a registered business, he must, by law, 'collect all taxes on behalf of both federal and provincial governments' and he must remit the taxes to them. If a Canadian buys an unassembled kit from the U.S., there is no duty but there may be taxes collected. There are no duties on unassembled kits or parts but there is duty on finished products including paints and supplies. Usually, if the item is less than $100, customs does not stop or hold the item, just not worth it. However, if Canada Customs thinks the item is worth more than the claimed value, then they have the right to hold the item for inspection, whether it is a model kit, a television, whatever. I have had a few items that I bought off Ebay held until I could prove what I paid for them. 

If you think that you have been charged taxes illegally, call your government :) 

I just went and did some digging in the auction and found a tiny sentence stating that "Sellers charges tax in multiple states" Is that even legal!?!? How can they charge state tax for a state they're not even in?!?!? This was what the link sends you too:

IMG_3251.PNG

IMG_3250.PNG

To top it off, one of the sellers charged me 8.25% and the current Texas sales tax rate is 6.25%! This sure looks like a scam for the seller to get more money to me! You don't even find out you were charged the sales tax until you get the notice from Paypal telling you how much you paid!

I just found this on Google! They're NOT supposed to be charging out of state tax!! Beware!!!

http://www.ebay.com/gds/BEWARE-OF-SELLERS-COLLECTING-OUT-OF-STATE-SALES-TAX-/10000000002035448/g.html

I heard on the news that Amazon started adding tax too this week.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512 They've been collecting in some states, like Mass. since 2013 according to some sources. They start collecting on all 45 states that charge sales tax on April 1.

Note: This is for items sold directly by Amazon, not through Amazon by third party vendors.

Edited by talon63

I moved from CA to SC in 2015.  Looking for some 5.1 speakers to set up my TV room, Amazon had just what I wanted so I ordered them.  Come tax time last year, I got a statement from Amazon informing me that SC wanted its tax money on that sale.  Brought the statement to my tax person, she said, yep, that's a real thing and you have to pay up.

eBay: I recently bought several items from various states. Just checked and I didn't pay tax on any of them.  I think some sellers are pulling a scam here.  There's more and more of that happening on eBay.

I will never participate in the GSP unless absolutely forced into it.  As others have noted, it's not a good deal for anybody except eBay and PayPal. 

I'm trying to get a couple of eBay sales together right now.  One will be cars/diecast and the other will be 1/35 military, figures and miscellaneous.  Those may be my LAST eBay sales.  Shipping gets more expensive all the time, and I'm tired of being nickel-and-dimed by eBay and PayPal.

If they're in the same state you pay sales tax.  That's pretty standard across the internet.  It's possible the seller has a facility or affiliate in your state. Large eBay sellers will often use regional fulfillment partners it's possible they have one in your state. They would still collect regardless of whether the item shipped from that location. A lot of eBay sellers now just order the item for you off Amazon and send it to you as a "gift"  (I've personally had this happen a couple times lately) so maybe they're charging you for the Amazon tax they'll be paying.  Amazon charges sales tax if there is an Amazon facility in your state if it was sold by Amazon (regardless of  whether the facility it ships from is in your state) or if the seller is in your state for 3rd party Amazon Marketplace sellers.   

You're supposed to pay the sales tax yourself on items bought out-of-state, that's always been the case even before the internet.  It's not widely enforced but I can see states starting to enforce it more due to falling revenues from more and more online sales. 

Source: we sell on Amazon and eBay plus my uncle does SALT reverse audits. :D  

I moved from CA to SC in 2015.  Looking for some 5.1 speakers to set up my TV room, Amazon had just what I wanted so I ordered them.  Come tax time last year, I got a statement from Amazon informing me that SC wanted its tax money on that sale.  Brought the statement to my tax person, she said, yep, that's a real thing and you have to pay up.

eBay: I recently bought several items from various states. Just checked and I didn't pay tax on any of them.  I think some sellers are pulling a scam here.  There's more and more of that happening on eBay.

I will never participate in the GSP unless absolutely forced into it.  As others have noted, it's not a good deal for anybody except eBay and PayPal. 

I'm trying to get a couple of eBay sales together right now.  One will be cars/diecast and the other will be 1/35 military, figures and miscellaneous.  Those may be my LAST eBay sales.  Shipping gets more expensive all the time, and I'm tired of being nickel-and-dimed by eBay and PayPal.

The fees are ridiculous!! I just sold a trailer kit for 202.50 and Ebay and Paypal charged me about 27.00 in fees! They have to be making millions every day!

FWIW, Amazon announced just this week that they are now collecting and remitting sales taxes, based on the state where the customer is receiving the merchandise.

Art

That's always been the case, sales tax is determined by shipping address.  There were only 4 states left that collect sales tax and don't already have an Amazon facility (Hawaii, Idaho, Maine and New Mexico) so it doesn't change anything unless you live in one of those 4 states.  You still don't pay tax on out-of-state 3rd party sales, this just affects direct Amazon sales. 

Edited by Brett Barrow

What if you live in Montana? Montana does not have sales tax, so is eBay and Paypal still charging you?

No.  Not legally, anyway.  They're still going to take their fees out, of course.  Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon are the states that have no sales tax.  Alaska doesn't have a state-wide sales tax, but certain municipalities do have a local sales tax.   Sales tax isn't something you mess around with.   You're better off not charging when you should than charging when you shouldn't.   

To top it off, one of the sellers charged me 8.25% and the current Texas sales tax rate is 6.25%! This sure looks like a scam for the seller to get more money to me! You don't even find out you were charged the sales tax until you get the notice from Paypal telling you how much you paid!

The total state & local tax for San Antonio is 8.25% - https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/texas/rates/san-antonio  

I actually Cancelled Magazine Subscriptions and Book offers from them when they said Sales Tax!

I asked for a Maryland address to send Payment, when they said NO office, etc in Md.

I said NO Tax, or NO SALE

They took that as No Sale only!!

My sister refused an Avon purchase due to sales tax!!

I just got a CHEAP 63 Ford Pickup kit ($14.oo) for the Hood

{Yes I will take Offers on parts I do not Need--Body Damaged!!}

NO sales tax!!

Seller accepted Postal Money Order!!

Sales tax have been Asked for on Mail-Order for Years

But You Could sometimes get it waived

Not sure Now, But I will Laugh at All Bankrupt companies when Mail-Order Dies as they start charging ALL state taxes!

I asked the Right Questions Many times on Mail-Order

Why, Which State is requiring tax

How Long before the state where the Warehouse is Adds their tax to the Purchaser's home state tax

Then The state where the Home office is, then the state where the office Receiving/processing the order,

the EVERY state the item travels through to get to you

Pretty soon the taxes will not only be More than Shipping, But more than the Item

Therefore I REFUSE to pay sales tax on mail-order unless ordered AND Shipped from Maryland Company

The Best Question though is What is NATIONAL Sales tax!!

When they Pause (Normal) or say None, I tell them That is the Sales tax I pay!!!

Refuse, or cancel enough orders, and watch sales tax get Dropped!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Maybe the taxes are something that .... initiated

Probably better to take your politics to another forum ... most of us come here to escape and relax ;)

I do agree on the g/s and never deal with those listings.

mike