Model Cars Magazine Forum

Steel Wheels - Which Do You Love, Like and Dislike, and Why?

I gotta say- the old Jo Han Mopar steelies (found in original '64-'68 Plymouths, Chryslers, '64 Dodges, and later- widened, in their '64, '69 and '70 Plymouth stock car kits) are the best I have ever found, hands down. The original (non-widened) wheels seem to look the best. I got really lucky and was able to buy a small supply of them (4 sets) at a swap meet many years ago. They. Just. Look. Perfect. (for Mopars, anyway). They are part of the Crown Jewel collection in my parts hoard. I'll post some pics of some later if I can.

Also- Fireball Modelworks does some really nice ones. They do a specific wheel for the '69-1/2 Six Barrel Dodges & Plymouths- it's a heavy duty wheel that Mopar used on those cars, that looked a little different than their regular steel wheels. I'd still give the nod to the Jo Han wheels, though- they look like they were absolutely shrink-rayed. 

Honorable mention goes to the wheels in the MPC/ AMT Dodge Monacos. I know- they are super-wide, but it doesn't take too much to cut the outer rim free and section them a bit.

My big problem is with how dog dish wheelcovers usually fit wheels- they stick out too much, most need to be trimmed in the back to tuck them in before they get mounted. Fireball seems to have this right with the wheels & caps they offer, as the caps fit into cavities that allow them to tuck back as they should.  

Fireball Modelworks also does the later Mopar Cop Car wheel in 1/24 scale (6-hole). They used to do this wheel with detail in the middle, and they were beautiful (I have a set, they go with the Crown Jewels!). Now Fireball only does them to accept the dog dish caps.

Another option is Missing Link's Cop Car wheels, which are just a bit smaller and look like they would work better for 1/25 cars.    

Edited by CapSat 6

On 3/14/2018 at 7:12 AM, Jantrix said:

Revell '29 Model A pick up. Wheels, trim rings, center caps all nicely done.

I think these steel wheels (and the matching wide whites) are the "new" set Revell tooled up to include with the Tweedy Pie and 1/25 '31 Model A Sedan reissues within the last decade or so, too?

On March 14, 2018 at 10:48 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

On March 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

and there are some two-piece wheels AMT (I think) made for one of their mid-'60s kits that had the center detail inside the wheel backs, and the outer part was just the rim. I'll need to post photos of them to try to get them IDed.

Those sound like the open two piece wheels from the AMT66 Ford Galaxie.  They may have been in other kits as well but this is the one I'm sure of.??

On 3/17/2018 at 11:21 AM, geewhiz said:

Those sound like the open two piece wheels from the AMT66 Ford Galaxie.  They may have been in other kits as well but this is the one I'm sure of.

Similar, but not the same - the '66 Vette wheels have the center detail raised; the '66 Ford wheel backs are detailed but nearly flat. Mine match the Vette wheels.

2 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Similar, but not the same - the '66 Vette wheels have the center detail raised; the '66 Ford wheel backs are detailed but nearly flat. Mine match the Vette wheels.

I got ya...been so long I've forgotten about the Vette wheels.

On 3/13/2018 at 3:28 PM, Erik Smith said:

Yes...and, as far as I know, all three make their own wheels, so they are very accurate for the purpose - I don’t think any are copies of kit wheels...?

Yea Ive been trying to reach them to buy a couple of Mapar steelys and redline tires.To complete a 69 SupeR bee.The wheels are the last think to do to complete the model..Anyway,I can't seem to get in touch with them.Fireballsmodels.Joseph is the owner I believe.

On 3/19/2018 at 12:14 AM, NYLIBUD said:

Yea Ive been trying to reach them to buy a couple of Mapar steelys and redline tires.To complete a 69 SupeR bee.The wheels are the last think to do to complete the model..Anyway,I can't seem to get in touch with them.Fireballsmodels.Joseph is the owner I believe.

Sorry for the misspellings....I checked out Fireball models,and I plan to purchase the set of Mopar steel wheels from them.