Model Cars Magazine Forum

Eldorod into 50 Olds?

Fat Brian

On 11/27/2017 at 2:37 PM, Fat Brian said:

Has anyone tried to put the Foose Eldorod kit into the new 50 Olds? I was going to use Boyd Smoothster chassis parts for a modern custom but the Eldo looks like it might be a much easier swap and it has a modern interior that might fit as well.

It would be a major project, as Cadillac used the GM "C-body, which was physically larger than the bodies used by Oldsmobile.  Revell's 50 Olds 88 Coupe correctly represents the smaller series Oldsmobile of that model year, which was built around GM's A-body,  which both Chevrolet and Pontiac used, Oldsmobile on their less-expensive 88 series.

Art

Besides the body difference, the Foose Cadillac chassis looks like it is based on a stock Cadillac unit (as opposed to the fully fabricated frame under the FD-100 pickup).  It wouldn't look quite right under a Chevy or Olds.  I had figured on a completely new chassis when the kit was announced, and was somewhat disappointed with what ended up in there.  I'd probably have picked up a couple more of them for kitbashing had the chassis been a wholly fabricated one. 

On 11/27/2017 at 2:37 PM, Fat Brian said:

Has anyone tried to put the Foose Eldorod kit into the new 50 Olds? 

You aroused my curiosity, so I just pulled both kits off the shelf and had an actual in-the-flesh look.

While not a drop-in by any means, the Foose Caddy frame, floor and interior can certainly be made to go under the '50 Olds with a little effort.

Actually, the Foose frame can easily pass for a large-car fabricated frame made by somebody like Art Morrison. 

It's designed so that minor wheelbase adjustments aren't anything to get too upset about, and the floor only requires minimal narrowing (trim the edges) to slip up inside the Olds body.

Again, the interior doesn't go in like it's made for the Olds, but it certainly CAN be made to work without too much grief.

I have to agree with Bill on the chassis swap. I'm trying to finish a "50 Olds with a Resin body and the chassis and interior are finished. I set the Eldorado body over the Olds chassis and that looks like a good possibility also. The wheel base is very very close to the Olds so the two should interchange with little or no problems. I couldn't lower the Eldo body all of the way since the inner fenders are in place on the Olds chassis and of course the Eldo inner fenders wouldn't allow the two to come together completely. I think with just a little work you could almost put the two models in a bag and shake them up and it would all turn out just fine. Think of the possibilities of combining these two kits.      

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You aroused my curiosity, so I just pulled both kits off the shelf and had an actual in-the-flesh look.

While not a drop-in by any means, the Foose Caddy frame, floor and interior can certainly be made to go under the '50 Olds with a little effort.

Actually, the Foose frame can easily pass for a large-car fabricated frame made by somebody like Art Morrison. 

It's designed so that minor wheelbase adjustments aren't anything to get too upset about, and the floor only requires minimal narrowing (trim the edges) to slip up inside the Olds body.

Again, the interior doesn't go in like it's made for the Olds, but it certainly CAN be made to work without too much grief.

3 hours ago, espo said:

I have to agree with Bill on the chassis swap. I'm trying to finish a "50 Olds with a Resin body and the chassis and interior are finished. I set the Eldorado body over the Olds chassis and that looks like a good possibility also. The wheel base is very very close to the Olds so the two should interchange with little or no problems. I couldn't lower the Eldo body all of the way since the inner fenders are in place on the Olds chassis and of course the Eldo inner fenders wouldn't allow the two to come together completely. I think with just a little work you could almost put the two models in a bag and shake them up and it would all turn out just fine. Think of the possibilities of combining these two kits.      

Okay, that's encouraging. I've widened the rear fenders on my kit already so the eldo swap might be even easier.

On 11/30/2017 at 8:32 PM, Mr Dedo said:

Pictures of your project, please.

Here is a pic of the body. I cut each rear fender off along the crest of the bulge and added a 1/8th strip to widen the rear end, it's also chopped about an 1/8th, and I added some plastic tubing around the headlights to french them.

large.chop4_zpsd87d6a04.jpg.38579be65997