Model Cars Magazine Forum

Y Block intake

Hey Guys, Does anyone make a multi single barrel carb set up for the Ford 312 Y block in the Revell 57 Wagon Gasser kit?

I think what you're looking for is a 3- 2 barrel carburetor setup sometimes called 3 2's. I just did a '57 Ford Wagon with a setup from Hart's Parts. Outstanding quality, included the manifold, three carburetors and air cleaners. I also got the same set up for a small block Chevy with great Headmen headers. In the past I have made modified the kits bumpers removing the bumper guards. He offers resin bumpers without the bumper guards and still has the mounting pins. You will have to do the chrome treatment. He even offers universal "Blue Dots" for the tail lights.   

You guys are better than me because I surely didn't know what a multi single barrel carb set up was ? But maybe I'm just old.

You might see 2 or 3 one-barrels on a flathead V8, or an inline. 2 or 3 two-barrels is more common on a flathead.  An OHV V8 multi-carb intake manifold is most likely going to be 3 two-barrels, 2 four-barrels, or six or eight one-barrels, or possibly six or eight 2-barrels (serious overkill).

3 two-barrel setup for a Y-block: though they may look like one-barrels, they're not.

Image result for y-block with three two barrels

Bare manifold, showing the ports for the two-barrel carb throats:   Image result for y-block with three two barrels

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ok... So is this a Y block manifold?

The red one is definitely close enough to pass, or to modify into something a little more accurate.      Image result for Y-block dual 4-barrel manifold

What kit is the white blobular manifold from (in your photo above)?

PS. This is what makes the Y-block manifold so unusual in reality. See the stacked intake ports? No other domestic OHV V8 engine is arranged that way.

Image result for Y-block dual 4-barrel manifold        Image result for Y-block dual 4-barrel manifold

Also note that some Y-block manifolds have full-length flanges that bolt to the heads in the usual fashion, while others are missing a chunk between the intake port runners and the heat risers.

They use a different kind of hold-down, with wide washers like these that span the gap.   Image result for Y-block manifold hold-down

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I was just looking back through the 57 Gasser kit an they do give a dual carb manifold, along with the white one I pictured above Ace. I also found an old version of that part that looks more crisp if I where to use that to start from. I could definitely work on one if there is a need. They mentioned Hart's resin, but I didn't find theirs.

This is a 3-2's I did on a 57 Ranchero motor , just used the kit 4-bbl intake and carefully filed down  the sides of the carb mounting base till the 3-2's fit right then simply glued the tri-power set up in place .

SDC13334.JPG

SDC13335.JPG

Edited by gardnerpag44

The Dual 4's are from the AMY '56 Ford kit . It was an Option for '56 & '57 Both years . The '56 had "Sandcastle Quads" . Quite unique and efficient at that job of Fuel Air mixing . Expensive to produce used from '54 (?) to '56 on Y Blocks . I was privileged to have the experience to rebuild one .. successfully .  Thanx .. 

Edited by dimaxion