Model Cars Magazine Forum

gas station tv

bobthehobbyguy

The station I go to has a "mute" button...first thing I do when the screen lights up is to hit that.  With the new car, I'll be filling up every other week instead of every week now anyway.

Still...really, they can't leave us alone even for that couple of minutes?  What's next, Urinal TV?

D945F2D8-2FC2-4EF5-97CC-E6D1E70E1208.jpeg

^^^^  Beyond belief. Now we can't even p--- in peace.

For those of you not familiar with their views on the subject (and for a really good laugh) I recommend you find the video segments on marketing and advertising by Bill Hicks and George Carlin.

I won't post links, because some of the language may be offensive to more delicate viewers. ;)

I guess there are still a few advantages to living in the rural Midwest. I can honestly say I've never seen one of those TVs either on a gas pump or in the mens' room. Some of you guys will find this amusing, but there are several gas stations around this area that still have the non-computerized gas pumps from the 1970s. No kidding. A couple that I go to regularly have instructions taped to them explaining that the price shown actually needs multiplied by 10 to be correct.

Whatever happened to the full-service stations where the attendant not only filled your tank but also cleaned the windshield and checked the fluids while you were there?  What has happened  to this country?! :D

They still have them!  It's called New Jersey!  :D

I live in Pennsylvania and work in New Jersey.  I buy most of my gas in NJ because they have attendants. I hand over my credit card and can sit there and relax or fiddle with my phone.  They will occasionally clean the windshield too.

And the clincher... gas in NJ is about 20 cents a gallon cheaper than PA!  

They still have them!  It's called New Jersey!  :D

I live in Pennsylvania and work in New Jersey.  I buy most of my gas in NJ because they have attendants. I hand over my credit card and can sit there and relax or fiddle with my phone.  They will occasionally clean the windshield too.

And the clincher... gas in NJ is about 20 cents a gallon cheaper than PA!  

That's true. I forgot that when I go to the NNL-East and need gas I don't have to get out of the car. :D

My mom lived in NJ for several years (in the '70s) and her take on the cheaper gas was that NJ is chock-full of oil refineries, so the gas stations get their products locally (thus it is cheaper). But I'm not sure how true that is.  There probably is more to that than just cheaper wholesale gasoline. It is probably also related to the added-on local taxes or something like that.

That's true. I forgot that when I go to the NNL-East and need gas I don't have to get out of the car. :D

My mom lived in NJ for several years (in the '70s) and her take on the cheaper gas was that NJ is chock-full of oil refineries, so the gas stations get their products locally (thus it is cheaper). But I'm not sure how true that is.  There probably is more to that than just cheaper wholesale gasoline. It is probably also related to the added-on local taxes or something like that.

Added on state and local taxes, nah that's not possible is it???

all of the above. NJ hadn't had a gas tax increase in like 20 years. Political football no governor would touch.  Last October Governor Christie signed a 23 cent a gallon tax increase (from 14.5 cents to 37.5) saying to was long overdue and had to be done to balance the transportation fund.  Gas is still 25-50 cents cheaper a gallon than in Pennsylvania where I live. 

He wisely didn't mess with full service. New Jersey people are very protective of this.  The big gas company lobby wants self service because they will refuse to renew leases on the mom and pop stations, erect convenience stores and run the whole thing with one underpaid employee.  So every so often they get this radio and TV campaign going about how the state is "taking away your right to pump you own gas".  Yea, one of those Tom Sawyer painting the fence things..

Added on state and local taxes, nah that's not possible is it???

Every time gas prices spike here, you get the usual parade of camera-hog politicians shaking their fists and shouting "We're going to investigate this, we demand to know why prices are higher here!" .  Then someone whispers in their ear: "...pssst...it's the taxes", and you never hear from them again...

Speaking of the gas prices, they spiked after the huricanes hit Texas (and affected the refineries there), but they still haven't really gone down to pre-hurricane prices. Funny how that works . . . I bet the next excuse will be that they are switching to the more expensive "winter blend". Um, but wait, isn't the "summer blend" the more expensive blend in the Spring?  :wacko: