Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 53 Corvette.

Johnt671

Just finished. I broke a few clear parts while doing this one. I broke one of the clear headlights and the clear cover for the rear license plate. It looks OK though. When the weather gets nicer I want to go out in the garage and look for w piece of screen to try to make the headlight covers. It's the first completely stock model I've ever done. The only thing on it that wasn't in the box is the front end emblem.

20180222_140038[1].jpg

20180222_140049[1].jpg

20180222_140119[1].jpg

20180222_140138[1].jpg

20180222_140251[1].jpg

20180222_140343[1].jpg

I do like the look of this build, and the early Corvette has a nicer feel to it than the later ones  in my opinion, although I am biased towards 1950's motor cars anyway. The white paint finish seems a good choice for the model. I didn't realise there was a 6 cylinder version of this car, I thought they were all V8's. Considering you have built the model as it comes out of the box the quality and contents of this AMT kit is very good.

David

Thanks all. I'm looking for another one to build a gasser version, and I can use the parts from that to replace the broken pieces on this build. I'm really hoping I ca use the screen mesh to make more realistic headlight screens. I have some flexible clear plastic that I could make the license plate cover out of. It is a nice kit. The only big problem I had was getting the front end lower.

I picked it up at Ollie's for eight bucks, and I've been back there twice hoping to find another but I guess they're all gone. I have seen some other kits pop up there after they have a big sale on them, so there's still hope. If not I'll (choke cough gasp) have to pay more for it.

20 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

I do like the look of this build, and the early Corvette has a nicer feel to it than the later ones  in my opinion, although I am biased towards 1950's motor cars anyway. The white paint finish seems a good choice for the model. I didn't realise there was a 6 cylinder version of this car, I thought they were all V8's. Considering you have built the model as it comes out of the box the quality and contents of this AMT kit is very good.

David

'53 and '54 Corvettes were all 6-cylinders. The V-8 was introduced for 1955. And all '53 Corvettes were painted Polo White from the factory. Other colors followed, starting in Corvette's second year. 

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

'53 and '54 Corvettes were all 6-cylinders. The V-8 was introduced for 1955. And all '53 Corvettes were painted Polo White from the factory. Other colors followed, starting in Corvette's second year. 

Thanks unclescott58 for the information regarding '53 and '54 Corvettes, and that is unusual for a factory to produce a car in one colour only for a year.... unless it was black in earlier days I suppose!

David

I will be doing a gasser model in the future. I won a 55 Vette kit on E-Bay that has a drag version, and comes with a V-8. The seller included a Revell Parts Pack 283 in the sale, and I also have a fuel injected Gibson mouse engine , or I may go with a big block. Between what comes with the kit and my spare parts box I should be able to do a nice build.