Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya White Putty.. Dry Time?

Ive applied the Tamiya white putty to a resin body that I am working on. I applied it two days ago, and it's still tacky. I applied it thin, just enough to cover the work. I was going to build it up after it dried and the shrinking was done. Does anyone think it could be the resin? Has anyone had this happen? 

It could be the resin: mold release still on the part, part not clean enough, or something else.  I've never used Tamiya putty on resin, but thin swipes of it on plastic have always dried overnight for me.  I use Tamiya mostly for filling recessed ejector pin marks...for anything bigger than that I usually go to a two-part product.

I would dig it out and go with a 2 part as Tom said. I quit using the one part "model car" fillers many years ago. Too much shrinkage, even with thin applications. For very small spots I will use the automotive based spot putties (pin holes, small low spots, etc.) Anything bigger and I use a 2 part polyester filler for the fast set-up and to avoid the shrinkage.

Mark

I've soaked the body for a few days in a Bleech White. It's a 63 Galaxie box top, that I removed the side mounding from. I planned on building the rear quarters up a bit, in thin layers, to get the rounded shape to the tail light area. It did dry in other areas that I filled, just the quarters are "tacky". I do have Milliput two part putty. I guess I'll remove it, and try that route. I really need it to be sandable to keep the correct contour of the rear quarters. Thank you for the replies.... I appreciate your help.