Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Bodies: Slingster vs Jawbreaker

Has anyone done a comparo between the Bantam Coupe bodies in the Jawbreaker and the Slingster kits? Is one more accurate or in some way better than the other? I'm thinking of taking one back in the direction of stock-ish and making either a street rod or an Altered out of it.

Snake, the Jawbreaker Bantam body (in orange) seams a little simplified and off to me verses the Slingster body (in maroon). The Slingster one looks more like the Bantams I remember from the 60's.  

Edited by magicmustang

I'd go with the Slingster body. Somewhere around here I have one I started reworking for use as a hot rod body. I filled in the wheel cutouts and the hole in the roof, bought plastic strip to recreate some of the beltline detail, and stopped right about there. 

Cool, but I want to build an Altered or street rod, not a Comp car.

But now I'm thinking of putting the Jawbreaker body on the Kasper Undertaker for an early '60s Comp. Gotta look better than that goofy backbirth body in the kit (though the chassis and engine are pretty interesting looking).

Cool, but I want to build an Altered or street rod, not a Comp car.

But now I'm thinking of putting the Jawbreaker body on the Kasper Undertaker for an early '60s Comp. Gotta look better than that goofy backbirth body in the kit (though the chassis and engine are pretty interesting looking).

The Undertaker was rebuilt from an uncompetitive drag car, the Benicki Brothers' "Chrome Coffin".  The family operated a chrome shop, so the chassis (possibly the engine too) was already chromed when Carl Casper got it.  He swapped the T-bucket body (or maybe reworked it), and replaced the original fuel injection setup with the Potvin/Moon crank-drive supercharger.  I've got a magazine here somewhere with a feature on the car in its original form.  It wasn't Hot Rod or Rod & Custom, it was one of the lesser-known magazines that I can't remember the name of right now.