Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suzuki Samurai

dig

Hey guys, 

Here is a fun Samurai I recently finished up.  I dressed it up in its best late 80's, early 90's attire. 

Lo-pro tires and lowered suspension. 

Old school subwoofer box with waffle grilles and the iconic Precision Power Art Series amp.  

Memphis patterned seat and door inserts. 

Aftermarket steering wheel

scratchbuilt "Zack Morris" brick cell phone.

Crystal Pepsi in the upholder. 

and a Blockbuster video tape. 

20180301_082456.jpg

20180301_082536.jpg

20180301_082841.jpg

20180301_082752.jpg

samurai.jpg

Edited by dig

Cool old Suzuki!  Back in the day I rented one while in Aruba. It was fun tooling around the island.  When I got back to the states I went to a dealer and test drove one.. that's when I realized I couldn't drive one in New Jersey traffic.  Instead I went up one and bought a new 1991 Geo Tracker.  I still have it. 

suzuki notop

My daughter built Samurai back then, to match my Tracker color wise.  It's still in my display case and today she's 34! 

7 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Love it! If I have one complaint it's that it could use some pastel colored squiggly graphics on the doors. :)

Thanks! I've actually been planning on doing that still. I found the pattern they used to make for them. Just need to find someone that can make a good 2 color ALPS decal

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Cool old Suzuki!  Back in the day I rented one while in Aruba. It was fun tooling around the island.  When I got back to the states I went to a dealer and test drove one.. that's when I realized I couldn't drive one in New Jersey traffic.  Instead I went up one and bought a new 1991 Geo Tracker.  I still have it. 

suzuki notop

My daughter built Samurai back then, to match my Tracker color wise.  It's still in my display case and today she's 34! 

Thanks! Yeah, similarly we rented one in Puerto Rico. 

Cool looking Samurai, really like that color.  Back in '74 I was looking for a new vehicle, preferably something smaller and fuel efficient.  Stopped by the Datsun dealer in Sedalia, MO to look at pickups.  They had just got in a shipment of a brand new vehicles called the "Bobcat", which later became the Samurai.  If that vehicle had a track record I may have bought one, after all an $1800 4X4 could have been a lot of fun.  Instead I bought my first Datsun pick-up.

IMG 0761

And here's my 1991 Geo Tracker sitting in my driveway a few summers ago.  Since I'm in Pennsylvania, we don't have a front plate so that's a USVI  St John's plate on the front.  After many trouble free years as my daily driver, it has become my fair weather friend.  I bought a new top a few years ago and haven't put it on yet.

IMG 0764

This year I'm going to put a Pennsylvania Historic tag on it.  You know you are old when a car you bought new qualifies! But it's still the best $11,500 I ever spent on a car.

IMG 0855

I do need to take one of my Suzuki  kits and convert it into my car. I already bought the paint!

Edited by Tom Geiger

7 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Cool looking Samurai, really like that color.  Back in '74 I was looking for a new vehicle, preferably something smaller and fuel efficient.  Stopped by the Datsun dealer in Sedalia, MO to look at pickups.  They had just got in a shipment of a brand new vehicles called the "Bobcat", which later became the Samurai.  If that vehicle had a track record I may have bought one, after all an $1800 4X4 could have been a lot of fun.  Instead I bought my first Datsun pick-up.

That's Cool! I've never heard of the Bobcat.. I assumed the 80's were Suzuki's first venture into making cars. 

The Datsun sounds like the better decision still. 

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

IMG 0761

And here's my 1991 Geo Tracker sitting in my driveway a few summers ago.  Since I'm in Pennsylvania, we don't have a front plate so that's a USVI  St John's plate on the front.  After many trouble free years as my daily driver, it has become my fair weather friend.  I bought a new top a few years ago and haven't put it on yet.

IMG 0764

This year I'm going to put a Pennsylvania Historic tag on it.  You know you are old when a car you bought new qualifies! But it's still the best $11,500 I ever spent on a car.

IMG 0855

I do need to take one of my Suzuki  kits and convert it into my car. I already bought the paint!

Looks like so much fun!

15 hours ago, dig said:

That's Cool! I've never heard of the Bobcat.. I assumed the 80's were Suzuki's first venture into making cars. 

The Datsun sounds like the better decision still. 

If I remember correctly they only lasted for a couple to three years.  There was something to do about the safety of the vehicle and it went away for a few years, but resurfaced as the Samurai.  Yeah, I owned two Datsuns, the first was a blue '74 and the second was a blue '78 King Cab, really loved those trucks.