Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slant 6 cross ram

31 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

There is no replacement for displacement. How much power can you get from that slant six anyway. Maybe power but not torque.You probably couldn't wind them out like todays engines

Actually, low-end torque is where that engine shines...and the long intake runners help it.

370 HP is the highest reliably quoted dyno figure one of these has ever put out, but that's a short-lived drag race motor (Cameron Tilley).

Getting 225 on the street isn't really too difficult normally aspirated, 250 with around 250+ lb.ft. of torque is well documented.

300 should be doable...but expensive.

198dyno.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

7 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

There is no replacement for displacement. How much power can you get from that slant six anyway. Maybe power but not torque.You probably couldn't wind them out like todays engines

Hate to burst your bubble, but not everybody is concerned about power and revs. There's more than one way to overcompensate. :)

3 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Did somebody say Hyper Pak parts from the old Revell Lancer? Because I have those parts, and I just lent them to a reputable caster. I'll keep everyone posted...

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Put me on your list. I have a couple of "resting" projects that need those engines.  :D

Me too! (yeah, yeah like you said... :D)

17 hours ago, Draggon said:

A better pic of the setup.

Image result for 60 Plymouth wagon cross ram

I think this is definitely a case of, "yeah, you could, but why would you". BUT, the world of custom vehicles is full or cars that make no sense whatsoever, but are revered as classics. If we're gonna accept the "art" of the Mysterion, we're forced to just accept that slant as some skilled fabricator just showing off a little. Does it make sense? No. Is it trick? Yep, looks cool. I think Ed Roth would dig it.

Image result for custom car mysterion

I rest my case.

Edited by Jantrix

• 3 months later...

Getting back to what I was saying earlier- you can now purchase a complete Slant Six from Motor City Resin Casters, and the engine includes the optional Hyper Pak parts. I don't think he has it on the site yet, but I'll get some pictures of the contents later. :)