Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hooper & Co Diorama

Anglia105E

I see, Tom....... there are various limitations involved with the size of a diorama, like for example I have to be able to get two or even three dioramas into the back of my vehicle for transportation. Also, I need to be able to get those completed projects through the doorway of my house, for loading the vehicle.

David

The end wall of the right hand outer wing of the factory building is now in place, and also the roof section panel has been fitted to the same unit.

Experimented with a few black & white shots of this end of the factory...... also placing a ladder, a dustbin ( trash can ) and the old Austin ambulance to add some sense of proportion. The daylight bulb is set up low down, to create a more dramatic lighting effect. The resulting photos give me some idea of what potentially could be achieved with this type of composition.

David

100_3328.JPG

100_3329.JPG

100_3338.JPG

100_3345.JPG

100_3348.JPG

100_3350.JPG

Hi David

This is impressive work. I can't help noticing what seems to be a scale anomaly - the chap on the corner appears to be much taller than the ambulance and twice the height of the Rolls / Bentley nearest the viewer. Likewise the Rolls behind dwarfs both the other vehicles. Am I missing something?

Not trying to pick holes, but genuinely curious!

Cheers,

-Don.

image.png.37ecf78f8a512157e5af6ef29086c496.png

3 hours ago, DonW said:

Hi David

This is impressive work. I can't help noticing what seems to be a scale anomaly - the chap on the corner appears to be much taller than the ambulance and twice the height of the Rolls / Bentley nearest the viewer. Likewise the Rolls behind dwarfs both the other vehicles. Am I missing something?

Not trying to pick holes, but genuinely curious!

Cheers,

-Don.

image.png.37ecf78f8a512157e5af6ef29086c496.png

Well spotted, Don....... but please allow me to explain. The diorama that you can see in the background is a 1:24 scale diorama of the Hooper & Co showroom building at 54 St James's Street in London from 1958, while I am working on the 1:43 scale diorama in the foreground...... this one is the Hooper & Co factory building at Western Avenue, Park Royal, Acton in London from 1959. None of the larger scale background models belong to the smaller scale factory project in the foreground, apart from the silver Bentley S1 Continental, which is actually a 1:43 scale model car.

Thanks for pointing out the ' scale anomaly ' and I hope my explanation clarifies the scenario for you !

David

Photo shoot during the early hours of this morning was an experiment with a new idea that is forming..... my thinking is along the lines of a new life beginning, which is symbolised by the Mother pushing a pram, in which there is a new born baby. Then as a stark contrast we see the funeral procession, that portrays the end of a life, symbolised by the black hearse with flowers on the roof, followed by a cortege of black limousines.

The end of life procession is moving slowly away from the early morning sunlight...... towards the darkness. At the very same moment in time, a new life is just starting....... moving steadily towards the first light of day.

There is more that can be done with this idea, and I feel that it is important to use black and white photography as a dramatic platform on which to develop the scenario. I can examine closely the shadows, the lighting, the angles of viewpoint and the actual composition. Elements of the composition feature the brick built terraced houses and the old street lamps. Later, I may try out the aerosol spray fog and see how that adds to the effect, which is something that I have played around with previously.

David

100_3533.JPG

100_3536.JPG

100_3543.JPG

100_3560.JPG

100_3579.JPG

100_3586.JPG

100_3587.JPG

100_3592.JPG

100_3598.JPG

31 minutes ago, landman said:

David, if you go see the local fortune teller, don't  be surptised if she tells you that yuou were a poet in a former life. ? All joking aside, that is a very inspired scenario.

Thanks very much, Pat....... and it is surprising what can be achieved with the 1:43 scale models. How marvellous it would be if it could be done in 1:24 scale, although such dioramas do take up a lot more space, as you well know. I could well have been an artist, or a poet or maybe an architect or car designer in a previous life, which would have been great!

David

Working on the two skylights for the upper roof ends, and I might be trying to be too clever for my own good!

As you can see from the following photos, my idea is to saw off the ridged edges from the top of a display case, which will give me the correct profile for each skylight, if the front face is one centimetre and the rear face is two centimetres....... so far, the padsaw has proved to be the wrong tool for the job, while a junior hacksaw is better, but of course it cannot complete the cut all the way down the display case side. Need to get a coping saw to have a go at the real display case, as I am practising on a smaller case to get this right.

You can see from the photo of the Standard-Triumph service depot how these skylights looked on the real factory building back in 1959.

David

100_3698.JPG

100_3701.JPG

100_3704.JPG

100_3707.JPG

standardtriumph-service-depot-768x503.jpg

3 hours ago, tbill said:

I truly enjoy the fact you can build and take excellent photos. I like the fact that you clearly show the build, and then put us ‘in scene’ as it were.

now, where is my next installment??

High praise indeed, Tom !........ Most of Wednesday was taken up with scratch building the petrol pump concrete island ( gas pump ). This is constructed from pieces of foamboard ( foam core if you like ), and I tested during the process to make sure that the super glue and also the Clotted Cream water based paint would not react with the internal foam core in a bad way. The diecast gas pump fits nicely under the canopy of the island, and there is a ' No Smoking ' sign to put on later. The small model island is now painted and drying overnight. My intention had been to use either PVA glue or the hot glue gun, but I decided to be brave and used super glue. The fact that it sets so fast usually makes me nervous, and I fumble with these old fingers if things start to go wrong, such as lining two parts up straight.

David

100_3713.JPG

100_3714.JPG

100_3716.JPG

100_3718.JPG

100_3719.JPG

100_3726.JPG

100_3727.JPG

100_3728.JPG

100_3730.JPG

100_3731.JPG

4 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

Good gravy, this is one cool setup... Man, I've gotta try working with foam board.... Oddly, I've never tried the stuff and a model medium.... Looks quite promising... I think even I could make something wonderful with this stuff, too... ?

I do like foam board, and after watching a very interesting video article by Adam Savage from New York, this seemed to be the medium of choice for building scale models....... but a word of caution; During my most recent Rolls-Royce exhibition last year, the material became very unstable. Basically, the temperature and the humidity inside the event marquee was so high that it caused my buildings, and also the large boards of lettering to warp badly. Much of the background stuff became unworkable and had to be taking down before the show was finished. Having said all that, you can construct some nice structures if you use the right tools and techniques.

David

The gas pump island and canopy is now completed, and after closely examining a reference photograph, a tall black vent pipe has been added. This would have been the vent pipe from the nearby underground storage tank. I made the vent pipe from a length of brass rod, which is coated with black marker pen and then super glued in place, both at the base of the pipe and at the top of the upright support post.

Ready to start work on the static grass areas of the MDF baseboard, along with the forecourt, the paving, the wall and the road surface. The actual factory building will be further back on the baseboard than I had at first imagined, but this should not present any problems that I can foresee.

David

100_3741.JPG

100_3743.JPG

100_3748.JPG

100_3749.JPG

100_3753.JPG

100_3759.JPG

100_3762.JPG

100_3763.JPG

100_3768.JPG

100_3769.JPG

Completed the two scratch built skylights for the roof areas of the Hooper factory building today....... I am rather pleased with these two little structures. Having cut off the top two corners of a display case, the rough edges of each skylight were tidied up with an emery board, and then I painted in the wooden framework of both skylights by hand, using a brown Sharpie.

My intention was to super glue the skylights to the roof areas, but now I have realised that there needs to be a rectangular aperture hole under the skylight glazing, because otherwise anyone viewing the diorama will see through the glass of the skylight and notice immediately that the top surface of the roof has no opening. This would make the skylight pointless. I can measure up the aperture holes and carefully cut away the rectangular panel so that the skylight can be glued at the four corners of each hole.

David

100_3787.JPG

100_3797.JPG

100_3798.JPG

100_3799.JPG

100_3804.JPG

100_3807.JPG

100_3808.JPG

100_3811.JPG

100_3821.JPG

Here are some photos showing the skylights being fitted, now that the rectangular aperture holes have been cut into the roof. A workman has descended his ladder, after completing the job.

I have only just realised that the entrance gate posts to the factory forecourt will not be on the factory diorama, but instead they will be at the entrance to Duke's Road, which is on the terraced houses diorama. From these photos you can see the proposed position of the entrance gate posts, shown here by using two 1:24 scale ' Keep Left ' bollards.

Work is under way to set out the forecourt of this factory, and to ensure that the two diorama baseboards mate up precisely. This is becoming clearer to me, now that I have established the position of the factory entrance gate.

David

100_3824.JPG

100_3827.JPG

100_3828.JPG

100_3830.JPG

100_3833.JPG

100_3840.JPG

100_3842.JPG

100_3844.JPG

100_3854.JPG

100_3856.JPG

Following the delivery of the static grass applicator, and various packs of static grass flock, I have now applied this wonderful material on four areas of grass strips. Before I began my first experience of using the applicator technique, the forecourt and the footpath were given a couple of coats of pure grey emulsion paint.

Having watched a YouTube video showing two different methods of using the static grass applicator, I chose to apply the grass directly to the diorama baseboard, as opposed to using the grease-proof paper and metal foil method. I realised that I could not hammer a nail into the MDF baseboard, so instead I touched the baseboard just to one side of the area I was applying the grass. Seems to have worked quite well, and I am happy with the result. 

You can see in the following photos there is a long thin strip of baseboard showing through, immediately at the edge of one long strip of grass. This is where the wall is going to be glued in place, which is a low white wall that runs the full length of the baseboard and will link up to the gate post at the gas pump end of the factory forecourt.

David

100_3877.JPG

100_3883.JPG

100_3902.JPG

100_3922.JPG

100_3924.JPG

100_3935.JPG

100_3937.JPG

100_3939.JPG

100_3940.JPG

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Now David you have gone and done it, pushed me over the edge.  Convinced me the that the static grass applicator is the way to go.  I have been debating whether to get the applicator and your pictures have settled the debate.

Well, Gary...... I am pleased to hear that I have ' pushed you over the edge ', but in a good way! The static grass applicator is very easy to use, as long as you are careful. The Ebay seller who supplied my applicator, sent me detailed and clear instructions how to use it, along with a link to a YouTube video which shows the whole operation very clearly also. The advice is to wear disposable latex gloves, or rubber kitchen gloves while handling the applicator, just on the off chance that you might touch the crocodile clip on the end of the wire, against the wire mesh of the applicator head. Using the recommended Duracell Ultra batteries this will produce a loud crack, a bright blue spark and an electric shock to yourself.

Once I had spread some PVA glue mixed with a small amount of water onto the area that I wanted to be grassed, then I loaded the hopper with static grass flock and with the crocodile clip gripping a nail, it is simply a matter of shaking the grass over the glue area, keeping the wire mesh close to the surface of the baseboard. The crocodile clip and nail must be in contact with the baseboard, and fairly close to the area that you are working on.

This process is repeated several times, after tipping off the excess grass before each pass. I used two different colours of the grass flock, and it comes in 2 mm, 4 mm and 6 mm sizes.

David

100_3956.JPG

The construction of this diorama is moving forward at quite a pace........ both of the 1:43 scale diorama baseboards have now been brought together, so that I can line up everything precisely. Following the delivery of the road and paving sections, the continuation of Western Avenue has been completed, apart from applying grey pastel powder to the road surface of the factory diorama so that it matches the section of the road on the terraced house diorama. The low wall that will run the full width of the baseboard is nearly ready, and I am experimenting with the idea of plaster cast gate posts for the factory entrance. The wall that you can see in these photos is higher than the cut down version, and is simply there to show how it will be positioned later.

David

100_3956.JPG

100_3959.JPG

100_3970.JPG

100_4014.JPG

100_4015.JPG

100_4016.JPG

100_4017.JPG