Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1980 Dodge Ramcharger

Started this one a few days ago. With the exception of the transfer case, it is all going together well. I had to trim a lot off of the transfer case so that the frame would sit tight against the bottom of the interior tub. First color (Tamiya Pearl Light Blue) of the 2-tone paint job went down very nice. Hope I don't mess up the second color (Model Master GTS Blue Pearl). You can see it on the sides of the interior tub. I find it is fairly easy to get runs with the Model Master rattle cans. Will need to keep repeating "Light Mist Coats" as I am spraying it. Not 100% sure what I am going to do with the interior. Will probably go with a blue that is in between the two shades of the exterior. I may also use the Pearl Light Blue (it is a nice looking color) with dark blue carpet.

DSC 0329

Testers Model Master Intermediate Blue would tie the colors together pretty well. It's a military color used on early/ mid war U.S. navy aircraft. It's a blue-ish gray color, and it's a semi gloss so it can be toned down to not look too shiny. Great start to a good kit. ?

Edited by bismarck

Yes, both of the kits I bought had straight bodies. I had my LHS bring them in for me when they first came out. I mentioned that there were issues with warped bodies and the owner told me to go ahead and check before I left the store with them. He wasn't going to let me leave with them if they were warped.

Decided to paint the interior the same as the secondary color of the body, Tamiya Pearl Light Blue. Mainly did this because I really need to use some of the paints that I already have. If I get some time this weekend, I hope the finish painting the body.

DSC 0330

DSC 0331

Turnin' out really good there Mike. Bummer about the transfer case but glad to see that you worked past it. Paint looks good as well. I've had the same problem out of the MM rattle cans but am now dispensing them into airbrush paint jars and shooting it through the airbrush.

Had to stay around the house today waiting for a phone call (2 clubs had meetings today that I could have gone to), so I finished painting the body today. Got a bit of over spray on the front that I am hoping I can touch up or hide with the bumper. I will give it a week before I detail and clear it.

DSC 0332

The interior of your Ramcharger is looking sharp, Michael. What did you use for the 'carpeting'? I like the color and texture of it.

I used Zing Embossing Powder. Can get it online or at places like Hobby Lobby & Michael's.

If you look at the photo of the painted body, you can see a few jars on the shelf.

Edited by Xingu

Really pretty!!! Those Ram Chargers had some gorgeous color combinations.. yours looks really elegant and I like the interior. I had a silver and charcoal one with a red interior for awhile that was very attractive and easy on the eyes, Sure do not see many of these on the road around here any more as they seemed prone to rust issues at an early age. Looking forward to seeing this one done.. I've got one started but packed away right now and I filled in the roof and I think it looks much better.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am happy how this one is turning out. I have left off some of the detailing that should be done, like the rubber gaskets around the windows. I tend to mess that up pretty well, so I purposely didn't try them on this one. I may try to fully detail the other one I have.

Body is now on the chassis.

DSC 0333